Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

VHF Radio

What is a good waterproof VHF radio that will last along time for kayak fishing?
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
RK

standard horizon 851x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
What is a good waterproof VHF radio that will last along time for kayak fishing?
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

http://www.turtlemarine.com/standard...71ssilver.html
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Quote:
WD get the one I was going to loan you the other day i-com the float, but as you know if you get in the water you still need it leashed less they float away, I have two both work great and it has been in the water
a few times....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:

Icoms are great, get a floater...

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
theluckypig

i also have the i-com and it works great. i'd recommend it, although i'm starting to have a problem with corrosion on the battery connectors... i rinse and dry them every time, but it will be a problem in the near future for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
WD get the one I was going to loan you the other day i-com the float, but as you know if you get in the water you still need it leashed less they float away, I have two both work great and it has been in the water
a few times....b
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

get one that floats for sure. I took my brand new one that I got for Christmas, and did not tether it to myself or my boat and it bumped into the bay while I was at the bait barge. I've replaced it, but make sure you get one that floats.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
i also have the i-com and it works great. i'd recommend it, although i'm starting to have a problem with corrosion on the battery connectors... i rinse and dry them every time, but it will be a problem in the near future for sure...

I found the icom at amazon for 166.00 is this a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-M34-Wa...5937346&sr=8-1
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I've only had mine a month and love it. The only cons so far is the waypoint entry needs some usability refinements and the vhf as a whole is a bit bulky. The dual channel watch is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
standard horizon 851x
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

yeah amazon price is probably as low as you will find that radio...b
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
Have you tried putting a layer of grease on the connectors? I think there is a certain kind to use. When I got my used one, the previous owner had put grease on it to prevent corrosion.

Yup: http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/1777--...rease-8oz.html
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
wiredantz

I was looking at the Icom, but it doesn't really have something to tie it too..? Like myself except for the belt clip

The radio seems to bulky to just have the belt clip on my PFD. I would perfer a radio that i could tie to my PFD or kayak without having to worry about my radio floating away because a boater decided to create huge wakes and have them spash down on my yak.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-GMR3689.../dp/B0045EK5TI

Features:
  • 22 Channels
  • 142 Privacy Codes
  • 143 Group Codes
  • Group Call – call only the persons in a specified group
  • Direct Call – call only one person in your group without the others hearing
  • Headset Jack – lets you use an optional headset for handsfree operation (Unit is not submersible when using a headset accessory)
  • Radio Name Assignment
  • NOAA Weather Alert
  • Maximum allowed power gives you the best range performance. Trying to contact someone directly without disturbing others in your group? Use the direct call with caller ID on this radio and you can. The automatic channel change lets you change your group to another channel to get away from interference. The roger beep lets you know when others finish their transmission.
  • The FCC requires GMRS operators to have a license. Application information is included in the owner's manual. No license is required for operation of FRS channels 8-14 or any channel in Canada.
These radios look great to use if i bring a fishing buddy along, but it doesn't have any emergency channels, but just wanted to bring the model out because it has a huge loop where you can tie it to the pfd or kayak.

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-25-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
dorado50

you began by asking about a good marine vhf ,you got all kinds of good advise and now your wanting to buy walkie-talkies? What gives?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
I was looking at the Icom, but it doesn't really have something to tie it too..? Like myself except for the belt clip

The radio seems to bulky to just have the belt clip on my PFD. I would perfer a radio that i could tie to my PFD or kayak without having to worry about my radio floating away because a boater decided to create huge wakes and have them spash down on my yak.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-GMR3689.../dp/B0045EK5TI

