Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation (MLPA) BRTF meetings April 15/16

Public comment is set for 3 pm on Weds Apr 15 and 8:30 am on Thurs.

***NOTE, this is an opportunity to speak out on why your fishery is important to you, and NOT RANT against the process, that could backfire on us, because MLPA is the law, and it is happening. Denial is not a river in Egypt!

You can be there to speak (or sign in and cede your time to another Kayak Fisherman) on either day or both days as you wish.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 9:00 am
Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 8:30 am
Laguna Cliffs Marriott *
25135 Park Lantern
Dana Point, California 92629

Below is the agenda.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meeting_041509.asp

I have training next week, but will try to duck out for the Weds meeting.

Anyone else?

POST UP, Time to ralley, those that have said, "how can I help?" or "I feel helpless in this process" or "I feel unheard" this is your time to stand up, represent, and be heard.

Thanks,

Chris

PS: more to come.

PSS: Did you know the Spearos have rallied, and attended meetings to get a verbal committment to be able to speardive in 50 meters or less from the BRTF, due to their diving depth limits? This is because they have stepped up and been heard. We need to let the BRTF know that closure of our launch points, would be detrimental to low impact, non-polluting kayakers, who need the safety of proximaty of shoreline for a non-motorized vessel. Do you think you will catch WSB in 150ft of water? or much of anything?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
PAL

The agenda high points are posted below, along with initial comments on possible speaking approaches:

Quote:

Meeting Objectives

Receive presentation regarding pending military closures and potentially provide guidance to the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG) regarding how such areas should be considered when developing marine protected area (MPA) proposals

NOTE - These areas are gone anyway. They MUST be counted as reserves that contribute toward meeting the MLPA's conservation goals. Otherwise we may be pushed to make up for these areas elsewhere, meaning even more closures.

Receive Draft MPA arrays developed by work groups of the SCRSG and draft MPA proposals developed external to the work group process

NOTE - Kayak anglers may want to express support of proposals that protect access to La Jolla, Dana Pt, Malibu, Carp Reef, Naples, Two Harbors, and elsewhere. These include External A (FIN), External B (UASC), and Opal A. You might also want to express opposition to overly preservationist plans that wrongfully deny most public access. Maps are here http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scrsg-dprops.asp

Receive SAT, California Department of Fish and Game, California Department of Parks and Recreation, and Goal 3 analyses of draft MPA arrays and proposals

NOTE - SAT analysis is undercounting hard bottom across the study region. This could result in MPAs drastically larger than they need to be in order to meet conservation goals. The science must be improved if we are to avoid making costly, near-permanent mistakes based on bad data.

ALSO - La Jolla seal colony is a net negative to ecosystem diversity, arguing against placing an MPA here. Harbor seals are not endangered. Current rookery population is unaturally high due to human intervention.

MORE - La Jolla is a heritage area for free divers and kayak anglers, with a long history of use going back to pre-European times, and has one of the few drive-on beach launch sites, etc. Public access must be respected. A unique resource of national importance, loss of La Jolla would cripple kayak fishing. This is supported by the Ecotrust Impact Survey.

Receive 2008-2011 budget update

NOTE - As far back as the CenCal study region, the Draft Master Plan predicted annual costs as high as $40 million / year. There is little to no dedicated funding. The law requires adequate monitoring and enforcement.

ALSO - urge BRTF members to carefully consider economic impacts and their effect on the state's crippled economy. MPAs should be placed far from ports to minimize impacts. The Ecotrust data should be used to site MPAs that have minimal economic impact.

Last edited by PAL; 04-09-2009 at 09:31 AM.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation

Bump!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
PAL

Big thanks to 18 year old OC yak fisher Brendan, who attended the meeting from beginning to end, and donated his speaking time to PSO lobbyist George Osborn. George testified that the RSG can't be expected to continue without adequate science, a point that earned the only applause of the day.

There were 26 free divers. They represented themselves extremely well. There are more of us than them. It would have been nice to see some friendly faces speaking up for our fisheries.

There's another chance tomorrow - public comment is scheduled for first thing in the morning, at 8:30. The speaking points are listed above. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
kurt

I went to the meeting this morning. Some kook scuba diver explained how fisherman killed all the sea otters south of Point Concepcion and evidently we're somehow responsible for the kelp shrinking off of Laguna.
Seemed like a lot of fisherman/spearfisherman there for the public comment, but we could always use more. Especially more kayak fisherman. Hopefully there will be more meetings with public input. Keep us informed, Chris.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
PAL

Good on you Kurt! Sorry I missed you - after attending all day yesterday, I caught this one on the internet. I hope you said hello to Joe Nguyuen and the free divers. The boos came through loud and clear when that mis-informed diver spoke.

There will be many more meetings. The next one is an RSG session set for April 28-29 in Oxnard at the Residence Inn by Mariott.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Right on Kurt, thanks for attending, and the update. We need to match the Spear Diver effort! Maybe I need to take a day off for next public comment! Hopefully more kayak fisherman (I see you guys on the water, during week, and every weekend ) will rally and make it up the meeting. Speardivers are travelling from SD, carpool, have their taking points together, very organized. I know we can do the same!

chris