Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Smellyfingers
Junior

Looking for a little knowledge

Ok, I have a couple of questions for the experienced yakers. I have seen a lot of guys put their catches on game clips. Is this just to bleed them? Ive seen other people post that could be dangerous(seal grabbing it and flipping you). Ok one last one, for the guys drifting for halibut. Which one would you prefer, a standard dropper loop or reverse? Thanks in advance for any help.
Smellyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I know you asked for experienced, but I figured I could chime in.

Game Clip = keep your fish.
No Game Clip = lose your fish.

Don't keep the fish in the water if you want to keep it.

Dropper Loop.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyfingers View Post
Ok, I have a couple of questions for the experienced yakers. I have seen a lot of guys put their catches on game clips. Is this just to bleed them?

For me.....Yes, mainly to bleed them. Unless you carry multiple clips its best to place your fish on a stringer after it bleeds out, this way, if you catch another fish your game clip is available. They say its best to do a 'live bleeding', it draws out more of the blood. During a 'live bleeding' you're bleeding the fish in its natural environment, if it has water it has oxygen, if it has oxygen the heart will continue to pump blood until its dead.

I've seen other people post that could be dangerous(seal grabbing it and flipping you).

That's an easy fix, keep your head on a swivel. Unless you've outfitted your kayak with a 1000watt amp and 6x9 speakers you will usually hear the seal coming before you even see it. When they come up for air they usually blow air out of their nostrils, that's a sure sign that they're close.

Ok one last one, for the guys drifting for halibut. Which one would you prefer, a standard dropper loop or reverse?

If you can fish two rods fish two different setups and see what works best for you. I typically fish a drop shot and a 3-way swivel. And for the record, I've caught butts, yt's and wsb and both setups.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NOW GO GET-EM!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Smellyfingers
Junior

Basically you filled the void in my brain for now. Thanks guys. I will be fishing the "SEWER" hopefully on Thursday next week. Thanks again
Smellyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

Big fish = two game clips. Not that I would know
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
taggermike

Game clip is basically to secure the fish. I use a home made sorta stringer thing, but same idea. Secure the fish, bleed it out, then it goes in the front hatch. Sea lions already know that kayaks=food so I don't leave fish in the water longer than necessary. When the dogs are thick I'll even bleed the fish through the scupper hole. Dropper loop. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyfingers View Post
Ok, I have a couple of questions for the experienced yakers. I have seen a lot of guys put their catches on game clips. Is this just to bleed them? Ive seen other people post that could be dangerous(seal grabbing it and flipping you). Ok one last one, for the guys drifting for halibut. Which one would you prefer, a standard dropper loop or reverse? Thanks in advance for any help.
As I have yet to be able to hit up the water on my Kayak, the only experience I can offer is directed to your last question from my time working/fishing on the boats.
If I'm using bait, I use a slider rig of some sort. (I bought 100 sliders years ago and still have over 50 left. Search eBay: Fish Finders Line Sinker Slides bag of 100 BLACK GOOD FOR BRAID) I attach an appropriate torpedo weight depending on current and depth.
During spring when I'm used to fishing shallow just beyond the breakers, I like a 1-2oz. sliding sinker as it's less likely to tangle when cast and/or sinks. I've found over the years that if you allow the line to slide offering no instant noticeable resistance, you allow more time for the / / or Halibut to swallow or eat the bait deep enough to be able to set the hook. I also learned from some of the deckhands on the S.D. boats and regular successful "ole timers" that used to frequent the San Pedro & Redondo boats I worked on, once you "get bit" count 5-10 seconds before setting the hook.
One reflex action I noticed from many fish, once they start to run after a few seconds, if you start to apply very light thumb pressure as if the bait was struggling or resisting, the gamefish would try to get a better "grip/bite" or disable the bait with a head shake at which time I would give the fish a few more seconds with little/no pressure, then throw the freespool lever, reel in the slack (if any) until tight, then swing for the fences (as the saying goes!).
Halibut are a finicky species as most of you know, some will spook if you add a little pressure and sometimes won't. It is my contention it has to do with how hungry the fish might be. In the spring when the grunion are running I don't use that technique as I believe the pressure spooks the fish and with all the easy bait around they can afford to grab another one that doesn't struggle.
From many of the reports written on this site from various members it sounds like many techniques you would use on a Party boat transfers to Kayak fishing without the crowds! and you are closer to the water to be able to gaff a "Head shot".
Once I'm able to get back on the water, that's the technique I intend to be using! If I have to use bait, having no luck with The Fly!
I hope this works for you as well as it did for me on the boats!
Best of luck.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote