Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

Dropper Loop questions

Hi guys,
I have a few dropper loop questions for you.
I've used dropper loop set ups for surf, bass, perch, and typical smaller fish. I've always just used a leader on the hook and tied it to the loop which worked well for the smaller fish but I've lately been fishing for YT and WSB.
I've read everything I could find on BWE and the net and am still alittle confused so here's my questions...

How large of a loop do you normally use?
Do you loop or tie the hook directly to the loop?
Do you cut the loop to make a single leader for the hook?

I'm planning on using the rig with squid and macs as bait.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Hi guys,
I have a few dropper loop questions for you.
I've used dropper loop set ups for surf, bass, perch, and typical smaller fish. I've always just used a leader on the hook and tied it to the loop which worked well for the smaller fish but I've lately been fishing for YT and WSB.
I've read everything I could find on BWE and the net and am still alittle confused so here's my questions...

How large of a loop do you normally use?
Do you loop or tie the hook directly to the loop?
Do you cut the loop to make a single leader for the hook?

I'm planning on using the rig with squid and macs as bait.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

when I do it, I tie two loops on the mainline, each about 5 inches long, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and then send the hook through the middle of the loop, pull, tighten. This, IMO, is the best presentation.

heres a visual:

http://surf-fishanybeach.com/wp-cont...perLoopRig.jpg

I dont even usually use a snap swivel at the top, I just tie directly to my mainline or top shot (whichever rod im on)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I was going to tell you but your avatar flipped me the bird.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
when I do it, I tie two loops on the mainline, each about 5 inches long, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and then send the hook through the middle of the loop, pull, tighten. This, IMO, is the best presentation.
that is what i use as well. the less knots and line connections you have, the better. no snap swivels, or cutting line, and the hooks arent tied on there (they are just looped through). i mainly use dropper loops for sculpin and rockfish though. never tried on bigger fish. to send a mac down.. i try to flyline and make the mac swim down.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Dave k

I use a spider hitch knot instead of the actual dropper loop. Same concept, stronger knot. I run a pretty big loop, maybe 6' of line so it's about 3' when doubled. I feel that this gives the bait more freedom and a more natural presentation. I run a palomar to the hook as well, this way if one side of the loop wears through (wsb have teeth) it will still hold. Length from loop to sinker depends on conditions, bait and target species.

This is for wsb and yellows. Smaller loops and different knots are fine for rockfish, etc.

I realize many use a different setup than me, but I've caught enough nice fish on it to be sold.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate you guys answering my questions. I'm gonna try to get out tomorrow and put all of the info to use.

Once again... Thanks.
Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Drake told me the spider hitch version, and it tests wayyyyy better than the standard dropper loop, and it is i.m.o. a better setup for these big yellowtail and wsb.

Form a loop that's roughly 5-6 feet long (10-12' of line). Tie the spider hitch. Trim off the tag end.

Cut the loop at the end so as to have 5-6' on both newly formed single lines.

Tie another loop in the one that will be attached to the sinker. Put loop through the torpedo sinker and around it (now you can change up sinkers without having to cut and re-tie).

Tie your hook to the other tag end that was formed. Pin on a squid, or a fin bait.

Put clicker on and fish in free spool.

Crack open a beer (or five).
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
Drake told me the spider hitch version, and it tests wayyyyy better than the standard dropper loop, and it is i.m.o. a better setup for these big yellowtail and wsb.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

That's funny as hell. But seriously I bench tested both of them and the standard dropper loop sucks compared to the spider hitch version.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Deamon

GregAndrew's latest butt video showing his squid darting around right before it gets chomped confirmed it for me. I think the extra length of leader allows a bit more natural movement...using live bait, I'm a 3 way swivel kinda guy.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
PE.rider

In my experience, it depends on what you are going after. I tie my dropper loops like the ones described above, but I may decide to use only one, or perhaps as many as five depending on what I am targeting.

For schooling baitfish like macks, you are essentially tying a sabiki line with easily removable hooks. For larger fish in a situation with stronger currents, I may just tie one dropper loop and then have a longer leader below for a torpedo sinker to drift with a greenback or sardine for something bigger.

Finally, if you tie a dropper loop with longer tags, you can cut one end of the loop close the the main line and then use the other end for a snelled hook. I have a drift rig that I tie like this with fluorocarbon when Halibut are wary. You can then attach a stinger treble hook to ensure that short bites get the job done.

Good luck!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
how to a dropper with 2 middle fingers

Wrap the line loosely around your right middle finger 4 times slip off. Take a loop of line and push it through the 4 circles using your left middle finger. Put the new loop around your 2 front teeth and pull loops tight using your right middle finger and left middle finger at the same time. Forget about the 3 way swivel on a dropper loop as it is too hard to try with 2 middle fingers....
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
bigbarrels

does anybody use the surgeon end loop?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
does anybody use the surgeon end loop?
It's never failed me. Palomar to the hook on the loop.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
GregAndrew's latest butt video showing his squid darting around right before it gets chomped confirmed it for me. I think the extra length of leader allows a bit more natural movement...using live bait, I'm a 3 way swivel kinda guy.
when was the last time you seen squid darting side to side? they're more of a forward and reverse machine.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
FreezeYak
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate you guys answering my questions. I'm gonna try to get out tomorrow and put all of the info to use.

Once again... Thanks.
Mike
Mike, please give a recap on your day out. We'll all be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks
FreezeYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

why doesn't anyone use a carolina rig? or a 3 way with a snap on one for the weight, so its like a fixed c-rig?

i've always done well with the C-rig while using live bait.

is it just one of those "this guy caught his fish on a dropper so that must be the ticket" kinda thing?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
why doesn't anyone use a carolina rig? or a 3 way with a snap on one for the weight, so its like a fixed c-rig?

i've always done well with the C-rig while using live bait.

is it just one of those "this guy caught his fish on a dropper so that must be the ticket" kinda thing?

People do use carolina rigs, like when deep slow-trolling for Threshers. The reason people don't use 3-way swivels is because conventional wisdom would be that instead of only one weak point (knot), now you have three possible weak points.

Hey, maybe someone can invent the knotless 3-way swivel?

I have zero problem with extra knots, because mine flat out don't fail. It's just way more convenient for me to tie the cedros dropper loop vs. having to tie on a 3-way.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

why not just use the Knotless hooks?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Deamon

Ha, yeah you're right. I watch Discovery channel too. But on my short leader attached to a 5oz weight, there's probably not much forward and reverse going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
when was the last time you seen squid darting side to side? they're more of a forward and reverse machine.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote