Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
senorfish
Junior

Your thoughts on a Ocean Kayak Trident 15

I'm thinking of purchasing a Trident 15 from a friend for $500. The kayak is in good condition with no scratches on the hull or sides. The price includes the seat, paddle and transport wheels. I'm new to kayaking and would like to learn to fish from a yak but I'm not sure what to buy. Does anyone here recommend this boat? Any thoughts good or bad?

Thanks,
Fred
senorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
MrPatrick

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395885574.725491.jpg
Great kayak! Fits almost everybody. Fast, stable, rod pod, in and out of the surf well. I'm 5'9" and 250+, not flexible, not agile and very comfortable in all conditions. It takes big boat wakes and swells like a champ and it has the rod pod!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

I have one and it is my third kayak. I am 5'11" and 150# and really like the Trident. I have also had a Scupper Pro tankwell and a regular Prowler 15.

For me the Trident is a nice dry ride and tracks well. I especially like the ability to stow items inside the rod pod - dry bag, hand pump, spare 2-piece paddle - and store the rods for surf launch (not a problem in the past) and landing (when I typically provide entertainment to anyone around). The transducer mount is a nice bonus as is the sonar shield.

I like the recess where the tacklebox fits - feature of the regular Prowler as well.

The extra 2 feet of length over the 13 can be a concern for storing and maneuvering in the garage/shed. I can't speak to the performance difference over the shorter versions as I have only had the 15 foot Prowlers and the SPTW was 14.

I paid 500 for it used with a lower end paddle and cheapie seat. I have no regrets. If the seat and paddle are lower end then you can upgrade those after getting the requisite safety gear.

If still in doubt, paddle it and see how it feels.

Hope that helps
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
buddha

Excellent deal at 500 bucks. Very popular boat and the mod pod is a great feature and makes it easy to store rods and equipment under the hull.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
MrM

The 13 ft version was my first kayak, soon to be replaced with an Outback. The Trident is an outstanding kayak, I honestly think it's one of the better paddle-yaks out there. I paid $1000 for mine 2 years ago, at $500 it's a steal in my eyes. Great kayak, surf launches well, easy to maneuver in open water, fast, pretty stable (I flipped once, it was my fault, not like a wake threw me off) no complaints about it as a paddle-yak. You won't be let down.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
45user

I have one for sale (haha ok shameless plug) it's actually trident prowler 15. I upgraded the pod to the mod pod. This was my first kayak and having hard time selling it because I like it A LOT! Just don't have enough space to store 3 kayaks (hobie revo 11 and stealth 12)
As stated above excellent kayak for open water, tracks well and did I say it's fast? It's fast!
Great overall kayak!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
primosurf

[QUOTE=45user;187927]I have one for sale (haha ok shameless plug) it's actually trident prowler 15. I upgraded the pod to the mod pod. This was my first kayak and having hard time selling it because I like it A LOT! Just don't have enough space to store 3 kayaks (hobie revo 11 and stealth 12)
As stated above excellent kayak for open water, tracks well and did I say it's fast? It's fast!
Great overall kayak!

Good yak good deal!
primosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
senorfish
Junior

Great info everyone. Thank you. I'll post some pics when I get it this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
senorfish is offline   Reply With Quote