Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
dbrogdon5

HELP

So I installed a 500gph tsunami pump for my livewell and i am using a 6v battery but for some reason the water is not being pulled up in to the live well. do i need to set up some sort of priming system? is the 6V not enough power? please help
dbrogdon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The pump needs to be submerged (at least up to the impellor inside), or you'll need to prime it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
dbrogdon5

well thats a bummer. I have the straight inlet tsunami and i was told to run it through the scupper behind my back hatch on my x factor. any suggestions on how to create a primer and leave the pump running through the scupper? thank you for your help
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Baja_Traveler

Just put a primer bulb between the pump and the tank. I had that setup on my last kayak and it worked perfect - turn the pump on and squeeze the bulb a couple of times and you are off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
GregAndrew

I use a priming bulb with a short piece of hose that I slip over the tank inlet. Give it a couple squeezes and pull it off. That way it does not restrict the flow after you get it primed like in-line will.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
dbrogdon5

great guys! thank you for all of your help. i goess its off to bass pro i go!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrogdon5 View Post
great guys! thank you for all of your help. i goess its off to bass pro i go!
take a small bucket and start bailing water into the bait tank and then turn the pump on. This might work and would be simpler than adding a priming pump.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
TJones

short piece of hose

slip on outlet . and give it a suck . .pull off hose . i bought a piece of clear hose from home depot . not cheap . 5 - 10 $ 4 a couple feet . hobie tank comes with a black nipple connector that scoops up the water to prime the tank . this nipple attaches to the inlet hose which runs through scupper . a few strokes with paddle or peddles forces water up into the inlet tube via scupper hole and you are in business . having tank primed or filled doesn't hurt either . all these parts can be purchased separately . but take a look at hobie catalog and you can see all the hobie tank parts and get an idea .

Last edited by TJones; 07-20-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: second thought
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
easyday

I have a pump just like it but it sits below the water line inside of my kayak for the tank on the x factor the only problem I have is if I hit big wave or wake and ny front end come out of the water then I have to turn it off let the water leave the pipe then turn it back on
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrogdon5 View Post
well thats a bummer. I have the straight inlet tsunami and i was told to run it through the scupper behind my back hatch on my x factor. any suggestions on how to create a primer and leave the pump running through the scupper? thank you for your help
this is the system I made.. works great, but you need two things..

(1) primer bulb
(2) check valve

I lucked out.. I had an old aquarium, that had some tubing to help clean the water and gravel. The bulb had a built-in check valve, and it all just fit perfect. You can get the primer bulb and check valve at any West Marine, but they are pricey.. maybe $20 a piece!

Here's a pic of my system,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigfish.jpg (53.5 KB, 79 views)
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
h-james

I also ran the intake tube thru a scupper hole, but I placed the tsunami pump as close to the scupper hole as it would go and only used enough tubing to extend past the bottom of the kayak and reach the water. At this end of the tubing I put a 90* elbow inside the tubing, facing forward. The forward movement of the kayak forces the water high enough in the tubing to reach the pump to start moving the water.
I used a piece of 90* black pvc elbow I found at Home depot that fit snugly inside the tubing. And I cut the Cut the elbow off, after it makes the bend. Cost about a dollar. As somebody said, Hobie makes an inlet specifically for that, but I'm cheap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbow final1.jpg (11.5 KB, 59 views)
h-james is offline   Reply With Quote