Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Oxbeast1210

hobie vs trident 13

Well I got back from deployment a couple months ago and finally got my family moved out here. with that being said i think i'm finally ready to start fishing again. I currently own an ocean kayak trident 13 but was debating on selling it and getting an outback. I have owned outbacks and pro anglers in the past but that was in west Florida.

Is it worth the price diff to get an outback or should I just stick with the trident and save my money? Im concerned with is how the mirage drive does in the kelp. Also I really like the rod pod feature on my trident to keep my gear safe when launching and heading back in.

Thank you in advance
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
MrPatrick

Use the trident a few times in the surf and you will appreciate the rod pod.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
theluckypig

i originally had a trident 13, traded it for a hobie revo... hated the surf launching and landing... hated the lack of space... missed the storage of the rod pod... ended up trading it for a trident ultra 4.7 and feel that i made the right choice for me. i want a kayak that gives me the best chance to catch fish in all conditions. my 2 cents, keep the trident... its the best (non-pedaling) fishing kayak...

Last edited by theluckypig; 07-15-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: qualifying response...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Oxbeast1210

thank you for the feedback fellas. I've never bought a nice paddle which one do you recommend for the trident i'm looking for speed and efficiency.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
theluckypig

i like my werner... pricey, but it does the job...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Oxbeast1210

WHich model Werner do you use i need a new paddle
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
theluckypig

werner camano, i got it because it was recommended to me from a non-fishing kayaker... you may want to get some info from others, but i am happy with it.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
It all comes down to personal preference...paddle vs. pedal.
Remember with paddle you have to be good at multi-taking...if you pedal you have both hands free to fish, cut bait, rig gear etc.
Everyone here has their preference. You could also find a number of threads about Outback vs. PA's (then 12's vs 14's)
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
easyday

I love my tarpon which is similar to the tridents, just not as at home in the surf ha. I dont k ow if I will ever give up the paddle for the peddle...
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I was always indifferent about my Revo until I went out one day with a ripping current, I was easily able to use my hands for fishing while slowly pedaling to keep myself on structure. If I'm fishing the kelp or harbors, or launching and landing through some big stuff I fish my Tarpon. I heard on the past there's not really one kayak that does it all and thought that was ridiculous, but now have 3 in my garage for that exact reason.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

I have a Trident 15, a Scrambler and now a PA 14.

The Scrambler is to throw on top of my commuter (Civic) if I can cut out of work early and hit Huntington Harbor for a few hours with 2 rods and a tray of plastics. Also for putting one of my kids in and towing them around with teh Trident or PA when they get too lazy/tired/bored to paddle for themselves

I have had the Trident 15 for roughly a year, and a Prowler 15 for a couple years before that. This has been my go-to for everything until getting my ass handed to me by a black seabass at the Baytubers tourney. Paddling back after a mile sleigh ride and about an hour of tug-of-war (I'm sure I will be corrected on this ) and the associated wasted arms I was really envious of those with peddle power. I will be hanging on to the Trident for surf or other situations where the PA will be too unweildy. I love the rod pod and it seems to fit me aand my paddling style pretty well. I also plan on using the Trident when the plan involves a lot of surface kelp.

Pro Angler 14 is new to me. I am looking forward to the stability (not a problem on the Trident or Scrambler either) and using my legs for propulsion but I am dreading the loading/unloading on top of my SUV. I made runners out of 2x4s to help, but we will see how I do after a day on the water. Also, will be interesting the first time I need to pull it up on the dock (Redondo) and insert the scupper wheels. This thing is a beast! I will have to make a conscious effort NOT to bring along too much crap as it will be really tempting with all that space I don't have on the Trident or Scrambler.

Before these three I had a Prowler 15 (same hull as Trident, different deck configuration) and a Scupper Pro Tankwell. Loved them both, but my needs evolved so they were passed on to new homes.

Maybe more info than you were looking for, but hopefully there is something you can use.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
MrM

I had a T13. I loved it. Great kayak, fun to paddle and great in the surf. I upgraded to an Outback a few months back and will probably never go back to a paddle kayak. I'm not saying that the Trident was somehow flawed in any way, it was a great ride. But the Outback is just a whole new level of a kayak.

Hands free fishing is just so much better. Looking back, I can't believe how much time I spent paddling back and forth and not actually fishing...

Trident Pro's- Easier to move around. Lighter. Better in the surf. More storage below deck (Rod Pod!!!)
Trident Con's- Less time fishing, more time paddling.

Outback Pro's- You'll fish more. You'll enjoy being OTW more. It's simply more fun.
Outback Con's- Lots of hull-slap in the water. Not so good with storage of rods if you do a lot of surf launching. It also costs much more.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
GregAndrew

To tell you the truth, it is truly an individual choice based on your wants and needs. Living in SD is a special situation with a protected launch at LJ and a couple of big harbors to choose from, there is little need for a surf launching kayak. The exception is if you want to be able to launch at other locations with less than desirable conditions. There are other notable exceptions: like fishing rockfish is probably better on a Hobie and fishing in the kelp for Calicos is probably easier on a paddle kayak. I can tell you for sure that, as incredible as it may seem, you can fish and paddle at the same time. And just about every person that tells you you need a Hobie to hold your rod while pedaling has a rod holder on each side of their kayak and one hand on there rudder control.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Greg just buy a PA....so you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
tacmik

[QUOTE=MrM;200381]I had a T13. I loved it. Great kayak, fun to paddle and great in the surf. I upgraded to an Outback a few months back and will probably never go back to a paddle kayak. I'm not saying that the Trident was somehow flawed in any way, it was a great ride. But the Outback is just a whole new level of a kayak.

Hands free fishing is just so much better. Looking back, I can't believe how much time I spent paddling back and forth and not actually fishing...

Trident Pro's- Easier to move around. Lighter. Better in the surf. More storage below deck (Rod Pod!!!)
Trident Con's- Less time fishing, more time paddling.

Outback Pro's- You'll fish more. You'll enjoy being OTW more. It's simply more fun.
Outback Con's- Lots of hull-slap in the water. Not so good with storage of rods if you do a lot of surf launching. It also costs much more.[/Q

I do take exception to less time fishing and more time paddling. I have never had a problem keeping up with other people on their hobies with my t-13. Yes, there are times when a hobie is better just as there are times when a paddle kayak is better. I will take a T-13 in the surf anytime over a Hobie and when fishing the boilers next to a jetty, try backing up in a hobie, just doesn't work. It all comes down to what you prefer and the pros and cons of each.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Oxbeast1210

Thabks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions . Im going to stick with the trident for now but im anxious to see the new ourback. I hear it has a vantage style seat and a flat deck..... anyone heard anythinf?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Outback with a vantage seat...?

I guess you never know....never thought there would ever be a PA17....
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Was thinking about replacing my '13 Outback for a '14 just for the scupper transducer. But every time I buy something, a newer Model/Style/Version comes out! I was hoping HOBIE would make a major improvement (like a Vantage style seat) to the Outback to warrant an upgrade (though I was expecting them to take a couple more years)!
If/when HOBIE comes out with an Outback with a Vantage seat...I'll be one of the first to order one ! Will solve my back problems and modifying my aftermarket seats to increase Lumbar support!!!
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #19
momo fish

Yup that's the big rumor. Bigger than lebron going back to Cleveland. And we know how that ended.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
Dannowar

The new trident has an awesome seat. Just picked up a new 13 after sellin my PA and have not regretted it at all. No getting stuck in kelp. No zig zagging or holding a rudder to try and stay straight. The rod pod is sick and plenty if storage options. Pedaling was nice but I'm stoked in getting back to basics.