Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Glens Tackle

Just fyi

You OC folks may have read this on the BloodyDecks forum but Glens Tackle on Baker in Costa Mesa is closing it's doors. I've used them for all of my rod repairs for a million years and a lot of my tackle requirements. I was in there yesterday and he has all of his inventory at 30% off at least. He has a pretty good selection of Calstars and Shimano gear. Bobby said he would have a little more wiggle room on the calstars. Lots of lobster accessories like cages and tubes etc. A lot of irons available. If anyone needs to gear up, this might be a good opportunity.

Sad to see a local shop go under.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

sad to hear that...Losing good tackle shops really suck...sign of the times I guess...we all might be buying 100% of our tackle at walmart or kmart or amazon someday...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
socal_matt
Cruisin'

I remember goin in there about a month ago when he told me they were closing up shop. Pretty sad. Been going there for a couple of years now.

There's another tackle shop just like it on 17th street and Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, its called Jimmy's tackle, from the couple times I've been in there, it seems they do a lot of the same stuff Glenn's did. Just putting this out there for any other locals who might looking for another small tackle shop like I am now.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
.we all might be buying 100% of our tackle at walmart or kmart or amazon someday...
Blasphemy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post
I remember goin in there about a month ago when he told me they were closing up shop. Pretty sad. Been going there for a couple of years now.

There's another tackle shop just like it on 17th street and Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, its called Jimmy's tackle, from the couple times I've been in there, it seems they do a lot of the same stuff Glenn's did. Just putting this out there for any other locals who might looking for another small tackle shop like I am now.
Id like to second that. Its sad to see a good local tackle shop close. If you're looking for another good shop Jimmys is where I do all of my tackle shopping. Ive become friends with the two guys that operate the place and is hard to not spend hours there just shooting the sh*t. Real old school shop and is really good about keeping up with new gear and hugely discounting last seasons stuff. Plus is funny watching allen get all worked up about the gym next doors radio volume

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
t-$money bussard

thats a bummer thats my dads best friends shop. i went on my first long rage trip at 9 years old with bobby. its sad to see alot of the local shops going under. for instance anglers center i newport beach is now combined/bought out by melton tackle that was my first job. sad times in the industry.....
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Sdspeed

Is there a link to the anglers who go out on power boats and the resrictions put in place in mexican waters for those going out on the charter boats?
Fuel expenses, operating costs to be a boat owner anymore?
Fuel surcharges on the party boats?
Sad to see small businesses taking the hit,ripple effect.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote