Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
hiramehunter

Where are they in Redondo Canyon?

I went twice this weekend and all i could get were sanddabs!
I get it that they are good to eat but I was targeting rockfish and I just can't seem to find them.
My son(10) and I went out Saturday(5/26) morning but paddled back into the marina to escape the big rollers and wind swells after 30 minutes! We both got seasick so we called it a day.
Monday,5/28, I headed out again about 3/4 mile out from the marina and worked a ton of area for 3 hours. I caught a dozen sanddabs but no rockfish!

I'm using fresh squid from the korean market. I'm working on getting my ff installed on my yak but my son's yak has one but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for. So i'm primarily trying different depths.

I've been out every weekend for 5 weeks and I still can't get dialed in.
What am I missing? HELP!!!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Unless you know of a spot or spots, or have gps #s and a gps, fishing blind for rockfish is hard, however if you get a meter you will be looking for a dark jagged
lines on the bottom with rocky structure around in the area kelp will appear
as splotches connected to the floor and extending up, sand bottom will appear
as a somewhat smooth bottom, remember the rockfish want structure TO TAKE YOUR HOOK AND LINE BACK INTO TO HIDE, and then snag you, bigger models will
seem like you hook up, you will feel the shake then bam snag, just hang in there
give them ever so little amount of slack, not enough to allow them to spit the hook, just enough to allow them to move until you feel em again then work them out of the hole, you'll get um....there have been many a time I thought I lost rockfish in the kelp or rocks, and waited them out, hope that helps
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Swell

Hiramehunter...I was catching bait by the small pier when I saw you towing your son back into the harbor on Saturday...those were some tough conditions that morning. Those big swells were cresting at the harbor mouth. It looked like the PV police checked on you to make sure you were OK. They were watching all the boats go out that morning since it was a little challenging.
The area on the north side of the canyon 110' to 250' close to the harbor generally holds a lot of Sand Dabs...great Ling Bait and delicious little buggers, but they're not Vermilions.
Email me...jim@sabaslayer.com and I'll try and help you. You have to understand that 'Rocks don't move' so a good rockfish or lobster/crab spot is a gem to hold on to.
A good color fishfinder and a GPS are very valuable tools when fishing rockfish.
The breadcrumb or tracks feature is really helpful to track the hookups or areas worked.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Hiramehunter...I was catching bait by the small pier when I saw you towing your son back into the harbor on Saturday...those were some tough conditions that morning. Those big swells were cresting at the harbor mouth. It looked like the PV police checked on you to make sure you were OK. They were watching all the boats go out that morning since it was a little challenging.
The area on the north side of the canyon 110' to 250' close to the harbor generally holds a lot of Sand Dabs...great Ling Bait and delicious little buggers, but they're not Vermilions.
Email me...jim@sabaslayer.com and I'll try and help you. You have to understand that 'Rocks don't move' so a good rockfish or lobster/crab spot is a gem to hold on to.
A good color fishfinder and a GPS are very valuable tools when fishing rockfish.
The breadcrumb or tracks feature is really helpful to track the hookups or areas worked.
Jim / Saba Slayer
I saw you(didn't know it was "you" but another kayaker!) that morning! It was pretty rough like you said! My son started getting a headache right away so I knew it was gong to be short! I guess I need to invest in a FF with GPS. What's a good moderately priced FF+GPS? I'll email you as well!

I got a good workout towing my son in! But it's well worth it since he loves going out! Nothing better than going kayak fishing with your son even if the swells are HUGE!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Unless you know of a spot or spots, or have gps #s and a gps, fishing blind for rockfish is hard, however if you get a meter you will be looking for a dark jagged
lines on the bottom with rocky structure around in the area kelp will appear
as splotches connected to the floor and extending up, sand bottom will appear
as a somewhat smooth bottom, remember the rockfish want structure TO TAKE YOUR HOOK AND LINE BACK INTO TO HIDE, and then snag you, bigger models will
seem like you hook up, you will feel the shake then bam snag, just hang in there
give them ever so little amount of slack, not enough to allow them to spit the hook, just enough to allow them to move until you feel em again then work them out of the hole, you'll get um....there have been many a time I thought I lost rockfish in the kelp or rocks, and waited them out, hope that helps
Thanks for the help! It's good to know what they feel like when they take your bait! I definitely know what sanddabs feel like! LOL! If anyone wants to know PM me!