Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
sasha

A Q about bungee cord

I need some bungee to do some rigging on my kayak. Well i found that there are two types of bungee cords. A solid and the one that is made from smaller strings. I found that the one with the strings tend to fall apart real fast. Where is a good place to buy the solid bungee cord?? Does the solid bungee have any problems???
one other Q Im thinking about rod holders.The front rod holders on stealth 14 are realy usless if you want to paddle. What might work well on the S-14 that would be fairly adj as well??

Sasha

Last edited by sasha; 01-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
wade

Oceanside OEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

236 South Coast Highway
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760) 721-6195

they have it all!!!!!!!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
I need some bungee to do some rigging on my kayak. Well i found that there are two types of bungee cords. A solid and the one that is made from smaller strings. I found that the one with the strings tend to fall apart real fast. Where is a good place to buy the solid bungee cord?? Does the solid bungee have any problems???
one other Q Im thinking about rod holders.The front rod holders on stealth 14 are realy usless if you want to paddle. What might work well on the S-14 that would be fairly adj as well??

Sasha
click on online store on this site.they will have everything you need to buy for rigging your yak
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Oceanside OEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

236 South Coast Highway
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760) 721-6195

they have it all!!!!!!!
Or

OEX Sunset Beach
16910 Pacific Coast Hwy
Sunset Beach, CA 90742
(562) 592-0800

Although places like Westmarine stores are larger you won't get the same service. OEX caters to the yakker so it's much easier to get and find what you need.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
sasha

ok im going to need to take a long drive out there and see things in person.. I plan on doing some very basic rigging first to start fishing and later on see what i like and dont like and maybe see some of the other folks kayaks.

Sasha
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
ctrujillo

Quote:
ok im going to need to take a long drive out there and see things in person.. I plan on doing some very basic rigging first to start fishing and later on see what i like and dont like and maybe see some of the other folks kayaks.

Sasha
for me thats part of the fun of yak fishing.getting to work on it on some down time.have fun and remember you can always change things up later if you dont like it
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

A bungee is a bungee. They are cheap and work well. From my experience they get lost long before they wear out. IMHO it makes no sense getting an expensive one if the basic one will do the job.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
T-Rex

Standard bungees from a hardware store will lose their elasticity and fall apart pretty quickly when exposed to sun and salt water. Even expensive ones will have problems if they're not intended for marine use.

Rubber bungees are too strong for some rigging applications, so it depends what you want to use them for and if you can find the right length. I saw a rubber bungee under pressure tear a stainless steel padeye out of an aluminum mast on a sailboat, so i'm sure they could do some damage to a nylon padeye/plastic kayak if you apply too much pressure.

The cheapest and best way to go is to get custom bungees from OEX. They have connectors, terminal ends and other gizmos best suited for kayaking. They'll cut it to the exact length you need.

I'm still using bungees I bought from OEX 4 or 5 years ago. Their polyethylene sheathed bungee cord looks like it would hold up even better.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
sasha

Thanks T-Rex, Thats what i were thinking about doing. I want to get two buttons and install one extra bungee cord to hold the front hatch on my S-14. The way its made i think it could use it. I want to see what i can make in the back of the yak to hold all the gear in place including the rods when i lanch and get back. The is that i would store all the gear so if i do flip the only thing that would hurt is my pride and have my dad get a good belly aching laugh at my expanse. As soon as it dries up im going to ride over to OEX and check everything out and ask too many Qs untill they would kick me out and wont let me back in again lol..

Sasha
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
maui jim

Bungee Cords are also called shock cords, at some sites.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I have some marine grade bungie I picked up at West Marine for 78 cents a foot
Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Siebler

Check out the new Polyethylene Bungee we have on the KFSupplies online store. This stuff is super impressive and should last a lot longer than standard bungee. We have it in stock at OEX Mission Bay, not sure about the other stores.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
wiseguy

Quote:

Sasha
Sasha, I dont know your location, but if your here in the OC or LA area, check out Andy at the OEX in Sunset Beach, pretty dam stocked if you ask me!
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote