Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Steve W.
Retired Navy Chief

Live Well Question

Hello everyone,

I'm puttin together the live well seen on many sites using the pet food container. Do I really need the bilge pump version or has anyone had good results with just using a bubble box or aerator pump and stone? The price and battery seems like a cheaper route. Any thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.6 KB, 136 views)
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Well with the aerator you still need to change the water from time to time.
Especially when it comes to sardines. They need fresh water constantly, and still will die in a tank.

I saw a design on this board that used hand pump which eliminated battery, but you need a space to install it close to you and remember to pump every few minutes.

I am going to experiment with a floating bait bag, But I was told while paddling, the bait is going to be injured. Will see.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Dannowar

I used to paddle a 9 foot cobra kayak with a 5 gallon bucket and a bubble box. Will it work? Yes. But you might as well do it right the first time. It's pretty easy to get tippy when filling up 40 pounds of water from the side of your kayak.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

I made a livewell with the pet food box, worked great until my battery died. Those anchovies all died pretty quick. When you have a bunch of fish in there, swimming around, getting bumped into walls and each other, I think they consume oxygen pretty quickly out of the water. At least that's my theory.. I use the Johnson 500gph pump with a 12V battery, and timer.. and it works great.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm puttin together the live well seen on many sites using the pet food container. Do I really need the bilge pump version or has anyone had good results with just using a bubble box or aerator pump and stone? The price and battery seems like a cheaper route. Any thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Do you really need the bilge pump version...YES!

If you are serious about fishing off your kayak and keeping bait alive you need to do it the right way. Yes it's more expenisve and more complicated, but...if you don't have the money right now...save it. Gotta remember that your not keeping goldfish alive in a bucket...sardines/anchovies require lots of fresh seawater to stay alive, and even then your going to see some loss.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Steve W.
Retired Navy Chief

Thanks for the info guys...I'll get over to West Marine and pickup a rule pump. Thanks again.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
Thanks for the info guys...I'll get over to West Marine and pickup a rule pump. Thanks again.
The Rule pump is a good option, cuz it just hangs down in the water. no need for a priming bulb and check valve. Also, the pump is not that expensive.. I think maybe $25-30?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
roadx

and get your batteries here. 12v 7a for two $12.95
i prefer 6v and they also carry those as well

http://www.surplusdepot.org/wesell/batteries.html
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
momo fish

thanks!!. Love the things I learn on this forum.. Anyone else can share more tips this topic it would help a lot of newbies.. I overuse the search function already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
and get your batteries here. 12v 7a for two $12.95
i prefer 6v and they also carry those as well

http://www.surplusdepot.org/wesell/batteries.html
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote