Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
carbonbass

Launching the flats? (cuda)

Is this a good idea? Even small waves at HB seem to be oh so strong. How long would it take to launch the beach and paddle to the flats from hb?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Caffeind

"The Flats" is a big area man, and more of a general term...maybe you mean the HB Reefs out there? Those are only about 1.5-2 miles out from the stretch between Newland and Magnolia, so not bad at all. As for the launch/landing, that's always gonna be a personal comfort level thing...and of course timing is everything. I'd say focus more on the overall conditions out there in regards to wind/swell/current, strap your shit down and go from there. GL
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Huntington flats it's fairly close the only problem is the launch.you would have to go minimal and tie everything down,but before this try doing a dry launch in and out.i try it a few times and I loved the adrenaline rush.Good luck out there
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

dont waste your time there are no fish at the flats as of last sat. (6-2-12)
they are up off pedro / lbc. get on the Socal out of pierpoint landing.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
sammysamsam

did you go out there buskid? I went out of pier point on saturday on the half day boat. we killed it on the cuda.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post
did you go out there buskid? I went out of pier point on saturday on the half day boat. we killed it on the cuda.

LB marina, 1/2 day city of LB. jack wipe capt decided to go to the flats after we got bait, somebody on that boat must have pissed off the guys at the bait barge because I have never been on a cattle boat and seen such crappy bait, 2 inches long max and all bloody nose and thin as hell pinners. we zig zagged from 830 am to 10 am off of HB before he went north to the parking lot where all the other cattle boats were. I didnt get line went until after 11:00 went 3 for 3 on the cuda, put my gear away, ordered a cheese burger went up top and called it a day around noon.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
LB marina, 1/2 day city of LB. jack wipe capt decided to go to the flats after we got bait, somebody on that boat must have pissed off the guys at the bait barge because I have never been on a cattle boat and seen such crappy bait, 2 inches long max and all bloody nose and thin as hell pinners. we zig zagged from 830 am to 10 am off of HB before he went north to the parking lot where all the other cattle boats were. I didnt get line went until after 11:00 went 3 for 3 on the cuda, put my gear away, ordered a cheese burger went up top and called it a day around noon.
Dude, i was on the same boat!!! I was so pissed when i saw the size of those chovies too! Then to go to the flats and not one boat being there. Like he didnt make a call to the other fleet to see where the cuda were?? 2 hrs wasted. I was fishin the rear of the boat with 7 of my buddies.

Still pissed we only got a good 2 hrs of fishin in.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Dude, i was on the same boat!!! I was so pissed when i saw the size of those chovies too! Then to go to the flats and not one boat being there. Like he didnt make a call to the other fleet to see where the cuda were?? 2 hrs wasted. I was fishin the rear of the boat with 7 of my buddies.

Still pissed we only got a good 2 hrs of fishin in.
I was on the port side big ass SKB box, I was about to throw the asian guy in the flip flops who kept yelling "fried line" as he ran around the damn boat all day overboard, if that was you sorry.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I was on the port side big ass SKB box, I was about to throw the asian guy in the flip flops who kept yelling "fried line" as he ran around the damn boat all day overboard, if that was you sorry.
hahahhaha. that dude was couple guys from me. He would not shut up!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
hahahhaha. that dude was couple guys from me. He would not shut up!
I was waiting for the cook to bring out some leg lolls, and slimp to go with his order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Is this a good idea? Even small waves at HB seem to be oh so strong. How long would it take to launch the beach and paddle to the flats from hb?
sorry for the thread jack.
I have had good luck launching launching from the south end of Bolsa chica state beach near the river mouth. check the swell before you go out and on your way in. planning is everything.