Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
buddha

Lews BB2 Inshore Reels

I like low profile reels but most of them are for freshwater not saltwater.

Lew's has two reels now in saltwater in bait casting versions.

Here is a review of the Lew's Inshore BB1 Speed Spool reel.

http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/14...ing-reel?s=537

http://www.lews.com/casting-bb1inshore.php

I recently ordered the Lew's BB2 Inshore Speed Spool which has a bigger line capacity and should get it by the end of the week. Should be a good calico reel.

http://www.lews.com/casting-bb2inshore.php

Anyone else care to comment on Lew's reels.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
AirborneYak

I have 2 Lew's speed spool tournament pro. I have used it for fresh and salt and it has held it pretty well. I have been looking into the BB1 though. Let me know how you like it. It just might be enough to convince me to buy it.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
I have 2 Lew's speed spool tournament pro. I have used it for fresh and salt and it has held it pretty well. I have been looking into the BB1 though. Let me know how you like it. It just might be enough to convince me to buy it.
The BB2 has a larger capacity spool than the BB1 and it also comes in left handed.

I will let you know how it performs but talking with several guys online in the Texas Kayak Fishing forum they all have given it glowing reviews.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
45user

I have couple of Lew's reels and been happy with it so far. They cast very well and kept up with minimal rinsing after every outing
Now I need to take a look at BB2 because I wished they would come out with lexa 300/curado 300 size
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
I have couple of Lew's reels and been happy with it so far. They cast very well and kept up with minimal rinsing after every outing
Now I need to take a look at BB2 because I wished they would come out with lexa 300/curado 300 size
Yes the BB2 has the same capacity as the Lexa 300. I will have both reels now.

The BB2 is a lighter reel though.

Last edited by buddha; 03-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
buddha

Lew's BB2 Inshore Speed Spool Excellent!

I tried the reel out today and spooled it with 12 lb. copolymer izorline. I used a cheap berkley lightning rod m/h with it not the best rod for casting. Until I get my new rod for it this will work.

The results were great. Really solidly built and engineered. Does not feel cheap whatsoever. Casted like a dream and the retrieve was really smooth. Drag was smooth as well with a 14 lb. drag.

This reel has three drainage ports to prevent saltwater from getting in.

I have talked with several people from the Texas Kayak forum and 100% of the reviews have been positive. Very few reviews to be found anywhere and almost none in socal.

This is a great reel to use for all things bass here in socal: freshwater, bay, and calico/sand.

Brass gearing, upgraded bearings, 3 drain ports all make this a nice low profile reel for saltwater.

This is just an excellent reel all around and I am glad that Lew's made the transition to saltwater also as it has a loyal following now. A lot of guys left shimano after the "g" series debacle and they found Lew's.

I may be a Lew's guy for life at least for the bass gear. If they made a baitcaster the size of the Lexa 400 I would definitely give it a go.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
AirborneYak

I really like my Lexa 300 and after your review of the lews bb2 I might just sell my Calcutta 300 to buy it. Thank you for the review!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
buddha

Quote:
I really like my Lexa 300 and after your review of the lews bb2 I might just sell my Calcutta 300 to buy it. Thank you for the review!
I think you will really like the reel. If you like your Lews Tournament Pro reels you will love the Lews Inshore Reel. In the Texas kayak forums those guys fish the salt hard and the reels have survived and thrived.

I bought mine on Ebay and there are several sellers that have the BB1 and the BB2 and you can make an offer to buy. My seller accepted my offer.

I only use left handed reels and am glad that the BB2 comes in left but the BB1 does not.

I own the Lexa 300 also. It is a heavier and more bulky reel than the BB2. The BB2 is a much smoother reel.

Both the Lews BB2 and the Lexa 300 carry 190 yrds of 14 lb.mono

The BB2 is almost 3 ounces lighter than the Lexa.

Last edited by buddha; 03-27-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
AirborneYak

3oz lighter! Yeah! That's my next reel purchase! I have my lexa on a shins no inshore terimar mh and he balance is awesome on it. What are you going to have the bb2 rod on?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
buddha

Quote:
3oz lighter! Yeah! That's my next reel purchase! I have my lexa on a shins no inshore terimar mh and he balance is awesome on it. What are you going to have the bb2 rod on?
The Lews BB2 weighs 8.1 oz.

The lexa 300 is 10.5 oz. with the standard handle and 11.3 oz. with the power handle.

I have a few rods I am thinking of using.

I have this lamiglas rod which I love for the bay and also for crankbaits and spinnerbaits haven't used it for calicos yet but might give it a try. I have the 7'9 rod. http://www.lamiglas.com/?page_id=1577

I also just bought this rod and am waiting for it to come in the mail. It is a Okuma Shadow Stalker in 7'0 MH.

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/...shadow-stalker

Both of these setups should be fine for freshwater , bay or calico.

Last edited by buddha; 03-28-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #11
Maxfli123

Lews is top notch and they have great customer service. One of the guys in the service dept. has roots from north county and really takes care of us when or if you ever need anything. I have the bb2 and is better than any other reel in this price range. All my lews reels hold up great in the saltwater environment when properly cleaned after each use. I will no longer buy any other reel as I feel lews has the best bang for your buck and hold up with proper care. I think you will be stoked on your purchase, I know I am!
I have mine matched with 8'6" Terez waxwing Mh and it is balanced nicely, it casts a mile, but looking for a rod that is less top heavy as this reel is so light, the options are unlimited as the bb2 is a very versatile reel...

Last edited by Maxfli123; 03-28-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfli123 View Post
Lews is top notch and they have great customer service. One of the guys in the service dept. has roots from north county and really takes care of us when or if you ever need anything. I have the bb2 and is better than any other reel in this price range. All my lews reels hold up great in the saltwater environment when properly cleaned after each use. I will no longer buy any other reel as I feel lews has the best bang for your buck and hold up with proper care. I think you will be stoked on your purchase, I know I am!
I have mine matched with 8'6" Terez waxwing Mh and it is balanced nicely, it casts a mile, but looking for a rod that is less top heavy as this reel is so light, the options are unlimited as the bb2 is a very versatile reel...
What reels have you owned before and what kind of fishing do you do with the BB2?
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Maxfli123

I have the tourney mg older reel, tourney pro, super duty, and now team lite lfs a few spinning reels including their newest line up. I have sold to my buddies a few tourney pros as they never want to give them back after using them. I have converted some hardcore shimano guys after a few casts. The new team lite is my go to for just about everything. It is light smooth casts great and has held up to my weekend adventures. I have it paired with dx 744 and it is a sick combo...so freaken lite it's hard to believe its not magnesium, time will tell how the new frame holds up.
I use the bb2 for throwing a-rig, irons, swimbaits, I have only caught calico, barracuda, halibut with it nothing huge, but with my previous experience with other lews reels I have no fear the drag and gears can handle it. Some wish it had more drag but a little secret is you can get a drag washer part 49 I believe and it will add a few extra pounds of drag if you need.
Lews for life
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #14
chuckt

Is it US made reel? Haven't heard much here, but a friend on the east coast uses quite a lot.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #15
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Is it US made reel? Haven't heard much here, but a friend on the east coast uses quite a lot.
Here is Lew's history
http://www.lews.com/ourstory.php

There are probably no US made reels anymore with any of the major fishing reel companies.

Shimano I believe is Malaysia made now but used to be made solely in Japan. I think there are some reels still made in Japan.

Daiwa reels are made in Thailand and some still in Japan.

Lew's are manufactured in Korea.

Much like automobiles fishing reels are made in Asia now.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Maxfli123

If it was all done in the US is would cost way too much to buy unfortunately the U.S. doesn't make it affordable for us business people...so to keep prices low and customers happy we go over seas. Sad but true...not to get politcal but there should be major incentives to keep business here instead of looking else where. There are other manufacturers that use the same Korean factory as lews but for some reason lews come out much better...imho
Also servicing a lews reels takes me around 30 mins where as the shimanos i have take a little longer close to an hour for me(I'm slow and maticulous), but found lews much easier to work with and no stupid clips like shimano has.
good luck with the reel...I'm sure you will not be disappointed in its performance.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #17
buddha

Quote:
If it was all done in the US is would cost way too much to buy unfortunately the U.S. doesn't make it affordable for us business people...so to keep prices low and customers happy we go over seas. Sad but true...not to get politcal but there should be major incentives to keep business here instead of looking else where. There are other manufacturers that use the same Korean factory as lews but for some reason lews come out much better...imho
Also servicing a lews reels takes me around 30 mins where as the shimanos i have take a little longer close to an hour for me(I'm slow and maticulous), but found lews much easier to work with and no stupid clips like shimano has.
good luck with the reel...I'm sure you will not be disappointed in its performance.
When you get a brand new Lew's reel do you flush out the bearings and reinstall them? Or have you upgraded the bearings with Hedgehog or Abec bearings? I am thinking of doing a supertune on my Lew's and see how it performs.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
Maxfli123

I have not supertuned any of my reels in my lews line up...but like you I have toyed with the idea of upgrading like I did my curado line up. Honestly though I don't find myself needing any extra distance but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. I have only added a washer to my mg to test the drag and it seems like that extra washer adds a few extra pounds, haven't really put it through any scientific tests so I could be off.
As for cleaning it out or cleaning the bearings, I have only had to do that on a spinning reel I bought recently. It was loaded with grease, not sure why so much but there was, I'm kind of picky so maybe it was just me. They recommend that you use high quality reel oil after every saltwater trip, but I only rinse and forget about it. Service every month depending on usage.
Are you hearing noise from the bearings?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
buddha

Quote:
I have not supertuned any of my reels in my lews line up...but like you I have toyed with the idea of upgrading like I did my curado line up. Honestly though I don't find myself needing any extra distance but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. I have only added a washer to my mg to test the drag and it seems like that extra washer adds a few extra pounds, haven't really put it through any scientific tests so I could be off.
As for cleaning it out or cleaning the bearings, I have only had to do that on a spinning reel I bought recently. It was loaded with grease, not sure why so much but there was, I'm kind of picky so maybe it was just me. They recommend that you use high quality reel oil after every saltwater trip, but I only rinse and forget about it. Service every month depending on usage.
Are you hearing noise from the bearings?
No noise at all. Many guys especially shimano guys clean their bearings after buying a brand new reel so I may give that a try.