Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Eagle 250 Cuda

Eagle - 250 Cuda

I have been thinking about getting a fishfinder/gps under or around $200.00. I have never used one and usually do some blind fishing around small reefs and rocks, etc.

Should i just drop the cash for one, do i need one?

http://www.nightgalaxy.com/ProductDe...116-15&click=2
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Siebler

We sold hundreds of the 250's while they were being made. Since they changed to the 350 we have sold probably another 100+ of these and have yet to have any real complaints.

good units and a good price. We do the 350 all installed with a wire seal and such at OEX for 259.95.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
good units and a good price. We do the 350 all installed with a wire seal and such at OEX for 259.95.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

I've been rockin that model FF for 4 years and have no complains. I don't take care of it and the thing keeps on tickin, it's pretty much bulletproof.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Eagle - 250 Cuda

I have been thinking about getting a fishfinder/gps under or around $200.00. I have never used one and usually do some blind fishing around small reefs and rocks, etc.

Should i just drop the cash for one, do i need one?

http://www.nightgalaxy.com/ProductDe...116-15&click=2
Can someone fish well without having a fish finder/GPS? Yes, could someone improve their catching having a FF/GPS? Yes. Do you need one maybe not, but honestly I would recommend having one so that you can see different structure on the bottom, you can mark locations that you did well on and go back. I'm a huge believer in using electronics to help on the water. Just because you see fish on the bottom doesn't mean you'll catch that fish, but at least you'll be able to see if your chances are better.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Deamon

nothing like seeing a mark on the meter, dropping the sabiki over the side and making bait...the easy way.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
premo

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL
premo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Frank O
Junior

I've had an Eagle 250 for a couple of years now, and it's worked well. If I forget the battery I can still fish, but the marks are nice to see. And if you have waypoints for features not visible from the surface, GPS is pretty much mandatory.

The only thing I don't like about the 250 is that it doesn't take a memory card, so the only way to transfer waypoints in and out is by hand. But this isn't big enough of an issue to make me want to buy a larger and more expensive GPS/FF for the yak.
Frank O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
wiredantz

thanks everyone

I have $100 in amazon american express points to use...

Should i buy the cuda 350 with GPS or should just get the Cuda 300 fish finder?

Do any of you really use the GPS part when kayak fishing? I always stay near the beaches and never go out miles away from land or after sunset or when its foggy.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-110-92-C...4213199&sr=8-1

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-04-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
TheBentRod

Quote:
thanks everyone

Do any of you really use the GPS part when kayak fishing? I always stay near the beaches and never go out miles away from land or after sunset or when its foggy.

I went out the first few times without a FF or GPS. I fished the kelp paddies out at Leo Carrillo and had a blast. I also tried to drift the areas in between the kelp with no success. During those times, I lost jigs, hooks and sinkers because I did not know of some submersed kelp stringers or rocks that rose up. This gets expensive. After I got the FF, I lost far fewer setups due to unknown structure or depth changes.

So when I purchased a lowrance FF, I went over structure and saw fish holding on rocks and was able to catch quality fish on those rocks, kayak fishing got better again. When you want to make a specific bait, such as Spanish or greenback macs, it is easier when you see a school go beneath the yak. Then I thought it would be great to be able to track the rocks for future trips. When I got a Garmin 76Cx GPS and then I was able to go back and fish the same spots with ease. I thought, I am in my element. This is what kayak fishing is all about.

If you only fish Kelp paddies, you can get by without electronics. But, about your 10th trip out and other kayak anglers come in with the quality rockfish or other exotics, you will want the electronics.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
tagyak

yes on gps

i got the lowrance x65c. it is a great unit, but if i was to do it again, i would diffidently get a unit with gps.
i bought mine based on color screen mainly and i thought that if i wanted gps, then i would just buy one on c.List, but they are still expensive. more than if i got a unit with it already built in. also would liked the fact that i could just mark the site directly on the ff and not worry about bringing the handheld gps with more batteries.
i have a garmin gps for golfing, and after two rounds i usually need to change out the batteries. it's a little inconvenient when you forget to put them in your bag......
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
tagyak

Quote:
thanks everyone

after looking at your link, i found this http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-M68C-...4242143&sr=1-1 this a unit that i would seriously consider especially for under $300
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
after looking at your link, i found this http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-M68C-...4242143&sr=1-1 this a unit that i would seriously consider especially for under $300
That would be my purchase also, that's a great little unit.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post

Thanks, this one looks like a sweet deal and it has color, but i did read a review that said they drain my battery way to fast.

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-05-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
thanks everyone

If you can afford a FF/GPS I would go for it. Two reasons, you can mark fishing location that are good and you can easily return to them, and you never know when fog or whatever will roll in. When we fished the OEX SD Bay Bass Tourney our morning was fogged in, it would have been nice to have the GPS at that time. It's worth getting. I know when I can afford it I'll be doing that.