Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
sasha

Just a few Qs

Well i got a stealth 14 and wonder what does everyone uses the rear hatch for on the water. I find that its useless as i got a crate in the back so i cant open it. As for me i wish it wasnt there like S-12 or faced up.
But the real thing i notices was that everytime i land back on shore with surf between 2-3ft the kayak seems to turn left. it happens very fast and just sends me for a swim. It never went to the right. At first i said it must be me as i were new to kayaking. After all this time why wont it ever go to the right no matter if i try to guide it right. Its goes nice and well and then when top of the wave is under me or so its instant left and im in the water. One other thing i noticed is that while on the water if i lean to one side of the kayak seem to dip a little easier then the other side. Got it as a Blem so wonder if there is something going on with the hull of the kayak. How can i check for it??? Or if its my technic that causing the kayak to go left what do i do wrong or what should i look for to see what i do wrong.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

If you are in front of the wave, you are going DOWN!!!
You need to be either right on top of it or following close behind it.

Once the wave starts breaking on you...

ITS OVER and admit defeat...

If it starts pushing you forward i paddle backwards, until i get the last swell in the break and i paddle to land and abandon my ship and claim VICTORY!!! and always unleash your paddle before landing...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
salty pirate

put the yak on a stand upside down and take a few steps back, does it look symmetrical? look at it from the side's and the top too. there is probably nothing you can do to fix it if it's asymmetrical but at least you will know the cause. have you tried surfing it empty? maby the weight is distributed differently on the new yak.

good luck
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

It is a northern hemisphere thing

I land anticipating a turn to the right every time, as in I keep my bow pointed a little right of perpendicular to the beach, then you are ready to brace into the wave and side/slide in
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
sasha

I looked at it before but couldnt put a finger on anything. Going to try again this weekend. Andy I do try to point it into the right but it would just instantly go left on me. I got no idea but it seems that it would flip everytime right before landing close to shore so it never throws me in deep water. Just trying to get opinions from everyone.
Now what about the rear hatch Whos idea was it to put a hatch that you cant open on the water.. Is it just me or other people start wondering about things like that after been kayaking for a while?? maybe i got too much time and need to get on the water fishing again .

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
fknricter

is anything dragging? bait pump or something?? otherwise, if i get pushed sideways, i dig my paddle between me and the wave, and lean into it just a little bit. get wet but usually land ok (knocks on wood)

wasnt the back hatch used for a baitwell on some malibu kayaks?