Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

LOBSTER REPORT CARDS

I posted this on BD in response to a couple of comments, so I thought I'd repost the info here for my Kayak Friends...
Mike, Al, and I represent about 30,000 Recreational Report Card holders on the Lobster FMP Advisory committee...DFG has asked us to come up with a way to reduce our effort as hoopers and divers in order to keep our resource a sustainable one. Myself, along with the other committee members refuse to make any action on future reg. changes until we get good numbers from the report card returns.
14% to 20% is PISS POOR RETURNS...and no way can I ever feel good about making reg. changes based on these returns while the DFG guesses on the other 80% of our possible recreational catch.
Most guys I talk to that didn't turn in their cards are the ones that bought it then didn't go out or didn't catch anything, so they felt it wasn't important to turn in. The Zeros are just as important as the 7's...maybe even more important. And then there is the estimated 10 to 15% that DON'T TRUST THE DFG and will not turn in their cards!!!!
The proposal to make the cards seasonal is a very important factor in getting good scientific info on our local Bugs. With the yearly card it was just too long a lag between getting the complete season info together.
I proposed having a survey card at the places where you buy your report card and if a person didn't turn in their report card the previous season they could fill out the survey card and estimate their number of trips and Bugs caught and then get their new card....The DFG said that this would allow a lot of folks to give false info on the survey, and they felt that "No Info was better than Bad Info"...so...they added a $20 FEE to get a new card, if you didn't turn in your old one. It's called a FEE to be used to recover the lost info and not a FINE....to establish a fine the DFG would have to go through more regulatory steps and it would slow down the process and we would not be able to achieve the seasonal change by the 2014 season.
Saluki..."That blows monkey balls!"....WHY?...just send it in by snail mail or report online and you won't be charged the $20.
You guys can distrust the DFG all you want...yes I know we got it slammed up our Butts on the MLPA's...If I sat on my hands and let the DFG make all the decisions, then I think we'd get it up the Butt again, so Al, Mike and I are trying to protect our rights as best we can against the MACHINE...please support us as we represent your rights to a fresh caught Lobster dinner!
This Report Card change was just proposed to the DFG Commission before Christmas...there is still plenty of time to voice your opinion by writing a letter to the Commission, or going to their next meeting and speaking up, or you can attend the next LOBSTER FMP Meeting in February at the Los Alamitos office...or send me an Email with your suggestions and I'll read it at the next FMP meeting...jsalazarhoop@gmail.com!
Unlike fishermen we have no organized group to represent us as Lobster Hoopers and Divers...We need feedback from our constituency...if you have something helpful and creative to say about our lobster resource....then speak-up.
I hope I relayed all the info I had correctly...
Happy New Year
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
dbarnett66
Danodog

I watched a person come in from the bay a couple months ago after the start of the season. I have no idea who he was. He was a firm believer that the report cards cards are an attempt to get the "ammunition" they need to shut down the fishery altogether. He told me that he has lobster fished for years and knows that his numbers have been lower than the past, both size and quantity.

I never hoop netted before and was asking all kinds of questions to find out how to catch one of these bugs. He seemed a little agitated when I told him that I bought a new kayak and was hoping to catch some. His reply to my enthusiasm, was to hurry up and fish before the DFG shut the lobster season down. He went on to explain that he sees too many traps and kayaks out there. He gave me a long stare and there was an awkward silence. I didn't feel like talking much after that.

He could have been trying to scare me off, but I could see that he was not a happy camper. I hope to catch a few bugs out there. My personal feeling is that I will comply with the regulations and increased fees. I won't hoop net until 10/2013 since the money has been spent on other things for the new yak.

I know my story is hearsay, but I thought I could provide one perspective on the report card issue.

Danodog.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote