Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Tranducer mounting in Hobie Outback

I'm getting ready to mount a FF transducer in a Hobie Outback.
I plan on using a Wet mount in the rear hatch area just forward of the hatch.
Has anyone used this method in this described location?
If so, have you had any issues with turbulence or any other issue that would interfere with optimal operation of the unit.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Durwood101

Wow, a post I can actually respond to........must be learning something. I have an entire thread dedicated to this setup you have. I believe most would frown on mounting anything behind the mirage drive area specifically because of interference wake. I was advised against this as well...sure others will chime in here. I mounted mine in the very front in the hatch. I used a 3" rubber pipe to allow flex going through the surf. It depends on what transducer you have but a wet setup may present some challenges depending on how you mount it. The "where" question is easy to answer, the "how" is the tougher one. There are lots of setups, do a search on Bob's wetmount idea, others have had success mounting transducers in their yaks.....I struggled just trying to fit mine to the contours of the Outback.
Durwood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The previous post mentioned the struggle of making the wet mount tube fit the contour of the yak bottom. My first wet mount attempt failed for that reason but I thought up a little trick that made my 2nd attempt flawless. I took a 5 inch diameter piece of styrofoam, about an inch thick. (available at most craft stores) Then I made a 4 inch (because I was using a 4 inch piece of pvc) circle of tightly spaced 2 inch nails or brads with the nail heads pushed flush with the top of the styrofoam. Then I placed the bed of nails on the spot where I wanted to mount the transducer, and pushed the styrofoam down. The result is that the nail heads now form the contour of the spot where I'm going to mount the transducer. You can now file, sand, or otherwise form the pvc tube to rest perfectly on the nail heads, which will mean it will rest perfectly on the bottom of the yak. A good bead of Goop and you are in business. Sorry no pictures but it worked slick for me.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Kaijuu
"Floater"

thanks for the information

Just wanted to thank those that responded, I will put the info to good use. Keith
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Durwood101

Dammit Rossman, where in the hell were you last week??? LOL.
Durwood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I kept wanting to post that info on the "share your innovations" thread but I wanted to have pictures, and I just never made work of it.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote