Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

WestMarine Warranty To get or not get?

Would you get the one time replacement warranty on your VHF Radio if it already comes with a 3 year manufacture warranty?

What about your 1 year manufacture gps/fishfinder?

Comments please...
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
JoeBeck

I absolutely get the west marine warranty on all my electronics and I only buy boating electronics from them.

If it brakes, you can take it back no box or receipt needed really no questions asked. They will just replace it. I think it is an extra 20 bucks or something. This has came in handy with my fish finder a couple times. Electronics on kayaks take a lot more abuse than on a boat. They have excellent customer service and top of the line warranty program.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

manufacture warranties suck!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
manufacture warranties suck!
True, don't forget the shipping to get it fixed is close to what WM's warranty costs.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
I absolutely get the west marine warranty on all my electronics and I only buy boating electronics from them.

If it brakes, you can take it back no box or receipt needed really no questions asked. They will just replace it. I think it is an extra 20 bucks or something. This has came in handy with my fish finder a couple times. Electronics on kayaks take a lot more abuse than on a boat. They have excellent customer service and top of the line warranty program.
I second this one. I have known people that have purchased from other places than West Marine and took the item to them for help, and West Marine assisted them as if they purchased the item there. West Marine is the best place to purchase your Marine electronics.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Billy V

Without Question - get the 2 Year Warranty (maximum amount) on your purchases.

Its cheap as hell, and the absolute easiest way of dealing with a broken item.

If it breaks - they hand you a New One right there on the spot. No dealing with a manufactured that will make you jump through hoops of fire to get a repair done/ or maybe de nigh your claim.

Look at it this way:
-The cost of the Westmarine Warranty is approximately what you would have to pay in shipping alone if you had to deal with the manufacturer - and you won't lose 8 weeks waiting for the unit to be returned.

Capice? - thats Italian for - do you understand
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
BT

I ditto everyone!

I got it on my FF cause it was so cheap, and from what everyone told me its no hassle with them at all. Not to many places that will take back electronics as easily as they do.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
GregAndrew

All the above plus, check Google Shopping to find the best price on the internet and print the page so they will price match!!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
All the above plus, check Google Shopping to find the best price on the internet and print the page so they will price match!!!
good idea... but with price matching, remember that the internet website you want them to match must have the item "in stock" and that west marine will charge you the associated shipping costs that would apply if you ordered it online...

I would ask the sales guy at west marine to get out the folder that has all their recent "sales flyers" in it and search for the sale priced vhf's... they will honor all past sale prices for any item you want. Trust me... ask for the sale price or the Port supply price and it should be close to all the internet prices.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
roadx

yes get the west marine warranty, im glad i bought mine. already used it once
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The West Marine extended warranty is definitely worth it, especially for things like fish finders that do not last very long anyway.

One thing to keep in mind, this warranty is not based on the item but on the price you paid. I bought a fish finder that was on close-out. When It died, I was given a credit of the amount paid toward any other item.

They probably would have swapped for a like item but by the time I exercised the warranty, my model was no longer available. I got a great deal on the first one but had to kick in a few more bucks to get a replacement.

No knock on them. It is just the way the program works.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
jorluivil

I got it on my Standard Horizon VHF, more coverage is better.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Get it. But, remember to save a copy of the receipt. Without it you're SOL.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Get it. But, remember to save a copy of the receipt. Without it you're SOL.
I've never had an issue at WM when I return without a receipt. The salespeople their are extremely helpful and will always go above and beynd to help you out. I've spent thousand of dollars there and have never had an issue returning or exchanging items without a receipt. If you have one of their rewards cards they can easily look up your purchases.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
ctrujillo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The West Marine extended warranty is definitely worth it, especially for things like fish finders that do not last very long anyway.

One thing to keep in mind, this warranty is not based on the item but on the price you paid. I bought a fish finder that was on close-out. When It died, I was given a credit of the amount paid toward any other item.

They probably would have swapped for a like item but by the time I exercised the warranty, my model was no longer available. I got a great deal on the first one but had to kick in a few more bucks to get a replacement.

No knock on them. It is just the way the program works.

Bob
i also purchased a ff that was a last floor model close out.paid a extra 17 bucks for the warranty ff screen broke took it back to store they gave me the new model that cost more than my origanal purchase for no extra cost.just bought another 17 doller warrenty and i aqm good for another 2 years. i will buy all my electronics at west marine from here on out
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote