Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
jorluivil

Cabriilo Report

Got home from work a little after 0630, yaks were loaded last night so I only needed to change out of my slacks and into some shorts, load the rest of my and my buddies gear and kiss the wifey goodbye.

We get to the gas station and my buddy Tone is looking around the bed of the truck and has this look on his face. As I'm pumping gas I asked what he was looking for and he said his pelican box (with wallet and cash) was missing. He recalled placing it on the bumper while loading but didn't remember putting it in the truck.

I stopped pumping fuel, get in the truck and haul ass backtracking to see if it fell in the street somewhere. We get down the street from our house and my buddy says, "There it is"! I bust a bitch and he jumps off, as soon as he exits the truck you can see that someone placed his wallet on the bus bench, money was missing from the money clip. Someone picked up the wallet, took the cash but was kind enough to leave the wallet.Off we go, 'stupid, stupid, stupid' is all Tone kept saying. We.......he, licks his wounds and along we go.

We get to Cabrillo and look at the conditions on the open side, wave action looks like 2' - 3' every 10 sec or so. The plan was to launch on the inside, fish down towards Angels gate, go up the wall back towards Cabrillo and land there. We launch, get some bait(still unable to make it) and fish some kelp and drag the bottom for some butts. When we were fishing we noticed that some of the wave were crashing over the wall near the pier, the plan to go out and around was imediately scrapped.....back to fishing.

We start to drag bait on the bottom and on my first drift I'm getting short bites. I grab the pole and wait for the right moment to set the hook.....BAM, SET, NOTHING! As I'm slowly winding up I'm still getting these short bites, I'm thinking its probably a small croaker but as soon as the bait is 3' - 4' from the surface I see a hali take one last hit and split....bait was tore up. What would have been my first hali ever didn't happen. After meeting up with Tone I found out that he also got a good hit at the bottom but was unable to set the hook. We'll get-em next time!

Sorry for the long report but thanks a mil if you read it all.

P.s.
We found a annual fishing license at the waters edge, license belongs to a Micael Anvoy. Do you know him? I'm going to drop it in the mail Monday.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Amish Ed

Nice report. Bummer about the cash, but at least they left the wallet. A courteous thief. As far as getting short bit, are you using a trailer hook? In the past I've had good look with using a single hook for the trailer, but I know some guys use a treble.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
jorluivil

No trailer hook but I did pick up some treble hooks today, I'm gonna get-em!!! Every part of the sardine from the gills back toward the tail was torn up, the stinger hook would have hooked the hali.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Amish Ed

I've had them eat right around the trailer hook, but they definitely help. Myself i like the single hook tied to the lead hook's shank. Got a #36 that way.