Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Looking for a new Paddle

I'm looking to get a new paddle. I have had the AT paddles and like them, but was wondering how you all, or what you all think of the Aqua Bound, and Bending Branches paddles?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

The Aqua Bound Manta Ray Carbon is what i got and its a great paddle, the blade doesnt flutter and its lighter than most paddles.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
wade

The Bending Branches Angler Pro is the best Kayak Fishing paddle on the market right now for both price, performance & quality, IMHO.
Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

http://bendingbranches.com/paddles/k...ing/angler-pro

Kayak fishing pros don’t just focus on lures and lines. They focus on their paddle. They want light weight, so paddling doesn’t sap their energy. They demand strength from tip to tip. And they expect performance that matches their rigs. The Angler Pro is that kind of paddle.

The Anger Pro was designed by kayak anglers, for kayak fishing. Serious gear for a serious fishing experience. This 30oz gem from Bending Branches, with its T-700 Carbon shaft and Multi-Laminate Fiberglass blades, makes us all look like pros. Get one, and you’ll give even the pros a case of paddle envy.

Product Details
Blade Material:
Multi-Laminate Fiberglass
Blade Size:
6.8" x 19" (104 sq in)
Blade Color:
Sea Green, Camo
Shaft Color:
Black
Shaft Type:
t-700 Carbon
Lengths Available:
220 cm
230 cm
240 cm
Weight:
30 oz (850g)
Drip Rings:
Black - Heavy Duty
Ferrule Angles:
0º & 60º - Left or Right
Shaft Size:
Standard

Last edited by wade; 04-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Baja_Traveler

He probably does not remember, but I bought Wades old Bending Branches paddle about a year ago. I picked it up for my touring boat because of its light weight and good paddle design. Only had a chance to use it a few times (I've been pedaling ever since), but it is light years better than my heavy old Werner glass paddle.

+1 on the BB
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I'm looking to get a new paddle. I have had the AT paddles and like them, but was wondering how you all, or what you all think of the Aqua Bound, and Bending Branches paddles?
I have a Bending Branches 'Slice/Glide?' Low angle paddle and like it a lot since it has a lot of blade surface if I really need to high angle 'dig' to get moving while surf launching, but it does hurt my back if I do that. Planning on buying an AT carbon bent shaft also for the lakes.
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
MrPatrick

Paddles

Those weigh a ton! I'll keep my all carbon ONNO.
I have a bending branches for the wife, real nice paddle.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Those weigh a ton! I'll keep my all carbon ONNO.
How long it took you to receive your Onna paddle?
I paypal Onno 30 days ago, and the owner is still waiting for his part (locker) to come.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
MrPatrick

Onno

I got it used For forty dollars from a guy that knew nothing about kayaks when he bought a kayak shop and its contents.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I got it used For forty dollars from a guy that knew nothing about kayaks when he bought a kayak shop and its contents.
Can I pay you triple for that ?
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
MrPatrick

yeh right

uh............no
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
bellcon

Simple choice for me.

Brand; Werner
Model; The one that best suits your paddling style. (I prefer the Corryvrecken Carbon)
Supplier; OEX Sunset Beach

Combine a Werner paddle with OEX's unbeatable customer service, you will be happy you did.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

I have been looking at the Werner paddles since day 1 that I got into Kayaking. I've heard great things about them. I like my AT paddle, but didn't like that the connection point is known for breaking. OEX by far has the best customer service hands down for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Simple choice for me.

Brand; Werner
Model; The one that best suits your paddling style. (I prefer the Corryvrecken Carbon)
Supplier; OEX Sunset Beach

Combine a Werner paddle with OEX's unbeatable customer service, you will be happy you did.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Jim Sammons LJKF

Seriously we have people that peddle Hobies telling you what the best paddle is.
You want an honest opinion there is no such thing as a fishing paddle, what you put a length sticker on it and now it is a fishing paddle?

I can't and won't tell you about all the other paddles out there, because I don't use them. I can tell you that I now use, and have for many years, a Werner Kaliste crank shaft and it is better than any other paddle that I have used by a large margin. Try one out and I am sure you will agree.
It doesn't have a hook remover or length marker on it but after a long day on the water you won't care, you will be stoked that you have plenty of energy left and no shoulder or elbow fatigue.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

I don't have a paddle kayak anymore but when I did I used the werner ikelos, awsome paddle with a lot of power. Ya can't go wrong with one of the werner carbon fiber models.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
a Werner Kaliste crank shaft and it is better than any other paddle that I have used by a large margin. Try one out and I am sure you will agree.
I totally agree with Jim on this I have used this same paddle for a couple years now and it fits nicely on the side of the Hobie too ...........and Don is not far off the mark
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
GregAndrew

I also have the CorreyVrecken Werner paddle. I literally have thousands of miles on this paddle without a problem. They all push water, but take a good look at the specs. Weight is going to be a big factor if you plan on fishing well away from the launch without peddles.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
ctrujillo

I pedal now also but when i padeled i used a werner camano i sold it with my xfator and man what a mistake i wish i would have kept it the hobie padal sucks
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

I have no idea about any paddles.

I CAN tell you that Greg regularly leaves all the hobies way behind him when we fish.

I would buy whatever stick he says is good.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I have no idea about any paddles.

I CAN tell you that Greg regularly leaves all the hobies way behind him when we fish.

I would buy whatever stick he says is good.
While I don't normally agree with ANYTHING Matt says he's right on this one. We find ourselves peddling like some Tour De France cyclist while Greg paddles effortlessly alongside us.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
wade

It is an honest review from a paddler of all kayaks & paddles.
I still have to launch with a paddle, land with a paddle, navigate through kelp with a paddle, navigate though flats/shallows with a paddle,oyster beds, pilings, docks, sight fishing/stalking, SUP, ect. ect..Its no lame sticker tape measure either. It is a special application to the carbon fiber shaft.The Angler Pro I suggested doesnt have a hook remover either.

Jackson's other veteran Drew Gregory ecstatically uses & endorses the Bending Branches Angler Pro.

I have tested countless paddles on the market & I find the Angler Pro to be an effortless paddle from the blade design first & foremost. Not due the fancy color choices or additional advertising features, which are nothing more than a complete bonus on top of an amazing paddle. This paddle doesn't leave you zapped of energy at the end of a full day of paddling. It cuts like a razor. Remember I also have to power a boat/kayak that sports a tri-hull design and a width of 36". Couple that with a completely blown rotator cuff & you might begin to comprehend why I need an effortless Kayak fishing paddle to power one of the biggest kayaks on the market. (Pro Angler)
To prevent hang ups with frequent loose stringers of kelp in the shoreline, especially @ night which stops a Mirage Drive in its tracks, I paddle through the line up..I need to get momentum built up fast moving a near skiff compared to my ol' Prowler 15's razor piercing easy paddling hull..In the end, its going to be like your dinner preference anyhow..Some like wide blade designs, others more suited towards a touring style cut.
You'll have to try a few out OTW to really make your mind up & find what you really like.
Just like with a kayak, one shouldn't get one sight unseen merely by one persons great write up. Demo always.. If anyone see's me OTW, come by swap & try it out for a few laps & I'm sure you'll instantly agree with its performance. Field tested, tried & true..
Or spend an additional 175, the decision is up to you...

Eric Hughes, Drew Gregory and Evan Howard.

Fellow Teammate of mine Mr. Alan Ryland:
One of the most demanding Kayak Fishing tournaments around!
(The AFWC (Adventure Fishing World Championship) is a new format of kayak fishing that combines: fishing, strategy, navigation and paddling resulting in a true Everglades Adventure! XTeams of two anglers compete to reach and catch fish at a minimum of 3 out of X5 Xeligible checkpoints, in any order,and return to the start/finish before checking at 5PM with the largest total fish length. This is a catch-photo-release redfish, snook, and trout tournament. X Checkpoint locations are secret until start-time and there is no suggested route. Routes will vary between 6-12 miles, and should take 6-9 hours to complete. PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.The Adventure Fishing World Championship will be held deep in the waters of the Everglades National Park-the largest designated sub-tropical wilderness reserve on the North American continent. XWith the Everglases exceptional variety water habitats Xand being at the juncture of temperate and sub-tropical America, fresh and brackish water, shallow bays and deeper coastal waters creates a complex of habitats supporting a high diversity of flora and fauna. There will be NO water or food support on course. Once you leave the start/finish you are on your own.)

"30+ miles in two days between pre-fishing and tournament day for the Adventure Fishing World Championship in Everglades City, FL. My partner and I Capt Alex Gorichky finished 9th overall out of 32 teams with only 16 teams completing the tournament requirements. My paddle of choice was my BB Angler Pro. What an an incredible paddle !!!"

Another Teammate of mine Mr. Bob Bramblet / Florida Flats Master..

One Fish, Many GoPros: Episode 2, "The Silver Rocket" Drew Gregory

Another fellow Bending Branches teammate of mine Mr.Stewart Venable:
"I christened my new 2013 Jackson Coosa in flooded tributary of the Coosa River in Alabama by bagging my new personal best river spot; a fat piglet that hammered a peacock River Special spinnerbait. This day also put my new Bending Branches Angler Pro through the paces and it passed with flying colors. Coosa and Angler Pro = river fisherman's dream!"

Last edited by wade; 04-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote