Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
TCS

1/1/11 LJ Report

Got out at about 8:30 with offshores providing a little tailwind.
Winds died about about 10 and it turned into a really nice day.
Water was surprisingly clear given the storms we've had.
Squid hard to locate (at least for me)
Lots of fin bait.
Had a good time playing with my new sonar, peddling in circles and shooting the shit the other people out there.
Water was pretty cold, 57 I think.
No fish.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
dfroggy54
Rolly

thanks for the report!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
kobra

Hey Tom, congrats on your new ff. From what I can tell, you got the HDS-5. I picked up my HDS-5 from Bass Pro Shop last summer. I lucked out BIG TIME. They had a different unit on sale but for some reason Lowrance couldn't provide that particular model and by contract had to supply the next "comparable" unit. Well that ended up being the HDS-5 base model for $269.99. They had 50 units available on a first come first serve basis so I ended up having to spend the night in line to get one but for that price it was well worth it. Couple of weeks later, Don Iovino had a seminar on fish finders and went over some aspects of the HDS units. He also handed out some "tips and performance" handouts. Email me your address and I will send you a copy. He stressed the importance of properly adjusting the settings to maximize the performance. Also, he was at Fred Halls in Long Beach. If he is there again this year, I suggest you check out his sonar seminar. The way I see it is the more you learn about that unit, the more it can do for you and the better you can dial it in for better performance.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
TCS

Tips would be appreciated

Thanks for the offer Kobra. I paid a lot more than that. I would appreciate the tip sheet. PM sent.

The new toy has raised my potential to catch more fish, but I definitely need to learn more about how to use it to realoze that potential. My next acquisition will be a hobie livewell. (anybody have a spare livewell they want to sell?) After that a day with Josh and I should be in much better shape.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote