Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Drake

Polishing Hull of Proangler

My PA is pretty scratched up from the previous owner. I was wondering if there was a good way to polish it up and make it look better. I was thinking of either using a rubbing compound/polishing compound combo or lightly lightly lightly wetsanding it with really fine sand paper. If it gets a matte look to it that way I'm totally ok with that.
I just don't want to thin the hull anymore than I have to. Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
MrM

Interesting post... I would love to hear if anyone has info on this. I've got a scratch or two from beach landings I'd like to fill in and smooth out.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
mrJB

Polyethylene will buff and/or sand out to a certain extent, just a lot of work and will never get a supershine. It will only get the very lightest scratches. You can get somewhat deeper scratches by scraping, either with a cabinet scraper or razor blade, but then you are taking off some material.

I've done it - scraped, wet sanded, buffed with a buffer, on and on. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it. A heat gun will put some shine back into it but there are potential risks...

My $.02, clean it up, put some sacrificial tape strips on the wear area, and use some plastic protectant on it Try to keep it nice from this point on and wash it down after every outing...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

"battle scars"
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Drake

The only reason I want to clean it up is to sell it. I don't want to sell it looking like it fell off my truck
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The only reason I want to clean it up is to sell it. I don't want to sell it looking like it fell off my truck
Its not a woman you're selling. Gys will really not care about the 'wear n tear' but they will enjoy the stories that are behind them

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Chief Gunner

Take the seat off and anything that will keep it from laying upside down unevenly (rod holder mounts etc).

Put some blankets, towels or drop cloths on the Driveway or Garage floor on the ends and then Flip it completely upside down so it sits "On an even keel" & then Wet sand the deep gouges with 800-1000 grit emery cloth then rinse well so you can get any grit out that got embedded in the plastic.

Make sure you have got good light and no wind or breeze and then break out a hand held propane torch (home depot, lowes or true value or even harbor freight has them).

Start very lightly keeping a good distance from what you want to smooth out and Slowly work the flame closer to the hull. Focus on the distance from the tip of the torch and watch the color of the flame and the sheen of the area around the flames contact area on the plastic.

As you go take the time to change you angles of view on the area you are working on and shift the light if you are using a drop light. ...You do not want any excessive smoke!.

It's all about being methodical & slow but be Very, Very Carefull!!!

So you do not burn a hole through it!

With a little practice and a gentile touch you can make any Plastic hulled Kayak shine like a Diamond in a Goats Ass using a hand held propane torch
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Cbad Mike

Interesting thought using a torch but if I myself was going to do that I would use a flame spreading nozzle. I think that using one would would give a more even finish while lessening the chance of burning the plastic. Thats my 2 cents.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
tacmik

Has anyone ever tried a hair blower? Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
T-Rex

I've used my heat gun several times and it works pretty good for smoothing out rough areas and bring back the gloss. Easier to use, but not as fast as a propane torch.

I don't think a hair dryer will get hot enough to be effective.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
sandsquirt
Junior

They make a product called Plastic Renew for motorcycle/atv fenders. I imagine that it would work well on kayaks.
sandsquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsquirt View Post
They make a product called Plastic Renew for motorcycle/atv fenders. I imagine that it would work well on kayaks.
that's a great idea, I may try that out...thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
I've used my heat gun several times and it works pretty good for smoothing out rough areas and bring back the gloss. Easier to use, but not as fast as a propane torch.

I don't think a hair dryer will get hot enough to be effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxpM7CVY-4
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Wash the kayak good and then use Armor All top and bottom. Wipe it down good.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote