Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Mother ship trips, San Martin Island

Imagine yourself and three friends on your kayaks fishing San Martin Island in Baja. It’s 5am and you are heading out to the island, it can happen. Mini Mother ship trips. You and your yak and buddies delivered to the island. You made bait on the way out, it’s time to fish! It is June and the halibut are hungry. It’s August and the WSB are around. Maybe you just want to fish the lings. Perhaps you and your friends want to target the tuna or YT in the area. Tubers, boarders, these trips might be great for you too!

The concept is to deliver 4 anglers with their kayaks to San Martin Island. Let you fish the day and come back that evening. To start delivery boats will be a panga.
One method of yak delivery will be by racks mounted to the panga. I am also considering a system to tow the kayaks. If you have ever done a river float trip you might be able to picture what I have in mind. A cataraft with a rack for 4 kayaks. This would leave more room in the panga and make it easier to make bait on the way out.

You would drive into San Quintin, swing in to Don Eddie’s, right next to the Old Mill. You get a welcome beer. You stay that night, you get dinner. Next day you fish San Martin. Breakfast is served before you leave, you get a box lunch for your day of fishing. Dinner is served after your day on the water. The next morning after breakfast you head home. It would cost each person in your group of 4 only $160 apiece. Included would be everything except your drinks, fish cleaning and tips.

To stay an extra day, room and food would be $45 a day per person. The panga would be $320 a day split by your group.

This is still in the planning stages. There is a lot of work to be able to make this happen. I am not and will not be involved with this financially. I am helping to get this going so that OUR community can have access to a world class fishery to fish from their kayaks.

If the cataraft towing sled system works out I will DONATE it to Don Eddie’s.

PLEASE help, I NEED to get your input and suggestion NOW, pro and con, this is for all of us! This is just the start of what WE as a community can do. Thank you all for our wonderful community!

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
solyluna

Kelly can probably take 4 rigs to the island
I think to make sense if yyou camp one night on the island and fish the next day so you get 2 days of fishing out of you're $160
If you just go fishing with Garcia pangas
It will be about 100 to 120 including the tip and fish cleaning
Per angler (4 guys )
If you want a really clean room and bed try
Jardins
Just my 2 cents
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Raskal311

Camping the night is a great idea.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Solyluna, and Rascal311, thanks for the suggestions, overnight is in the planning stages.

Anyone else out there with suggestions or ideas ? ? ? ?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Solyluna, and Rascal311, thanks for the suggestions, overnight is in the planning stages.

Anyone else out there with suggestions or ideas ? ? ? ?
Not sure what the situation is at San Martin but I know on the cortez side there is requirement for some sort of permit to set foot on some of the islands. Those islands are mostly uninhabited so that may make a difference. It may be something you want to confirm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Permit is needed, and is available in Ensanada for about $4.00.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Zed
BANNED

If you camp on the beach N of the point, you can paddle to Martin.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

I definitely like the idea of towing the kayaks in on top of something...too many things can go wrong towing kayaks behind the boat...the cataraft sounds good but...you have to buy it. How about just towing a panga behind another panga that's loaded with our gear...? Im sure we can stack a few kayaks on an empty panga, at least you wont have to buy anything.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Well said Ful-rac! However about ten years ago I had a hot air welder and welded up some hulls for some river rafts, the hulls are just sitting there. I know I have at least one frame, maybe two. So.......darn you could even take the PA's!!!! If our community wants it to happen, we can do it. Give me your suggestions.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Imagine yourself and three friends on your kayaks fishing San Martin Island in Baja. It’s 5am and you are heading out to the island, it can happen. Mini Mother ship trips. You and your yak and buddies delivered to the island. You made bait on the way out, it’s time to fish! It is June and the halibut are hungry. It’s August and the WSB are around. Maybe you just want to fish the lings. Perhaps you and your friends want to target the tuna or YT in the area. Tubers, boarders, these trips might be great for you too!

The concept is to deliver 4 anglers with their kayaks to San Martin Island. Let you fish the day and come back that evening. To start delivery boats will be a panga.
One method of yak delivery will be by racks mounted to the panga. I am also considering a system to tow the kayaks. If you have ever done a river float trip you might be able to picture what I have in mind. A cataraft with a rack for 4 kayaks. This would leave more room in the panga and make it easier to make bait on the way out.

You would drive into San Quintin, swing in to Don Eddie’s, right next to the Old Mill. You get a welcome beer. You stay that night, you get dinner. Next day you fish San Martin. Breakfast is served before you leave, you get a box lunch for your day of fishing. Dinner is served after your day on the water. The next morning after breakfast you head home. It would cost each person in your group of 4 only $160 apiece. Included would be everything except your drinks, fish cleaning and tips.

To stay an extra day, room and food would be $45 a day per person. The panga would be $320 a day split by your group.

This is still in the planning stages. There is a lot of work to be able to make this happen. I am not and will not be involved with this financially. I am helping to get this going so that OUR community can have access to a world class fishery to fish from their kayaks.

If the cataraft towing sled system works out I will DONATE it to Don Eddie’s.

PLEASE help, I NEED to get your input and suggestion NOW, pro and con, this is for all of us! This is just the start of what WE as a community can do. Thank you all for our wonderful community!

Makobob
So from what you just illustrated you stay for 2 nights and get breakfast and dinner and a panga for 160?

So if we added another day it would bring it to 3 days and nights for 285 to include two breakfasts, two dinners and 2 panga trips?

Seems like a good deal if that is correct.

I would be interested in the white sea bass trip.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Jeff, your numbers are RIGHT. It would be a good trip. However people can add non mothership days for less than $45.00 a day and fish the bay or beaches.....There are a lot of posibilities. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Deamon

Kayaks at San Martin? Drive all the way down to San Quintin to catch White Sea Bass? Ummm...okay. I might need 4 game clips. I'm tentatively in on both trips. Keep my name way up high on the list Bob. Thanks for doing this. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
rhyak

Id be in for sure cant beat that price...

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Ful-rac, Deamon, Buddha, and Rhyak welcome aboard! These trips will allow some of us another chance at a PB.

Also, eventually we should be able to target, Yt, Tuna, WSB, Halibut, Lings, Reds, an Dorado in season from our yaks! The mother ships make all the difference i the world to be able to reach these fish. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
jruiz
Large Member

If we can work one out in conjunction with the June SQ trip I'm down.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
That is why I am spending the whole of June there! Bring 3 or 4 friends and it is a done deal. 28 day halibut tournament and mother ship trips to San Martin. You need to tell ME the dates! Tight lines..........

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
That is why I set this in motion. There will be mothership trips to San Martin this June, just bring 2-3-4 friends. Thanks for your interest. YOU need to tell me the dates you will be down.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
solyluna

Most of the cbass fishing @San Quentin is south to the point
And pretty close to the beach.
Halibut at the bay
San Martin yellow lings reds calico
If you lucky black c bass
Also June is kinda windy
I know Kelly camp with his family at San Martin I'll ask him what he think
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solyluna View Post
Most of the cbass fishing @San Quentin is south to the point
And pretty close to the beach.
Halibut at the bay
San Martin yellow lings reds calico
If you lucky black c bass
Also June is kinda windy
I know Kelly camp with his family at San Martin I'll ask him what he think
I'm thinking soly's breakdown is good to go. I saw the monster WSB guys posted last year and that's what I'm talking about. Some might want to go to the island which sounds like a blast but I'd love spend my time wrassling mambo ghosts...

soly, feel free to pm some lat/lons and techniques my new friend.

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
makobob
Baitless on Baja

BUMP

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN