Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
StinkyMatt

Isn't California a type of Halibut? Like Pacific halibut?

It's a California halibut caught under Mexican laws in Mexico.

Exported to another country.

What's the problem?

Gorge, can you please pick up some toilet paper while you are Costco? We are running low.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
bubblehide

This whole issue turns my stomach. First and foremost, per DFW, the fish and game of this state belong to this states residents. It is DFW's job to manage OUR game for OUR benifit... Way back in the 1800's, during the Gold Rush days, commercial hunting was permitted, so that all the subsequent workers of the mining operations could be fed. This commercial hunting resulted in declines in game animals, espically deer and elk, to the point were they were endangered, Tule Elk was thought to be extinct, until a single breeding pair was discovered in the central valley in the mid 1800's.

As far as fishing goes, there have been long lines, gill nets... that have resulted in the demise of many species. All were commercial fishing related practices that resulted in population drops that threatened OUR fishery. The lobster fishery, traditionally, had been small, mostly family operations. those small operations are pretty much a thing of the past. The commercial lobster fishery has now gone corporate. As such, they are now working larger and larger ships, in OUR waters. They are now stacking permits to one vessel... The result is that they can now carry almost uncountable traps; they can fish waters that were traditionally out of range of small operations, or un-fishable with the smaller traditional vessels. With the larger vessels of today, today's technology... the commercials are making record breaking catches, that continue to grow year after year. How long can OUR lobster fishery take this kind of unprecedented harvest? To top if off, as has been previously mentioned, these commercials, are shipping the vast majority or their harvest, OUR (as in the residents of CA) lobsters, overseas to foreign markets; which does not benefit the residents of Ca; but it sure does line the poctets of those corporate commercials, and those they sell to, all way up the line to those foreign markets.

The commercials, bring a false argument of the commercialization of recreational lobstering. They claim that recreational anglers are pulling their traps from the depths, and stealing their lobster. Well, I've spent some time at the docks, I have never seen a recreational boat with a puller capable of pulling a commercial trap. The fact is that recreational pullers are not even close to being capable of pulling a commercial trap. So if we assume that someone actually is pulling commercial traps and stealing their lobster, it is clearly being done by another commercial lobster boat operator.

Sure a few people poach lobster. and sell their poached lobster. This will always happen, as when there is money to be made, some people just don't care about the laws they break. The changes proposed will do nothing to lessen this.

So what are the commercials really after out of all of this? They want to restrict the depth of water that recreational fishermen can hoop in. Why, because it gives them the best areas of production all to themselves, the deeper water. They want their season extended, why, because there is current research about the migration patterns of lobster, so that if they get their season extended, they will be able to continue to harvest lobster, far after the current season, and increase their current unprecedented record harvests, while making recreational anglers out to be the bad guys, again.

I for one, feel that, as the fish and game of this state belong to the states residents, DFW, have not only strayed from their mission in this case, they have completely lost their way. The only question I have is, how long will it be before lobster go the way of abalone. After all, they have way more in common when it comes to gestation of their young, then this process is different, i.e., Both abalone and lobster larva float the currents for months. And we know that the commercial will put a trap in every possible viable location, as they have done in the past; the only difference now, is that the areas they can cover, has grown exponentially with their ships, as has the number of traps they can carry.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

What's the problem?

Please read my post above; I could be wrong, but I think it spells it out pretty well.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
StinkyMatt

Please read MY post and the post prior to it that I was replying to. I think it spells it out pretty well...
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #25
LawDog

As far as the halibut go, California Halibut is a species of butts. The name does not necessarily mean they live in California. the CA Hali live as far south as in the Sea of Cortez. Im not sure what Mexicos legal size is but if they sell em in large stores here in the states, I would assume legal size in Mexico is much smaller than here. The reason they are being sold here is because people are buying. CA Halibut is also much cheeper than Pacific Halibut. next time you see some Pacific Hali on the shelf look at the price per pound. I think its somewhere around $15.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Bob, I thought the same thing about these halibut that I saw at Costco, they weren't even close to being legal. If they are a product of California I would have to assume they are definitely illegal

I'm still trying to understand the description of the fish:
Fresh Wild 'California' Halibut, Product of 'Mexico'

Maybe a California halibut crossed the border into Mexico, got pregnant while in Mexico and that's where these baby Halibut were born

That is just plain wrong!!!!

I would like to welcome everyone to the land of America.

Where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

In terms of kayak fishing:

Where the people full of money get more fish while the people with no money get less fish, and the poor fisherman can not even buy the rich people fish.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Saba Slayer

bump

The meeting is on Wednesday at 8:30am...
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #28
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
The meeting is on Wednesday at 8:30am...
Jim / Saba Slayer
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your hard work with this, it's not always easy to be the messenger.. and fighter, for that matter.

I really hate that they do these meetings on weekdays. At the very least if these were held in the evening, the 8-5'ers could have a chance at attending. It doesn't do the recreational community, as a whole, much justice.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
Saba Slayer

Comments

You can always make written comments to the DFG Commission.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
You can always make written comments to the DFG Commission.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Where do we send them?
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote