Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
spyakker

YellowTail Set up

Hey guys,
I've searched the forums and online but can't really seem to find my answer. I'm looking for a set up to fish YellowTail, WhiteSea Bass, Halibuts, Rockfish ect. I'm on a budget on about 300 for both. (looking to buy used)
I've been looking at Shimano Torium 20 reels and lower end Avet reels but am unsure.
Any input on rods and reels for that price range would be great.
Also what should I be looking for from those reels. ex. single speed/double speed, line capacity, rod length.
I'm looking for a set up that would allow me to have fun and be sufficient enough for big fish.
Thanks!
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Torium 20 and any avet is fine for all of those fish. Come down to if you prefer lever or star drag. And for a rod I would say 15-30, 15-40. I like 8' personally
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Raskal311

I have a diawa saltist 40H on a seeker America rod 20 (30)40, reel filled with 300 yard of 65lb power pro and about 50 yards of 30lb mono. Everying in great condition $260 firm lmk

IMO the saltist is better then the torium (Sold my torium 20 last month).
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
What line size are you looking to use and are you planning on using mono/fluorocarbon or braid?
If your looking for recommendations with mono, my personal preference (which I use) would be a Calstar 196-8, an 8' 15-20# rod with my Sealine 20. This is my "go to" live bait and light plastics/swimbaits, calico/sand/spottie bass/halibut outfit.
My next setup is a 25# Seeker SJ-85 with a Newell 322-5 (or Penn Tiburon 99) for larger live bait (sardines, small macks), medium plastics/swimbaits, and surface jigs. This is my heavier "go to" outfit for calico's in heavy kelp, and light line and outfit.
I also use a 30#, Calstar 530 with a Penn 112 (Tiburon 3/0) outfit for larger live bait (sardines, small macks), big plastics/swimbaits, surface jigs and light yo-yo jigging.
Finally, I use a 40# Calstar 6465 with a TLD 20 for heavy yo-yo and big live macks.
If you go with the Avets you can always upgrade to braid also if you go with the Raptor versions (which you might not be able to with the Sealines as I'm not sure what the spool is made of these days) but you might want to check line capacity!
These are just my suggestions and I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions/suggestions.
Check the forum classifieds or PM FISHOHOLIC he always seems to have something along the lines of what people are looking for!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Irishman

I second reaching out to Fishaholic. Amazing selection of gear at good prices and in great condition
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
chancy94

I have a torium 20 and love it for casting surface irons with an 8' rod, perfect size for me for casting from a kayak.

Explore More http://voidventure.blogspot.com/
chancy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

+1 for Fishaholic.

For the reel, make sure you have sufficient line capacity, and the drag is capable of fighting the fish the way you want to fight the fish.

For the rod, pick something that has some backbone to it, and where you can reach the tip around the bow or stern of your kayak without releasing your grip (in case the fish goes under your boat).

For me, this means a Shimano Corvalus 401 with an 8' Shimano TDR Medium Heavy with 50lb PowerPro because:
  • Some vanity - I wasn't a big fan of the flashy gold Cardiff
  • Enough Line capacity to go DEEP fishing off Catalina when needed
  • Relatively low profile for such high line capacity
  • It is my "one rig to fish them all" setup.
This setup has landed Medium-sized Yellowtail (I have yet to hook up a 20lb+ yellow), Rockfish, countless bass, countless Bonito, large bat rays, large guitarfish, and one very mean ~5' Angel Shark.

After a 60+ Bonito day in 2014, I upgraded the drags to CarbonTex because the OEM drag washers started slipping towards the end of the day.

I think most guys here use heavier gear... I suppose I like to give the fish more of a fighting chance.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
spyakker

Thanks for all the inputs! Looks like a lot of good information and a lot more research I need to do to determine what I really want in a set up. Def, meeting up with fishoholics at fred hall this weekend.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
taggermike

One rod for every thing can be a tough call. Some thing right for rock fish wont keep a big yellow out of the kelp.
IMO its better to go heavy. A reel with a decent drag that can hold 200-300 yards of line on a 6-7' rod rated to fish 30lb will be fine. My heavy bait set up is a shimano TLD 15, with 250 yards of 65lb braid, on a calstar west coast rod. I bought it from fishaholoc. Don't remember exactly what I paid but it was a good value. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
+1 for Fishaholic.