Features:
  • 22 Channels
  • 142 Privacy Codes
  • 143 Group Codes
  • Group Call – call only the persons in a specified group
  • Direct Call – call only one person in your group without the others hearing
  • Headset Jack – lets you use an optional headset for handsfree operation (Unit is not submersible when using a headset accessory)
  • Radio Name Assignment
  • NOAA Weather Alert
  • Maximum allowed power gives you the best range performance. Trying to contact someone directly without disturbing others in your group? Use the direct call with caller ID on this radio and you can. The automatic channel change lets you change your group to another channel to get away from interference. The roger beep lets you know when others finish their transmission.
  • The FCC requires GMRS operators to have a license. Application information is included in the owner's manual. No license is required for operation of FRS channels 8-14 or any channel in Canada.
These radios look great to use if i bring a fishing buddy along, but it doesn't have any emergency channels.
did you go to the store and actually look at it, or just look at the picture online? google is good for some things, but not all... the radio has a lanyard that you can tie to or wrap around or whatever you want... its just like any other lanyard found on point and shoot cameras and such electronic devices... either get a VHF or don't waste your money... walkie talkies are a JOKE. Icom is the best brand and is very reliable. West marine will hook you up... its a cheap very worth while investment and I wouldn't feel safe on the water with out it...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
dos ballenas

Quote:
I found the icom at amazon for 166.00 is this a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-M34-Wa...5937346&sr=8-1
NO

and if it "breaks" you can't walk in and exchange it no questions asked... buy the warranty at west marine.... oh ya, the west marine sale price is the same price, if not cheaper.... even if its not on sale you can still get the sale price. Just tell the sales associate that you had seen it on sale recently and you were interested in the sale price... don't be scared

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
did you go to the store and actually look at it, or just look at the picture online? google is good for some things, but not all... the radio has a lanyard that you can tie to or wrap around or whatever you want... its just like any other lanyard found on point and shoot cameras and such electronic devices... either get a VHF or don't waste your money... walkie talkies are a JOKE. Icom is the best brand and is very reliable. West marine will hook you up... its a cheap very worth while investment and I wouldn't feel safe on the water with out it...

Sweet, i didn't see the lanyard on any of the images. I need to go check them out.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
you began by asking about a good marine vhf ,you got all kinds of good advise and now your wanting to buy walkie-talkies? What gives?

Sorry Dorado, I wanted to make a comparison to the plastic loop on the walkie talkie. This model would of been good if it was a VHF, but the other member pointed out that the Icom actually has a lanyard.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
dos ballenas

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16885-...vhf-radio.html

the sale price is cheaper... and yes buy the warranty... it makes it idiot proof.

I own this radio and like it. Although Icom does make a better unit... the m72

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...cid=RR_7834856

The 72 is smaller and also transmits with more power. It transmits on a 6 watts setting which is the most powerful VHF on the market. It also has a higher water proof rating. Although it doesn't float. The floating part is a gimmic though. I do not expect to find my M34 if I lose it overboard. If it goes overboard it will probably be when Im not paying attention, and I will never know where i lost it... finding a floating object that small in even 2 foot wind swell would be like winning the loterey... buy the m72 is my recomendation. More power equals more range... but understand this is "line of sight".

Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16885-...vhf-radio.html

the sale price is cheaper... and yes buy the warranty... it makes it idiot proof.

I own this radio and like it. Although Icom does make a better unit... the m72

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...cid=RR_7834856

The 72 is smaller and also transmits with more power. It transmits on a 6 watts setting which is the most powerful VHF on the market. It also has a higher water proof rating. Although it doesn't float. The floating part is a gimmic though. I do not expect to find my M34 if I lose it overboard. If it goes overboard it will probably be when Im not paying attention, and I will never know where i lost it... finding a floating object that small in even 2 foot wind swell would be like winning the loterey... buy the m72 is my recomendation. More power equals more range... but understand this is "line of sight".
The floating might be a gimmick, but i will be indeed looking for my radio in case it goes overboard and that is the very reason i want to tie it to something.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Quote:
The floating might be a gimmick, but i will be indeed looking for my radio in case it goes overboard and that is the very reason i want to tie it to something.
Hey Wd...I have both the m34 and m72 the 72 is not all that much smaller but it is THE radio to have, now, in the event of a water landing, I have installed on my radio a leash, drilled a small hole in the outer portion of the factory clip and used the 99Cent store phone charger or headphone cord, someone has posted the directions in Innovations on the discussion
forum, if you need help with this let me know...b