Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
berkeley.william
THRESHER

i need someone to teach me the way of the ocean!

I am new to fishing the ocean. i have been fishing the lakes all my life. i am from South Dakota and i am in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendleton. i have been out in front of oceanside and carlsbad the past week a couple of times and caught nothing except small barracuda and rays. if someone does not mind showing me the ropes off the coast it would be appreciated. i am going down to La Jolla Tuesday morning and Thursday.
berkeley.william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

It all starts with a pm to the "Darkhorse"
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
dc1983

Just stick with it. It took me almost a year to even start catching any fish. So your doing better than me. I try and go out of Dana Point at least once a weekend if you want to come up this way.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
berkeley.william
THRESHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
Just stick with it. It took me almost a year to even start catching any fish. So your doing better than me. I try and go out of Dana Point at least once a weekend if you want to come up this way.
are you going this coming weekend?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
It all starts with a pm to the "Darkhorse"
Not always that easy, I PMed him and was pretty much told he couldn't help me. Not sure if that was he didn't want to help me or what ever that meant but I took it as he didn't want to help. Time on the water, learning the fish, and knowing how to read your meter marks will help you out a lot.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

it goes like "Whao.." and you go "whaaoo" and we're like "whao dude!"
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Not always that easy, I PMed him and was pretty much told he couldn't help me. Not sure if that was he didn't want to help me or what ever that meant but I took it as he didn't want to help. Time on the water, learning the fish, and knowing how to read your meter marks will help you out a lot.
Thats weird. Ive chatted with Josh on numerous occasions and always found him to be open and overly helpful, despite never having gone out with him and/ or paying him for his services. Maybe you are reading something into it. Just a thought.

Josh is definitely a guy who will help you. Maybe he is just booked up right now. Afterall, his business relies on helping people.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
Thats weird. Ive chatted with Josh on numerous occasions and always found him to be open and overly helpful, despite never having gone out with him and/ or paying him for his services. Maybe you are reading something into it. Just a thought.

Josh is definitely a guy who will help you. Maybe he is just booked up right now. Afterall, his business relies on helping people.

Jerry hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

For the record: I was contacted by Jimmy last Spring; more than a year ago. I told him exactly what I would have told anyone else. I was booked up at the time; not to mention being backed up due to conditions. Which is easy to do when your business revolves 100% around conditions, mind you.

I also had a skateboarding accident that put me out of commission for a month (during peak season). I had ripped my sternum and had swelling in my stomach. I lost 40 pounds from the accident 'ta boot!

I remember telling him that I prefer my clients to have already gone out there and pounded out a couple seasons first. It's those clients, who've already spent a significant amount of time trying to figure it out themselves, who truly appreciate the service I provide. I suppose that could be misconstrued...

Which is what I still tell prospect clients to this day. If they appreciate that notion, while continuing to insist we proceed regardless, again, Jerry spelled it out quite well. My business revolves around helping people. The clients who really want to catch fish will always find a way. I can assure you of that.

A couple hundred guys seemed to have made it past that first e-mail---and have the screen-savers to prove it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
......not to mention being backed up due to conditions...
That sounds ugly.... Try fiber!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I PMed him and was pretty much told he couldn't help me.
I'm not one to follow people around, fish in crowds, hire guides, or even ask for advice, since for me half the fun for me is figuring out things for myself.

That said I've probably learned more about fishing La Jolla from Josh then anyone I know. It's not like we have had a lot of conversations, but the ones we have had were filled with information and insight. I've fished with a lot of people for a lot of years but just a few conversations with Josh completely changed the way I think about Seabass especially when it comes to their early season behavior, and opened my mind up to new ideas, that I had not considered, that I've since used all up and down the coast. I can't think of a better source for information, or someone who is more forthcoming, or giving on the water.

I imagine there are times when he's too booked up to deal with new clients, or too busy trying to land his clients fish when on the water to be helpful, but I got to say Jimmy, if you think he's not willing to help people, or exchange ideas or information, I think your probably operating under some basic misconceptions.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley.william View Post
are you going this coming weekend?
Im going back to Missouri for the 4th. And won't be back till the 8th ill be out rhe next weekend I'll send you a pm when I get back
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
berkeley.william
THRESHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
Im going back to Missouri for the 4th. And won't be back till the 8th ill be out rhe next weekend I'll send you a pm when I get back
cool thanks