Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
fearlessfiasco

La Jolla 1/17/2013

Went out La Jolla for the first time today. Figured it was time since the surf report was nil and the weather was AMAZING! Did my first beach launch off of Seanair without difficulty. It was so calm I felt like ai was cheating.
Paddled NNW to the end of the kelp just enjoying the weather and looking around. Not much bird activity was seen but I did see lots of bait. The problem was I couldn't catch any of it to save my life. I think the sabiki I had was to big. It seemed that they were hitting it left and right but not getting hooked.
After giving up on making making bait I tried every type of plastic I had with no success, bummer. Couldnt get love on the gulp and no love on frozen squid either. I was starting to get down on myself and then I tried the scrambled egg iron. The skunk was off with a keeper calico! Unfortunately I lost the scrambled egg soon afterward when it got snagged on some unseen kelp and the line broke trying to free it.
After that I figured it was time to go and see what a beach landing would be like. After locating my land marks I just went on blind faith that it wouldn't be that bad. There were some surfers in the area but they weren't doing any surfing so I kinda figured it wasn' too rough. Went straight in and thought it was going pretty smooth. Then the last 30' came up and the next thing I know the back is raising up and I'm rather noticably gaining speed. Luckily it was maybe a knee high wave and the Stealth 14 rode it like a champ. Landing with out difficulty no yard sale, no dunking, no problems!

All in all it might of only been a one fish day but it was still an awesome day. Saw seals, birds, dolphins, and whales in the distance. The sun was up and not a cloud was in the sky. For my first time out on the open ocean it was a great experience.
fearlessfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
JeffB

Today was defiantly perfect weather and surf for attempting your first beach launch. I envy you for being on the water. I have been working on a house on top of Mt Soldad and was drooling all day long at the calm seas and little breeze.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
silentsmell

Nice report. It definitely was beautiful out there today. Congrats on your first outing in La Jolla, hope there will be many more.
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
taggermike

Sounds like a fun first trip. Sometimes the baits are smelt or smaller sardines that can have trouble eating a sibiki. Its just tap tap tap but no hook ups. Try smaller sibikis or find some macs that want to bite. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote