Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
taggermike

Shimano waxwing question

Fished with a buddy on his skiff last week. He was throwing a shimano waxwing and I gotta say that I have never seen a lure move like that thing did. Damn thing kicked like you could only dream a surface iron could. It didn't get bit but fishing was slow that day.
Shimano hypes it's products like crazy but these look like the real deal.

Do any of you have experience fishing the waxwing? Please share.
Thanks, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
MrPatrick

Shimano waxwing question

I've caught Barracuda, Bonita, big Macs and Calicos with the bone color on the same day.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
EntropyFletch

I fished the calico tagging trip on the Outer Limits a week ago and my dad and I both caught our biggest calicos (5#s each) on the bone waxwing. That thing killed it and it was actually more weedless than my war bait weedless plastics. I ended up being confident enough to chuck it into the kelp and wind back and never got hung up. There was quite a bit of current though so the majority of the kelp was down but still...
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
blitzburgh

They're legit. I have caught fish on the Sandeel, Bone, Sardine, Live Squid, Mackerel & Mint colors. The Live Squid color is my go-to bait. You have to fish it on a fast retrieve reel, something with 32" + per crank. I fish mine on straight braid. I have caught Calico, Corvina, Cuda, Bonies, even had a Halibut come up and chase one in the Big Bay. Still no Yellow on one for me yet. I'm no Shimano loyalist...but these things slay.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Mike, I have used them quite a few times. As fletch mentioned, they are pretty good in the kelp and I think the upwards facing hooks play a major role in that.

Last year I went out on a 3/4 day charter with my work, and I was throwing bass gear with a waxwing at the yellows. I caught 17 on the trip. Most on waxwing, some on iron and a couple on plastics. You are right about the action of the waxwings, they swim incredible. I would recommend either a heavy top shot, or ties straight to braid. First reason being they are 20 bones a piece, and second they swim better tied to the braid. You're going to be winding this bait fast enough for a fish to not care about the color of your spectra.

I have had fins break on me, and have also had them come out completely which basically trashes the bait. All in all in my opinion great lures however cost could come down a little.

For yellows/dorado the biggest one they make in mint works awesome.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
tattuna

Spotties, calico, yellows, dorado, bonita, cuda, stripers, leopard grouper, etc. They all eat it. They can take a ton of abuse. I have a lucky one I've been fishing for almost 2 years that's caught dozens of fish. They cast a mile too.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
johnnyblaze2009

My goto waxwing is a bone colored size boy I think. I have a Terez rod and a shimano sustain. It launches just as far as an iron and gets slammed twice as much in my opinion. I have caught yellows, calicos, bonitos and barracudas- from Catalina to the Coronados. And yes the upward facing hooks make it pretty much weed less in the kelp- I cast into the kelp worry free and have never gotten caught up.

johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
straightrod

I have been throwing these out allot and have not got much action on them, but I admit to not knowing much about fishing. From this reading I believe my retrieval is to slow. Should I retrieve fast and rip it along the top or let it sink some them haul it it? Thanks for any info regarding technique.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
I have been throwing these out allot and have not got much action on them, but I admit to not knowing much about fishing. From this reading I believe my retrieval is to slow. Should I retrieve fast and rip it along the top or let it sink some them haul it it? Thanks for any info regarding technique.
Fast! Fast, then medium, then fast again. Burn and pause. Play with it, but slow is not the way with these. I usually hyper wind and a quick pause every 5 or 6 cranks.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I got one of these lures last year but haven't really used it. This post got me motivated to put that thing into action
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
straightrod

Thanks for the info tattuna. Should I use it on the surface or throughout the water column?
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

They're light , won't sink too fast. It's a surface bait. Pretty much right on top

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
MrPatrick

Actually you can fish them vertically. I caught suspended fish that way.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
5-20

Just picked up a couple. One of the biggest size at 6.6" and 4.4 oz. and one at the next size down. Looking forward to throwing them.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
taggermike

Thanks for the responses. I picked up 2 of the waxwings, a small size in sardine and a larger one in the mint/white. Now I just gotta get em wet. I'll be throwing them on a 9' pheonix jig stick with a Trini 16N and straight braid. I'll post up the result when I use them. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I'll post up the result when I use them.
Right on. I am looking forward to seeing a pic of a yeller with a mint-white lip ring!
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
5-20

9' jig rod? Sweet. I've been drooling over the phenix psw jig sticks. Can't really decide if i'd be happiest with the 869h, 909h or 909xhj. They all seem like they'd be awesome and really versatile/fun to fish with.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
EntropyFletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
Fast! Fast, then medium, then fast again. Burn and pause. Play with it, but slow is not the way with these. I usually hyper wind and a quick pause every 5 or 6 cranks.

EXACTLY! They kill it with this type of retrieve. I was fishing the medium size waxwing on a Curado 200 G7 (fast retrieve rate) and an 8' Phenix M1. You can chuck these things A MILE with very little effort. Don't quite know (aerodynamic bait?) why but they cast amazing...

I had a 3' topshot of flouro but they were designed to be tied straight to the spectra, as has been mentioned.

I'm taking a bunch to Cedros next week and will have plenty of pics of pig jellos and checkers soon...I hope.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyFletch View Post
EXACTLY! They kill it with this type of retrieve. I was fishing the medium size waxwing on a Curado 200 G7 (fast retrieve rate) and an 8' Phenix M1. You can chuck these things A MILE with very little effort. Don't quite know (aerodynamic bait?) why but they cast amazing...

I had a 3' topshot of flouro but they were designed to be tied straight to the spectra, as has been mentioned.

I'm taking a bunch to Cedros next week and will have plenty of pics of pig jellos and checkers soon...I hope.
Is this a skiff trip??? If so, what boat are you going on. I'd love to go there. thanks
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
EntropyFletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
Is this a skiff trip??? If so, what boat are you going on. I'd love to go there. thanks
Yes a skiff trip but based off the island. Cedros Adventures 5 day trip. Fly in from Ensenada.

Last edited by EntropyFletch; 07-04-2014 at 03:10 PM.