Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

chicken carcass as lobster bait?

I'm trying to weigh other bait options if the ocean doesn't start providing macs and dines. I called 99 ranch market and they had 3 Salmon heads for me. It doesn't sound like they are going to have a steady supply though. Are any old meats good bait? If so ill look for deals on meats that are ready to turn at the l8cal markets

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
CheapPelican

I've never used that method, but the idea is to give the bugs something to eat once they are in the net and keep them there. You still need to get a scent trail in the water. A can of seafood flavor catfood, with holes punched in it, is suposed work.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

When ever I have used chicken meat or chicken carcasses as bait, I almost always end up with some crabs more than I do bugs.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
easyday

Duck is a really oily meat ive used that before and it works well. Im working on my little mix of ingredients right now. We figured it out at the end of the season last year and we got lots of shorts with our new concoction. Hoping it works out, if not back to macks.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

What I was thinking is if I have to I will buy frozen macks and mix it in amongst other meat to maximize the amount of bait I have

Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
danjor

Or just buy enough "bait" fresh salmon heads and bellies from a fish processor to fill a 120qt cooler for $60 than realize really how much bait that is, separate the bellies to eat and freeze it all, buy a bigger freezer to keep it in, offer free bait to everyone you plan to go lobstering with, turns out to be amazing bait, now its a year later bait still looks good to go and do it again.... Oh wait only I would do that, haha Now just got to get some days off work and find some people to go fishing with.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Or just buy enough "bait" fresh salmon heads and bellies from a fish processor to fill a 120qt cooler for $60 than realize really how much bait that is, separate the bellies to eat and freeze it all, buy a bigger freezer to keep it in, offer free bait to everyone you plan to go lobstering with, turns out to be amazing bait, now its a year later bait still looks good to go and do it again.... Oh wait only I would do that, haha Now just got to get some days off work and find some people to go fishing with.
Shit maybe I should just buy some lobster. .....nah

Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Dannowar

My cousin caught an 11 pounder on...get this...chicken cordon bleu
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Deamon

I use wire cages but cut a few rows off the top to shrink it down a bit. I jam in as much bait as possible so the roaches can chew on some of it and have a reason to hang around. If the seals are around I'll also zip tie in a couple of DrakePucks () in case the cages get smashed up.

Not having to buy bait is key for me going OFTEN. One hobie bait tank plugged with macks gives me enough bait for seven trips. I go to LJ and can usually bang that out in a couple of hours.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
T-Rex

You can usually get salmon heads etc at the other Asian Markets. The H Marts in Garden Grove & Irvine usually have salmon heads & other inexpensive trimmings available. Marukai, Mitsuwa, Arirang and Zion Market are other good alternatives.