Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
surfisher

Who's going to be the first to rig this up for fishing...

Stumbled upon this on the great ol' interwebs.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
[SIZE="3"]At first glance I have many concerns. I have to get more specs before deciding on whether this could be "practical" for fishing purposes.

As a first PRIMARY safety concern, is it equipped with a "kill switch tether" in case the operator falls over (otherwise plan on swimming to safety or after it... !)? How is the unpowered primary and secondary stability?
How is it powered...gas or diesel? What size is the battery requirement? I'd like to see how/if you access the motor for maintenance.
It doesn't look long enough to be practical for offshore use.

What is it made of, how thick is the material made of in the most likely areas of possible grounding or collision with unexpected floating submerged objects. What safety features are built-in. Another big concern...how much does it weigh (think about paddling it if the power goes out)? How would you transport this down to the water? Assuming this weighs as much as 100+lbs. (due to the motor), is there a "special" cart for it or would a regular cart be able to support it? I'd also be willing to bet it would require a trailer. I don't see it possible on most roof racks, I'd pay $ to see someone trying to load one up there let alone finding a rack that can handle the weight!

Have/How has Coast guard classified this vessel (since it is powered I would guess it would require yearly CG inspections)? Since the motor seems to be a permanent part of the Kayak will it require running lights like regular power vessels?

My personal observation just from observing the Video seems like there is limited storage area. Given there is an engine inside I doubt there is much "under deck" space storage for tackle, rods, installment of rod holders (unless they are above deck "RAM" type mounts etc. Although there is some deck space behind the operator I'm wondering if you could fit a bait tank back there, it seems narrow.

The only positive I can see is being able to fish areas that would be outside the realm of the average paddle's endurance (freshwater/inshore).
Aside from that I see this as being another "Jet ski" type toy.

This is just my .02 opinion.
FFY [SIZE]
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Two of those as outriggers would rock
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote