Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
onetriphudson

Rockfish spots

I'd like to catch some taco meat but I don't have many ideas for rockfish spots. Would anyone be willing to share some numbers within a mile or two of shore to paddle to? A private message would work fine, thanks!
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
I'd like to catch some taco meat but I don't have many ideas for rockfish spots. Would anyone be willing to share some numbers within a mile or two of shore to paddle to? A private message would work fine, thanks!
which shore?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
fsuindustries

I am right there with you on that question??
Anywhere from SD to Dana.

I know someone is holding some key numbers to plop into a GPS..
fsuindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
onetriphudson

Anything in San Diego or Orange county. I'm in North County SD and I usually fish shelter island just because it's easy. I've fished La Jolla once but had to leave within the first hour due to a leaky hatch. I've been wanting to get back out there but a solo trip doesn't sound too fun anymore. I'd hire a guide to show me around but can't say I know where to start with that either. Any tips would be great. I used to fish Malago Cove and PV pretty frequently which could have good calico fishing but I never wanted to harvest the fish - mostly because of the worms I'd find in the bellies and meat. Not very appetizing.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
TCS

Guides

Search for Darkhorse or The KID on bwe. Send a pm that you want some coaching. That's how you start.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Search for Darkhorse or The KID on bwe. Send a pm that you want some coaching. That's how you start.
Kevin doesn't use BWE anymore, facebook Sea Samurai if you want to get ahold of him
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

you would pay a guide to get some rockfish?... justsayin.. trophies yes, I'd spend some dough.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
you would pay a guide to get some rockfish?... justsayin.. trophies yes, I'd spend some dough.
Trophy rockfish maybe?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
mtnbykr2

touche'
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
kantstudien

If someone could put me on a limit of those... yep I'll pay
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

okay okay... trophy rock fish.. never seen one so big
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

There's loaded rock-piles all over the place...

Since my ugly mug has somehow made it on this thread already, I'll bite.

I'd be the first person to tell you that a guide isn't exactly necessary to go catch some bottom dwellers. Catching White Sea Bass and Yellowtail, consistently anyway, are clearly more challenging. There's a big, big difference, between just pulling up, and killing, a hundred dinks (4"-10" rock-fish) and coming home with the goods every time, though. Like anything else fishing, there is most definitely a method to the madness. Even if we're talking about third tier fish on the priority list.

With that said, even if I gave someone numbers to rock piles that are completely loaded with trophy morsels of the deep---proper technique is critical. Well, that's if you really want the larger models. I'm not about to type a couple pages of text going into detail, but there's probably more detail involved than most will ever realize. Location and loaded rocks mean absolutely nothing if the proper technique isn't there. Just like Yellowtail and White Sea Bass fishing.

I get a chuckle every time I hear guys talk about Central California and points to the North for targeting rock-fish. I realize they have less pressure and no doubt, a quality grade of fish lurking below. If I lived there I'd be all over it, too. It's just that we have the same fish here. Seriously. Going on two-day trips to Punta Colonet for rock-fish? Driving six hours to target rock-fish? That's just crazy talk if you asked me. Don't get me wrong, the Central Coast of California is rugged and beautiful. It's just that if you're willing to drive six hours to have a chance at quality rock-fish you're clearly missing something. Here's a question: hiring a guide to target rock-fish is crazy, but driving twelve hours to catch what you could, down the street, isn't?

The same damn fish are in our back yard, folks---all year long! Here's a photo from one of my last trips to the depths.
Just keep in mind this isn't the back of a Tarpon 16; it's a Hobie Pro Angler. The red on the left is ten pounds for perspective.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
blitzburgh

HOLY SHIT JOSH!!!