Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Kaleb

Help! fishing effectively with your bait.

Hello! I've been out to LJ twice now. Starting to get the feel of things now. But in a nut shell this seems to be the ticket and please let me know if you recommend doing things differently!

Arrive early and drop your Sabiki or throw some lures and catch a bunch of bait just outside of the protected zone.

Paddle (or peddle Damn you!) Out to the party boat and gaggle of other kayakers.

This is where I get confused.
To fly line just nose hook and let him run? Or do you Paddle around with him? Our do both work? How much line do you let out?

Dropper loop, simply drop your bait straight down? All the way to the bottom? Reel in a few feet? Troll the dropper loop or stay on top of it?

Thanks for blessing me with yo fishing knowledge

V/R

Kaleb.
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
jorluivil

I usually pin them on the upper jaw and pedal (or paddle Damn you!). When fishing LJ I always fish one on top and another on the bottom. I will pedal slow enough so that my surface bait can swim on its own and also slow enough so that my bottom rig is still bouncing on the bottom. One of the advantages to dragging bait or pounding sand is that you can cover more ground.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

1st.Yep on the bait....... You can usually find it around the kelp.
2nd. It's up to you where to fish. You really don't need to follow the crowd. TIP... I found that the only time for everyone to be close to each other is when there is squid present. Right now there isn't so fish where you want.
3rd. Nose hook and paddle.
4th. 50-60 feet is fine. More if you want but not if your around other anglers.
5th. Dropper loops really should be straight down but a little movement is fine and sometimes help.
6th. You owe me a beer.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Kaleb

Awesome! Exactly what I needed to know! One more question, how do you troll around witha dropper loop without snagging on the bottom? I seem to snag on everything. Even wayout there.
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Awesome! Exactly what I needed to know! One more question, how do you troll around witha dropper loop without snagging on the bottom? I seem to snag on everything. Even wayout there.

That's simple .............stay away from stuff that will snag your line.

Or

Use a snagless hook

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 10-25-2014 at 10:56 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

I wouldn't exactly say that you "troll" with a dropper loop. But you need to keep your eye on the sonar to help you see what your over and what the bottom is like.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yep I keep an eye on the sonar and pull up a few feet to clear bottom clutter when needed. Not sure why some use a dropper loop anyway, it's a weaksauce 50% knot. I usually carolina rig for bottom fishing.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
Dannowar

If you dress the mackerel in drag the gay seabass can't resist
Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
taggermike

Sounds like you have most of it down. Fine tuning things can take a while though. I've found fishing the top and bottom at the same time tends to be too fast for the bottom and too slow for the top. That's just me. If you're getting hung up on the bottom rig then wind up a bit after your weight hits the bottom. Fish can see a big mackerel so a halibut will come off the bottom for it and yt or wsb can find the bait fine up in the water column. Dropping the bait back 50-60 feet is fine. Fish tend to not spook much from kayaks and having the bait closer can, some times, help you get your bait back to the kayak in one piece when a dog starts shopping you. Leave the party boats alone. They're going to pull in most of the dogs so keep away and enjoy some dog free fishing. I try to fish conditions and not crowds. If there are birds or breaking fish I'll go to that area even if there is a bit of a crowd. If there's just a bunch of boats sitting around I'll leave them to it and go on my way. I hate missing a good bite and winding in to find the hook turned around and buried in the baits head. I found hooking the bait in the mouth and up out the nose instead of across the nose helped the hook stay free a bit better. Lately I've been experimenting with bridling my baits. The baits are living much better and never getting foul hooked. You can use a bigger hook also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUeoJ6CKbk
Lastly, if you're not, I recommend using 30 or 40 lb line. This site is full of stories of guys getting broken off, losing fish in the kelp, or fighting medium sized yellow tail for 15-20 minutes. As well as getting fish taken by sea lions. Of course this is sport fishing, not commercial fish killing, but as a the fight .drags on the balance shifts from your favor to the fish's. The hook is making a bigger hole in the fish's jaw, the fish has a longer time to find kelp or a lobster trap line, a little nick in the line is passing through the guides many times. And worst in my opinion, it gives the dogs a longer time to find you and steal the fish. Even if you're CnR-ing a short fight gets the fish back in the water with a better chance of survival.
Damn did ever ramble, hope this helps. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
pbb

I, like Kaleb, was wondering if fishing low (dropper loop, reverse dropper loop, carolina rig, etc.) implied fishing far enough from the kelp that one can be fairly sure that one won't hang up on it at the depth one is fishing.

Jorge's response says yes.

How much weight are people putting on low rigs. I've heard talk of 1-2 oz. egg sinkers on carolina rigs, which seems like it wouldn't take the bait down very deep without letting a lot of line out behind the boat.

Salmon fishing up north, folks use banana mooching weights or sliding trolling sinkers on lines that aren't on a downrigger. They tend to be more in the 12 once to 2 pound range. Seem like one could also tie a torpedo sinker above the bait.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
FISH11

To drift while using anything on the bottom, you need to go out far enough to get past the kelp stringers usually close to 100' of water. I go out to 130' past 140' then lower your rig and you'll be able to cover a lot of ground. This year there aren't as many lobster buoys as in the past. Some people use up to 8oz, I tend to use 4oz to 6oz., that keeps the line down even with some of the bigger macs. Mostly it personal preference on the depth or weight.