Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
wms,Jr
Junior

Info wanted

My son and I are just startin this coastal fishin thing. I have some experience with bass in the kelp and scampis and the like, from 20 years ago, but would like to delve further into it. Can't see goin as big as some of you do with the sharks and giant white sea bass but would like some tips on pullin some bass outta the kelp at Swamis or Pipes, maybe also if there are any fish up around Carlsbad or Oceanside Harbor. We have the basics, poles, boardfisher boxes, some plastics and irons, need the current techniques and spots. Never blogged before, hope this is in the right spot.
wms,Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
MuddyMike

Do you plan on fishing from kayaks? or are you looking for fishing info in general. I don't have anything else based on the answer, but others might.

Check out the 'Information' link above. There's some good articles there. ( http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=infohome )

Here's another good list of articles: http://www.plasticnavy.com/kayak-fishing-articles.htm
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
j mo

Swamis / Pipes / Beacons will be easy pickens for you and your boy, but make sure you choose a day when the surf is tiny as launching from n county takes a little more planning.... ffice

Root beer scampi’s will work great and white shad produces as well and in summer you'll want a croc to play with the barricuda; or you can talk to Jake at Blue Water Tackle and he'll help you spend your money on give you advise on colors etc.

Set yourself up w spectra if your fishing near the kelp and you'll be able to pull just about anything through it, as it will cut the kelp unlike mono.

Bait making is a breeze, set your son up w a sabiki and you will catch greenbacks w pretty much no effort, especially on inside of the Cardiff kelp. If fishing the kelp w live bait troll along the backside. Be advised there are big lurking underneath that kelp.

Read up on halibut rigs too, some very good fishing all along the campgrounds. Best spot imo is the where the reef and ell grass ends just north of pipes. structure meets sand, a natural setting for the ambush. you can drift in from 35' to 6' and you’re bound to get picked off....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
wms,Jr
Junior

Thank you, not sure if this is gonna get to you, i'm just gettin used to the site, do you know of anything around Carlsbad or Oside with fish
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
wms,Jr
Junior

goin to fish from SUPs
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
j mo

While Ive never fished from a sup prior to the discovery of a the kayak I used to bungee a milk crate onto my 10', youll catch fish either way though.

Havent fish cbad or oside but quite a few people here do so im sure you will get some replys. Good luck, and I assume your not going out today as surf is booming right now.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
wms,Jr
Junior

No, goin to the Oceanside Harbor tomorrow, hopefully there are some fish up here, thx