Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
October
Fish Whisperer

When to throw the irons?

I was just wondering, is there a a certain time you should throw the iron? Colored? Reflective (i would assume that would be when the sun is high and out)? And whats the typical way to fish them? Cast and immediate steady retrieve?

Im trying to give FW bass fishing a break right now and get into some REAL fishing but its a whole new world. My only salt roots go back to WA state casting out pink buzz bombs from the piers for salmon, and the occasional surf fishing adventures here in CA
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
echo1er

hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-KH...e=results_main
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
October
Fish Whisperer

awesome, thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

what i gather that that film is that people on charter boats need rails to assist with bringing in 10lb YT.

looks like.. its best to chuck the iron when the bite is near the surface.. or when you're out of bait but not ready to go in yet.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
taggermike

Most irons in so cal fall in to either heavy or light irons. Brass vs aluminum. Bottom or water column vs surface presentation. This time of year you're talking about surface iron. When to cast/throw the iron? I'll cast an iron at about any thing that is happening on the surface. Some things are obvious like birds working, fish boiling, or bait jumping out of the water and running for thier lives. Other signs are more subtle, like fish tailing or leaving a little V behind them or loose flocks of birds circling an area. Even 1 of the tiny least turns circling and looking down can show you where fish are. Birds are your best friends out there. They are pros, out every single day, and fishing to stay alive. On over cast days the little turns are kinda hard to see but you can get to know the calls the turns make when they're cruising or on fish. From a kayak you can hear them from a ways off. Thats a good video about iron sellecting. Generaly you rerieve light iron slower than heavies and right under the surface. You'll hear guys talk about a jig that "swims". Thats the side to side motion. Different irons swim at different speeds and you varry your retreive acordingly. I like an iron that swims fast for YT, medium for cuda, and slower for calicos back over the kelp. Long reply but I love surface iron fishing and could write a book on it. Get out there and get throwing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Most irons in so cal fall in to either heavy or light irons. Brass vs aluminum. Bottom or water column vs surface presentation. This time of year you're talking about surface iron. When to cast/throw the iron? I'll cast an iron at about any thing that is happening on the surface. Some things are obvious like birds working, fish boiling, or bait jumping out of the water and running for thier lives. Other signs are more subtle, like fish tailing or leaving a little V behind them or loose flocks of birds circling an area. Even 1 of the tiny least turns circling and looking down can show you where fish are. Birds are your best friends out there. They are pros, out every single day, and fishing to stay alive. On over cast days the little turns are kinda hard to see but you can get to know the calls the turns make when they're cruising or on fish. From a kayak you can hear them from a ways off. Thats a good video about iron sellecting. Generaly you rerieve light iron slower than heavies and right under the surface. You'll hear guys talk about a jig that "swims". Thats the side to side motion. Different irons swim at different speeds and you varry your retreive acordingly. I like an iron that swims fast for YT, medium for cuda, and slower for calicos back over the kelp. Long reply but I love surface iron fishing and could write a book on it. Get out there and get throwing. Mike
Thanks for the information Mike... I can never read enough on different techniques. While I do toss at the obvious, your post reminds me not to overlook anything and to toss at the less obvious too.

Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post

awesome info thanks man
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
steward147
Junior

Nice

Nice post.................................,