Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Bait reel rec?

Looking to spend under $200 for a YT/thresher/wsb setup for bait/jig toThinking of getting a saltist older model- heard lots of good things about their build quality and internal parts. Guy at turners was saying they were built as well as shimanos higher end model... Any others I should consider in that price point?

Thanks
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
YakMedic

My opinion is you can't find a more kayak friendly reel than a daiwa sealine. The 40 size has awesome height to width spool size for amazing casting. Plus they have enough power to tug in a tanker. Plus they price in under your range so you can afford spooling it with spectra.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

+1 on the Saltist. I like the 40!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
HatterasCast

This would be a great reel for what you want to do: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...679#post124679
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
My opinion is you can't find a more kayak friendly reel than a daiwa sealine. The 40 size has awesome height to width spool size for amazing casting. Plus they have enough power to tug in a tanker. Plus they price in under your range so you can afford spooling it with spectra.
I've got a Sealine 20 I've had for years, good lil reel. Just want somethin a lil better. What's the consensus on the newer Daiwa lever drag 2spds? Would be nice to have that low gear ratio for irons.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
YakMedic

2 speeds are overkill on a kayak, but its your call. You really can't go wrong with a saltist 35 or 40 size.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Billy V

The Old Silver Saltist 40 (Star Drag) in 4.9:1 gear ratio is the one you want.
If you install a set of $15 carbotex drag washers, its as good as it gets.

They are strong, and easy to service. The bearings can be changed out without having to use any tools (unlike the new ones).

-They are made better than the new black ones in my opinion. The spool axle is thicker than the new black models, and its not crossed drilled creating a potential weak spot. Plus you can get the low gear ratio on the Old Silver Model (the new black ones are all 6.4:1)

The cross drilled axle pin that retains the spool bearing can develop some corrosion. Then you must use a press pin tool to remove the retaining pin - because if you pound it out with the wrong tool you can bend the spool axle.
-Then you will develop a wobble in the spool.

If you find a used Silver Model buy it. The silver paint does tend to scratch, but who cares they are battle scars.

I own 13 of them.
----------------------------------------------------
The Sealine 40 HA in 4.9:1 is another good choice for live bait. They are damn tough reels, and will survive the kayak environment better than most any reel.
-If you pack/and surround the outside handle bearing with grease its bulletproof.

On Sale Cheap @ Charkbait San Diego right now. Its an unadvertised IN Store Special, call Mike and tell him your from BWE.

Last edited by Billy V; 07-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
Looking to spend under $200 for a YT/thresher/wsb setup for bait/jig toThinking of getting a saltist older model- heard lots of good things about their build quality and internal parts. Guy at turners was saying they were built as well as shimanos higher end model... Any others I should consider in that price point?

Thanks
www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10704
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Dave k

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
I've got a Sealine 20 I've had for years, good lil reel. Just want somethin a lil better. What's the consensus on the newer Daiwa lever drag 2spds? Would be nice to have that low gear ratio for irons.
The 2 speed is a little overkill for the yak, but with that said, I have the 35 2 Speed and love it. I have also dropped down to low gear also a couple times trying to pull a fish out of the kelp... and it has helped. I also have the 30 single speed. Both bad ass reels and I love them. I also like the lever drag vs star drag for fishing bait. If I were adding to my arsenal, I wouldn't hesitate to get another saltist.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
FARRIER

I love my saltist! But I also love my sealine which i took tuna fishing and after the carbontex drag upgrade it had buttery smooth drag! i reeled up some footballs no problem. Just because the sealine is cheap; does not mean it isn't a great reel. But I lean towards the saltist.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
I love my saltist! But I also love my sealine which i took tuna fishing and after the carbontex drag upgrade it had buttery smooth drag! i reeled up some footballs no problem. Just because the sealine is cheap; does not mean it isn't a great reel. But I lean towards the saltist.
I think most of us started with the Sealine 40 because of the affordability, then we quickly found out how good of a reel it was ! I always have one with me on the boat or kayak.
--------------------------------
- andrewtp -
I spoke with Mike this morning about the special sale price on the Sealine. He said, although the sale ended on Sunday he would honor the price if you were interested.

No pressure if you aren't interested - but I will PM you the price.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
LexLutheran
Lurker

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Aver MXC or MXJ. At the price point I don't think there is a better reel. Level drag, with a bait runner setting, clicker, Strong drag that doesnt need upgrading out of the box, and an incredible free spool. I have one on my Seeker 270-8H, and I could not imagine a better bait set up. 50lb braid with a 20lb flouro top shot and you are ready for anything in so-cal coastal waters and most others beyond. I have had a couple of the older deadlines and they are fantastic reels, but I am very impressed with Avet.
LexLutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Billy V

They are great reels, but don't fair well in the kayak environment where a reel is subjected to saltwater baths.

The spool bearings are open and saltwater will enter too easily. Also, the drag washer will collect salt crystals and swell - causing your drag setting to vary. The anti reverse dog sometimes gets caked up with salt crystals causing it to stop working (until you clean it out)

These only happen when its exposed to surf launches and landing - and salt water baths, as in general kayak use.

They work good on boats though.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
taggermike

The Saltist would be a great reel for local bait fishing. Like Billy mentioned the lower gear ratio are the ones you want I don't really follow the "high speed" reel trend that has been and continues to dominate reel design. Maybe speed helps in yo-yo fishing, but how fast do you need to wind a bait in. I'd rather just turn the handel a bit faster. The lower gears give you more cranking power. I wish there was a 4:1 or even a 3.5:1 in a sealine or saltist. Also I have found the Daiwa reels have a rather stiff clicker. I like this to hold larger macks so you don't have to listen to your clicker buzzing and chirping the whole time you're trolling. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Great info here