For the reel, make sure you have sufficient line capacity, and the drag is capable of fighting the fish the way you want to fight the fish.

For the rod, pick something that has some backbone to it, and where you can reach the tip around the bow or stern of your kayak without releasing your grip (in case the fish goes under your boat).

For me, this means a Shimano Corvalus 401 with an 8' Shimano TDR Medium Heavy with 50lb PowerPro because:
  • Some vanity - I wasn't a big fan of the flashy gold Cardiff
  • Enough Line capacity to go DEEP fishing off Catalina when needed
  • Relatively low profile for such high line capacity
  • It is my "one rig to fish them all" setup.

This setup has landed Medium-sized Yellowtail (I have yet to hook up a 20lb+ yellow), Rockfish, countless bass, countless Bonito, large bat rays, large guitarfish, and one very mean ~5' Angel Shark.

After a 60+ Bonito day in 2014, I upgraded the drags to CarbonTex because the OEM drag washers started slipping towards the end of the day.

I think most guys here use heavier gear... I suppose I like to give the fish more of a fighting chance.

You will definitely be testing the drags of that round bait caster when you hook up to a yellow 30lbs +. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's definitely a good way to test the drag in your reel. You might find yourself buttoned down pretty quick to not get spooled by something of that nature.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
bubblehide

Personally, I think you need more than one set-up. But, if I were to only have one set-up, I would go with an 8' true 40 pound rod and a reel like a Penn Fathom 25N, Saltiest, Avet or the like. You have plenty of choices in both rods and reels. But keep in mind, that old saying, cry once, pay once. Ideally down the line, you will have several set-ups.

John is a good, he'll take care of you in both equipment and price. His brother, well he's okay
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
bubblehide

Let me add, I would spool the reel up with spectra, and go with a short topshot.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
spyakker

Maybe in the future I will get more set ups, but for now I can only afford one so I want to have something that is diverse.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
chxh8me

New Uglystik 12-30 with a used sealine/saltist 20
And
New Uglystik 20-50 with a used sealine/saltist 30 or 40

Both of those setups would run you about $300, or probably less if you dig around or find coupons to buy the rods with. And they would have you covered from bass to yt/wsb (and tuna on party boats).

I had a torium forever... Just like my saltist more. Seems more robust... Though the finish on the silver saltists are crap. But i don't care cuz they are dedicated kayak reels.
Both toriums and saltists are easy to maintain. Stock drags on the torium turn to dust when you have big fish pulling on the other end. Stock drags in saltists last longer.

Both utilize anti reverse bearings... But I've only heard of these going bad in the torium, and not the saltist (not to say that they won't).... Which lead to a knuckle buster.

For lever drag my choice would be an avet sx or mxj
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
You will definitely be testing the drags of that round bait caster when you hook up to a yellow 30lbs +. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's definitely a good way to test the drag in your reel. You might find yourself buttoned down pretty quick to not get spooled by something of that nature.
Honestly, I'll be beyond-excited when this happens.

If it can run 300 yards+, I'll have the proof (a really good excuse) I need to get some more fishing-gear budget from the family accountant.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #16
momo fish

Love my ugly sticks !!! Never failed or broken guides so far..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #17
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
What kind you got Mo? Seen the ugly stik tiger lite jigging rods ? Mad light, rated 50-100 lbs, $69!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
spyakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
What rod length do you have? I think the longest they have is a 6"6?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #19
momo fish

YellowTail Set up

The 2 I use everytime I'm out are ugly stick tiger 7' medium 30-60 and another 7' rated medium light 12-30 for smaller jigs and fish.

Bought them used 5 years ago and I abuse them but somehow won't fail! Rather spend money on a better reel than a better rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
What kind you got Mo? Seen the ugly stik tiger lite jigging rods ? Mad light, rated 50-100 lbs, $69!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #20
chxh8me

Caught all my kayak yt and wsb on ugly stiks. Caught my first ever (party boat) yt on one of the same ugly stiks I still use on the yak. Can't beat them for the price. Mostly use the 20-50 7ft. But have the 30-60 7' for jigs now.

<---- ugly stick fish
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote