Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Line to Leader

Ok guys and gals, lets hear how you rig your lines. I have been tying the main line to a swivel with a uniknot and same from the other end of the swivel to the leader and then to the hook with a loop knot for more freedom. Mainly for the mac trolling..

I was reading one of my books last and am encouraged to try the line to leader knots as they are not too far off from a uniknot. but what about breaking strength? Do they hold up, slip ect. So lets hear what ya got?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-3dcXkqUKk
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Nic D

i just skip the swivel and go uni to uni
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
dorado50

I like the trial and error knot, good slippage and breaking strength. If that fails go with the bimini/allbright.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

The knot that most people use is the Uni to Uni knot to splice their lines together. I like the Albright knot, if tied correctly it holds and is very strong, actually so is the double Uni. The Double Uni seems to be the quickest and easiest and that's why a lot of people use it. I recommend learning those two knots and you'll do better.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
Ok guys and gals, lets hear how you rig your lines. I have been tying the main line to a swivel with a uniknot and same from the other end of the swivel to the leader and then to the hook with a loop knot for more freedom. Mainly for the mac trolling..

I was reading one of my books last and am encouraged to try the line to leader knots as they are not too far off from a uniknot. but what about breaking strength? Do they hold up, slip ect. So lets hear what ya got?

Now THAT is a very, very sad statement. With a name like TunaSeeker...I would NEVER admit to "mac trolling"...soon people, very soon (I hope).

Last edited by Deamon; 01-13-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

ok, bad choice of words. How about when you pin on a mac, or squid....looking for or
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post

The link that yo have in your thread is what the Uni Uni knot is like, I recommend searching Youtube for the Uni knot and the Albright knot. One thing to keep in mind when you are splicing braid to Mono or Floro is you want to wrap the Mono or Floro around the braid not the braid around the floro/Mono if using the Albright knot, and if using the Uni Uni have the Braid up on top for the same reasons. The braid will cut right through the mono/floro if it's wrapped the wrong way. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
The link that yo have in your thread is what the Uni Uni knot is like, I recommend searching Youtube for the Uni knot and the Albright knot. One thing to keep in mind when you are splicing braid to Mono or Floro is you want to wrap the Mono or Floro around the braid not the braid around the floro/Mono if using the Albright knot, and if using the Uni Uni have the Braid up on top for the same reasons. The braid will cut right through the mono/floro if it's wrapped the wrong way. Good luck.

say what? splice braid? Are you sure this is right?and you actually use a uni/uni with braid.Interesting..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Nic D

is using a uni to uni that unconventional? thats all I've ever used.

Knock on wood, but I've never lost a fish due to a uni to uni failing. In fact, last october I was able to take a 50# YFT on a 20# fluorocarbon leader uni to uni to 50# Izor.

but I've haven't "spiced" braid

I did a google search on trial and error knot but came up empty, any idea where I can find some info on it?
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
dorado50

oops, I need more coffee. I was seeing spectra and not braid...
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Dan

mono to flouro. Seaguar knot. So easy.

Uni/uni is fine, but it's two knots to tie.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
mono to flouro. Seaguar knot. So easy.

Uni/uni is fine, but it's two knots to tie.
I agree with this right here. I love the Seaguar knot for the Mono/Floro, and the Albright for Braid(Spectra) to Mono or Floro.

Many fisherman on other sites use the Uni Uni knot for splicing all their line types.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
say what? splice braid? Are you sure this is right?and you actually use a uni/uni with braid.Interesting..
Wow, did I say something that is not allowed on this site?

I know a lot of people that use the Uni/Uni with braid and all their lines. Is there a problem with that? Explain please.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
Billy V

I like a small swivel with SD knots - mono to spectra

a double surgeon or triple surgeon or, seaguar for mono to mono.