Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
incxalx

Where to drop hoop nets

Ive been out a couple times this week with yak for nada in the nets. Ive been dropping them near the break water in Long beach. Where should i be dropping them??
incxalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Lobster love Rocks... Kinda like their home you know.
You gotta catch them out of their holes and in your net, there is a lot of stuff you could be doing wrong to be frank...

I like my bait cage FULL!!! I like my bait in the water before the sun sets, I like my bait to be chumming into the rocks not away from the rocks watch the current.

Tip... When you go to pull on your hoop net, don't bump the line until you yank straight up and don't slow down.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Mahigeer

I don't think that anyone would give up their spots on the "net".

I agree about more bait better and chumming.

If you use the conical nets, then you don't have to worry about pulling them fast.

If you are using flat nets, then yes fastest the first 4', then slower, but not as slow as the conical.

The bugs may still be in deeper water. They also may sense the coming storm and move to deeper water.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Big T
Member, You Member!

Deeper water right now for sure. I was maxing out my net ropes the other night. Not getting much close up to the rocks, but once I tried a few spots in 35'+ water, it was on.

I will be heading out tomorrow night after the rain... or maybe IN the rain.

If you don't have a sonar, it's kinda hard to describe where to put them. Just got to watch the current, tides and swell.

Here's a quick trick to get you going.... if you don't have sonar to look at the bottom, at least find out what the tides are doing. If the tides are going out, then set up your hoops just inside the mouth and on the inside of the breakwall. If the tides are coming in, then the opposite. That should increase your chances of some bugs.

If you bring up a hoop and it has at least one bug in it, legal or not, get any potentially legal bugs out and drop it back down. I leave the babies in there and let them go back down with the hoop. You're on to something there.

If it's empty, then move up or down the wall to a place you havent been and drop it there.

I go out with completely frozen bait cages and leave them down for 35 mins.

I have a few other tricks I use, but won't tell you.

Keep at it! Your first one will have you hooked.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote