Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah catchn the giants are definitely fun! Its messy and cold so Bring your slicker gear. The 3-5 pound models are the perfect ones to eat. You dont need to do much for these to taste good. The real huge ones are a different story...the 10 pounders and up need alot of work to make them palatable. With these you have 3 problems...they're super salty and they smell like amonia and they're really tough.

This is what i do...I first soak them in ice water for at least a day, to draw out the salt. Then I soak it in iced milk for another day to neutralize the amonia. I then take the pieces out, usually they are already cut into rectangular pieces, then i cut an 1/8 off the top and 1/8 on the bottom, to get rid of the membrane. Then you pound that sucker down with a meat tenderizer, and your good to go! Fry it up get some cocktail sauce or tartar sauce and you will be surprised how good it is! Its alot of work but totally worth it. You can bypass all this crap if you catch the 3-5 pound models.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Do they clean the squid on the boat if you them wanted too?
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
steveooo

Caught them on a boat...

Caught them on a yak...

from Steveooo on Vimeo.

You guys can catch all of them for all I care. Gross, vile, nasty things....

I tried eating some after prepping it i like 10 different ways. It was gross.

I've have heard the tentacles work good on a lead head for bass, but I've never tried it.

Either way, kill them all
Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
Do they clean the squid on the boat if you them wanted too?
Yes, but its not cheap....daveys locker was charging 2 or 3 bucks a squid, and it was mandatory. San diego is probably different, hopefully cheaper
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
TJones

strange

i did same, cut them into strips . brought them on my regular charter boat, and captain said don't waste time, with no success. to each his own , i guess?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
finyak

1-5-13 The New Seaforth 59 Anglers 700 giant humboldt squid.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Siebler

Having worked these trips they are hard work. Id take tuna over squid any day.

These things SUCK to cut. Yes it is easy but by the end of a trip your hands are BURNING if you dont wear rubber gloves (which makes you go slower because everything feels different).

They fight like a 5 gallon bucket from the deep.

As for bait they do work for Rays and sharks but thats about as much as we have caught on them.

You guys and the Risso's can have them

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Giant esqueeed...

Here's a story for you all, might get a kick out of...

Couple years back one of the dads at Clay's school, Chuck, was putting together a kids and dads afternoon fishing trip and sent Clay home with a note, knew us from the MLPA crap, wanting to know if we would come along, help out and bring some extra gear.

We go out of Helgrens, no fish anywhere, none of the kids catching. The Captain comes over and tells us that the esqueed are outside, should we take a run to the? Heck ya, the kids would love it.

We get outside, they are everywhere, kids having a blast, I happened to have a big esqueed jig, these boys were brutes, 40# range...kids and dads having a blast, everyone got to tug on one or two. Deckhands would bring them over the rail, and step on their heads to remove them, don't know which group was more in awe, the kids or the dads. One dad, non-fisher, couldn't get one, so I help him out, let him use my setup, nothing...so I start 'showing' him how to do it, jig up and down, I have one on but don't tell him...poor guy didn't realize one was on, just sat there jigging...I tell him to sweep the tip up hard, finally, he feels it, his first one. Clay and I ended up going home with 3.

Now here's the fun part...I cleaned a couple and vacuum sealed a bunch to give to friends, etc.

I had one sans head, sticking out of a big black trash bag, talking with a neighbor girl the next day...now, picture this thing is thick, grayish, with a bit of red color to it. Neighbor guy walks by, sees it, and asks what it is...I tell him I think it's a human thigh (it did look like one) and Olga (Brazilian) is right on cue, and says "Yeah, Martin found it in the dumpster..."

That guy did a wide loop to avoid us, eyes wide open in fear, started telling us we were crazy and how he wants nothing to do with us...he was literally walking as fast as he could to get away from us, to the point he was almost running...his initial reaction was hilarious!

Best part is, he had just moved in to the hood...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I want to go squid fishing Monday on Seaforth if there is somebody esle going- I used one of the giant glow squid jigs about 1 foot long...Any body else in???
Best to go on a boat to have them clean them and deal with the mess...they clean and peal skin off...They are very good eating - you cut the white filet into 2X2 squares and pound it with a tenderizing mallet dip into batter and deep fry til golden brown dip in tartar or cocktail sauce...wear water proof pants and jacket they spray alot of ink and it is a really fun trip if they are biting like Saturday night....!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp_beach_ski_squid_truck132006 069.jpg (69.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Old Man in the Sea; 01-06-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
more squid pics...

Picture of a girl who got slimed big time....
picture of the squid with big jig in the background
sunset heading out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072.jpg (40.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 086.jpg (72.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 065.jpg (41.3 KB, 102 views)
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #31
Dannowar

Biting my tongue. Looks like too much clean up for my OCD.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
finyak

x2 biting my tongue.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #33
driftwood

Great picture Randy! Reminds me of ghostbusters..."i got slimed"

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #34
JeffB

That picture is great!!!

Well I went out and did the deed! It was fun, Had one big one pull off some drag and work me over, but came off about 3/4 of the way up. Besides that it felt like pulling up hoopnets full of lobster in them, best way to describe it. Only with a rod vs. your hands. I would recommend it though at least once. Like I said, had one screamer which was pretty cool. They were not monster, but still fun.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #35
jorluivil

When I owned my boat I considered going out for them but as soon as I started reading stories about private boaters spending 3 hours plus just cleaning the gel coat on their boats I said HELL NO, not me. Personally, I don't think they're worth the time and effort one has to put in to get them prepared, I rather spend my day catching lizard fish.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote