Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Sdspeed

New line on a Penn 500?

Can anyone give me an idea of how much braid or line combo I can put on this reel.Since they've been around for so long all I can find is 275 yds. of 30 lb mono mentioned on the Penn website. New to this so some help would be great. thanks.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
fishingfiend

Accurate has a cool tool on their site. Enjoy...

http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php

btw, what do you plan on using that reel for? The spectra you put on maybe worth more than the reel.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
Accurate has a cool tool on their site. Enjoy...

http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php

btw, what do you plan on using that reel for? The spectra you put on maybe worth more than the reel.
Thanks for the website, very useful.
I was given several Penn Conventional reels and some Diawa spinning reels from a retired angler. I'm on a starter's budget and wanted to get a couple setups for the kelp beds and san diego bay until I have some idea what I need to purchase. I know, subjective and tough request.

Maybe stay wit mono for now?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

They may not be "worth" a fortune but they catch fish as well as the 300 dollar reel. They are proven workhorses that have earned their place.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
They may not be "worth" a fortune but they catch fish as well as the 300 dollar reel. They are proven workhorses that have earned their place.
That's kinda the way I was looking at them, plus the previous owner took excellent care of all the stuff he gave me.

Need to figure out if a 10" Garmin GPS/Chartplotter/FF is over kill for a kayak lol
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
RGB

I just picked one up too. I was told to avoid the thinner braided line because it can get wrapped around the spool. Check http://www.alantani.com. Lots of good info there.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
I just picked one up too. I was told to avoid the thinner braided line because it can get wrapped around the spool. Check http://www.alantani.com. Lots of good info there.
I've got Alan's site saved , just had a brain freeze and didn't even check it for line concerns. RGB what line and how much line you gonna use?
I was think'in 300 yds of #30 mono.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
RGB

Yeah that's where i was gonna start. Waiting to upgrade the brass sleeve to Alan's stainless version and upgrade to the HT-100 drags before i replace the line it came with. Looking for an inexpensive rod to pair it with now, thinking of an Ugly Stik Tiger or Big 5 Sabre.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
madncrzydm

If you use braid make sure it has an aluminum spool not the plastic one the plastic one can just crush under the pressure of braid.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
Yeah that's where i was gonna start. Waiting to upgrade the brass sleeve to Alan's stainless version and upgrade to the HT-100 drags before i replace the line it came with. Looking for an inexpensive rod to pair it with now, thinking of an Ugly Stik Tiger or Big 5 Sabre.
I have 2 big 5 sabres and I love them haven't let me down yet and if anything does go wrong with it big 5 has an awesome return policy its pretty much no questions asked.