Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Freshwater bass swimbaits?

Huddlestons, Castaic, Lake Fork, Savage gear etc - anybody ever cast or troll these in saltwater?
Gonna pick some of these up for LMB fishing http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Savag...page-SGLT.html

curious to know if they've been used with any success for YT or Halibut
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Kevin Mattson from bass Kings uses triple trouts for big calico. I have a river to seas s waver that I know would work for halibut in the right conditions. On the flip side I know people have been having allot of success using wax wings in fresh water for big striper. The number of applications for each lure you own is only limited by your imagination.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

The new savage gear glide swimmer is a nice new hard swimmy. Great action. And cheaper than the triple trouts and roman mades. Would work for LMB, stripers and definitely the checkered ones.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Those are pretty good-looking baits. I would be concerned about the surface one getting picked up by scuba chickens or pelicans... and maybe it looks a little TOO real and it gets picked up by a sea lion.

I use Freshwater lures (crankbaits/hardbaits) in the ocean all the time. Just switch out the rings/hooks to something a little stronger and resistant to rust.

There's not much you can do about the metal loops coming out of the body. I use Rapalas and Bass Pro Shops, and the loops on those appear to have a good amount of rust resistance.

Also, if you have suspending lures, you'll need to adjust the buoyancy otherwise they basically become floating lures in saltwater.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Drill small hole and add lead bb's. Now the Swimbait rattles and sinks. Seal it back with silicone. And could always use these hard swimbaits on a long dropshot loop.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
blitzburgh

What others have mentioned is good info. I have tried LOTS of freshwater baits in the salt and most work. The problem is most of them are not built to take the severe beating the saltwater fish dish out.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
What others have mentioned is good info. I have tried LOTS of freshwater baits in the salt and most work. The problem is most of them are not built to take the severe beating the saltwater fish dish out.
I've had success with cranks and softbaits, was primarily looking to see if theres been success with the larger 8"+ swimbaits designed for LMB. My orders on the way in March due to backorder... If I get a big YT to bite trolling or casting I definitley wouldn't care if the bait got mauled! I'll have to try my luck out in LJ this season.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote