Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #21
Rav3n805

I loved my trident 13, I just picked up a revo 13 and its a beast but the trident handles way better in the surf hands down. Im going to master the revo then decide from there... both very fishy yaks
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #22
5-20

Curious -- let me jump into this thing and ask a couple of things.

How many rod/reels are you guys able to fit into the rod pod of the T13 comfortably?

The rear tank well has that somewhat unique configuration -- with those molded tabs about 1/3 way in. How do you like that design? Does it make reaching into the baitwell and grabbing those little fish any more difficult considering it's a little farther away from the seat, or give you any issues with how you want to arrange things in the tank well?
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Curious -- let me jump into this thing and ask a couple of things.

How many rod/reels are you guys able to fit into the rod pod of the T13 comfortably?

The rear tank well has that somewhat unique configuration -- with those molded tabs about 1/3 way in. How do you like that design? Does it make reaching into the baitwell and grabbing those little fish any more difficult considering it's a little farther away from the seat, or give you any issues with how you want to arrange things in the tank well?
i fit 4 - 8' rods under the seat towards the back while surf landing and launching. i've also fit 4 good sized halibut (not with the rods...) in through the rod pod well. the molded tabs are to hold a plano box perfectly... i had no problems reaching the bait tank, though i often used a little bait net, it wasn't because i couldn't reach it. i've also cut out the shape of those tabs in a milk crate which locked in the milk crate more forward to the seat. honestly, you'll have plenty of room for wheels, or ice chest, or better yet, fish...

you can always check one out at oex...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
theluckypig

not mine anymore...

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
5-20

Thanks, piggy. Will prob look into doing a demo paddle sometime soon.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #26
Oxbeast1210

Dannowar do you have a pic if your trident with the new seat?
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #27
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
Dannowar do you have a pic if your trident with the new seat?
Here ya go. Honestly it's a great seat because I don't even notice it's there. Haven't been uncomfortable once. It doesn't slide around at all because there's two front tabs on the seat bolted into the hull.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #28
Oxbeast1210

Thnks Dan i cant seem to decide on a paddle
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #29
Wintersun
Junior

I spent years diving from OK Scramblers and a Necky Spike and they were great, especially the Necky, for that use in and around the kelp beds. For surf entries the Necky Spike was better than any kayak designed for fishing.

Fishing with the Necky and later a borrowed Trident 13 I found that 75% of the time I was not fishing but retrieving my line and paddling away from the kelp. Sometimes I could grab some of the kelp and wrap a line around it and use it as my anchor but this was still marginal.

With the Revo I can keep my line in the water while fishing the areas around the kelp and I can troll with one or two rods and with one rod I can better sense when a halibut has grabbed the bait.

I also have noticed that when dealing with strong current and strong winds I am not even fazed when using the Revo. Part of it is the pedal power using my legs and part of it is having a lower profile into the wind than when paddling. It is like the diffference between a standard bicycyle and a recumbent one.

I have greater range with the Revo and going out 10 miles is very doable and I went 5 miles out into Monterey Bay the first day out with the Revo and it was effortless. Adding a sail or a eVolve unit can extend double my range.

I also have more speed if needed though going 4-5 knots instead of 2-3 may not seem like a lot - but with a 2 to 4 knot tidal flow it can make all the difference in the world.

I was apprehensive about the weight of the Hobie boats but have found the 71 lb. weight of the Revo 13 manageable even with my truck's roof racks which are 7 feet off the ground.

The trick is to find a place that will provide a demo boat. I had to make a 2 hour drive to Oakland to demo at California Canoe and Kayak and would expect that to be common for many as Hobie dealers are few in number and of those even fewer are set up to provide boats for a demo.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote