Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Island White (Cherry Beach), 2-5-13

Landwhale and I launched at 6am and headed straight for the island. Air was cool, no wind, lots of low clouds. Water was 57º with lots of trash floating around. Got to the island and started working the areas around the docks. I was using a T-rigged pearl Swimmin' Senko. After a little bit it got nailed. After a nice hard fight I landed my Cherry beach PB, a sand bass about 2.5-3lbs. Since that fish destroyed the bait I switched to a 4" Keitech Swing Impact in Sight Flash. This turned out to be the bait for the day. I end up with 7 more fish all on that bait.

I think all my fish came in 20' or deeper, and they wanted it pretty slow. Unfortunately, I missed way more fish than I caught, including multiple releases halfway up. The docks were very busy today with lots of shore boats and 3 barges. We actually fished the whole island this time, but the dock area was where most of the fish were. A cold NW wind turned on about 7:30 and was off and on for the rest of the morning. In fact when we got out of the water at 11:00 the wind kicked up and didn't stop. This had my teath chattering until I got into dry clothes. Over all it was a fun day and after 1.5 months off the water it was much needed.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
landwhale

Good fishing with you Ed all we caught today were San Bass no other species the dock side of the island produced the best

Ended the day with 10 fish on an assortment of baits Uni Butter War Bait Heads 3" Big Hammers Fluke and a couple of local baits

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Congrats on the pb, it was really foggy last night here in north hollywood idk about la though. Hows halibut fishing by those islands?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Congrats on the pb, it was really foggy last night here in north hollywood idk about la though. Hows halibut fishing by those islands?
Thanks, it was a definite pig for Cherry, Don't know about Halibut as I haven't fished for them in 15yrs. I think people usually fish the beach for them, but I'm sure they're around the islands too. In fact, now that I think about it one of the barge captains said he gets them in his propwash sometimes. But, I've never seen him actually fishing.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Thanks, it was a definite pig for Cherry, Don't know about Halibut as I haven't fished for them in 15yrs. I think people usually fish the beach for them, but I'm sure they're around the islands too. In fact, now that I think about it one of the barge captains said he gets them in his propwash sometimes. But, I've never seen him actually fishing.
In his propwash? Thats cool i wonder how that happens. I might go and try to fish halis over there is there any bait barge or do you make your own bait?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Yeah, today was pretty good for bass in the propwash. Last couple times, not at all. Time before that, WFO. You just paddle up behind the tug (not too close mind you) and drift back. I don't know where the bait barges are, but I don't think they're close to Cherry.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Yeah, today was pretty good for bass in the propwash. Last couple times, not at all. Time before that, WFO. You just paddle up behind the tug (not too close mind you) and drift back. I don't know where the bait barges are, but I don't think they're close to Cherry.
So the fish like to go in the prop wash?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Amish Ed

I think the fish are already there, the propwash just stirs up the forage and gets the fish active. That's my theory anyways.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
sanjuancapokayak

Congrats Ed, I'm a gonna have to fish one of Landwhale tourney's one of these days. Congrats on the PB Bass. That's a big fella! I caught my PB 16" 2.0 lber and thought that was a toad. Did you click a pic? I'd like to see that sucka. I'm gonna fish D.P. tomorrow morning. Suppose to be decent weather tomorrow. I'm gonna fish San Pedro next weds with my sister. She lives there because she married a Colonel in the Airforce. Cabrillo beach. I've got a fish map of the area...but where did you guys launch from. I wanna fish Cherry Beach cause I heard that is a decent spot???
Later and Congrats,
Whit-
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
JeffB

Those Keithech are one of my hidden secrets for SDB. Your the first person I've heard throwing them besides myself. Sounded like a good day on the water. I like throwing the Keitech Swing Impact Fat in the 5" range. The black color is killer at night on the flats and shoals...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Amish Ed

No pic of the bass, my camera has crappy wide angle coverage, so I can't hold the fish. Plus, I keep in my drybag, in a pelican case. It's not my all-time PB, just my PB for Cherry, I think before today my best was maybe a pound. My all-time PB for a bass was a 9lb calico. In the kayak is about 6lb. Landwhale can give better directions, I just know how to get there (barely).
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Those Keithech are one of my hidden secrets for SDB. Your the first person I've heard throwing them besides myself. Sounded like a good day on the water. I like throwing the Keitech Swing Impact Fat in the 5" range. The black color is killer at night on the flats and shoals...
Jeff, I saw those but was looking for something as a trailer for my slip jigs. I didn't try it on the slip jig today though, they didn't seem to want it in the dark, so I doubted they'd bite it in the light. Will the Fat go on a worm hook?