Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
FARRIER

Question; why is it everytime I.......

So I have been fishing the ocean for a very short time compared to most all of you and I have been pondering things to improve my game. So I came up with a few questions for you pros regarding techniques. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. In regards to soaking bait, when a school comes by are you cranking up and repositioning towards the school traveling to you?
2. Many times ill be trolling bait and see something interesting on the meter and use the yoyo a bit, cast the surface iron a bit and then move on. Many people talk about soaking bait. A you just fishing your bait rod for a few minutes at a time or longer?
3.For all you that live in an apartment like me and dont have access to a hose what are you doing to wash down your gear? I have a pesticide sprayer that I refill and use for just about everything. Does anybody know
any other good was of washing your stuff down?
Thanks you all. Patrick

Last edited by FARRIER; 08-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.
FARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
da22y

Portable washer

If you have $100+ to spare.
Here is the link:

http://www.pahaque.com/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code=tepee

or

http://www.bigkahunashowers.com/

Otherwise, 2 or 3 one gallon empty plastic juice/milk bottle will do the trick too..

Danny
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
jasonb

I live in an apartment but luckily they have a little car wash area with a hose. You could always just stop by one of those coin operated car washes and spray down your stuff on the way home
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I have seen some people take gear over to the showers at the shores and give them a rinse off there.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
MVC

Since I have a long drive home when I fish at La Jolla, I rinse my gear at the showers.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
JPBeck
Noob Supreme

I'm with Jason--
Ever consider a self serve car wash? $2.50 for four minutes and they provide the soup and brush. You wouldn't even have to take the yaks down off the rack.

I have a big container with a lid on a hinge-- I fill it up with water and car wash soap before I leave the beach. Put my seat, straps, PFD, ect in it and drive home. By the time I get home my gear is nice and clean from the sloshing it went through on the way home.
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
FARRIER

I like the bucket of soap idea. I live real close to lj and my little water mister/pesticide sprayer works but im sure there is a better way. Ive used that carwash on clmt drive before but 2.50 a trip adds up fast! thanks for the replies.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
taggermike

I'll take a shot at some of your other questions. If I'm trolling a mack and see fish boiling near by I'll cast a surface iron at them. Getting your bait in and casting it at the fish takes too long and trolling right through a boil can push the fish down. When I'm on the water and in the area I want to fish I'll keep a bait out the whole time. In the yak you're going a perfect slow troll speed any way so you might as well have a bait in the water as much as possible. As for washing kayaks and gear, I used to just put all the poles and gear in the shower. The kayak I usually didn't bother to wash at all unless it had fish blood on it. MIke
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
GregAndrew

For about $40 you can get a 3 1/2 gallon portable 12v spray washer. It works pretty decent and can get all my gear and kayak rinsed. Don't have the link handy, but it is called a Nomad.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
EVS911

Hmmm....seems like you might have to stop by MR9 for social hr. after fishing.....Hi, Hi, Rinse Rinse...bye guys...! Naw Mean!!!!!
EVS911 is offline   Reply With Quote