Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

NPB Thresher 10/28/11

Launched at around 6:30 from my regular spot at the end of balboa peninsula with my friend matt and his buddy that I met for the first time today, Tony. Goal for the day: obtain an awsome video clip of a t shark doing some jumps. I had the gopro headmounted and was ready to go. The weather was nice (bone chilling at first) but there was no wind, the water was glassy and the sunrise was unobstructed by any clouds and soon warmed up the morning. The fishing was slow to begin with. Bait was not making an appearence at all. Every mark on the finders turned up lizard fish. Finally after about 2 hours I managed a mac and it was the perfect size for the job. Better make it count. I pinned him down and weighted him to about 40 or 50 feet and started to drift. While I continued my search for bait I managed to hook a small sand bass about 11 inches on the sabiki. The mac stayed soaking for a good 2 hours with only small wacks here and there. Id catch a tail wack and wait for the take but no dice. Then all of a sudden line starts peeling off like crazy. Here it is. I hit the power button on the go pro and hit record. This guy feels a little bigger then my last thresher, I try to get his head turned and he's not giving much. Finally get him out in front off me and wait for the money shot. There it is! He jumps and dances to the left, clears his tail by a good foot. Splash. Imediately jumps again straight out then dives. A good hour goes by just working him back to the surface. He's doing big circles around the yak now about 10 feet under me, the whole time I've got my hand underwater getting awesome shots with the gopro. If I had to guess he's about 8 or 9 foot. Get him to the yak and find that I've foul hooked the right pec fin again! Second time in a row now my hook has slipped on 2 seperate sharks to foul hook. (Maybe I need to step up from a #3 circle to something larger to catch the jaw better?) Get him flipped with no real struggle while Matt braces my yak on the oposite side for me. Unhook, give him a little nudge away and watch him swim off to get fatter for future catch. Beautiful. It's not till I get all the way back to the truck that I realize my mistake. I've never filmed with a gopro and didn't remember that it does not power on in video mode. You need to push the power button twice more to switch do video. So the whole time Ithought I was filming I had only taken one photo of me holding a bent rod. Aaaaarg! I'm so disappointed right now but whatever ill try again Monday. Bottom line 6 hours of fishing, 1 catch and release, 1 hook up and snapped line and a whole lot of lizards

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

#3 circle? i use 8/0 and 10/0 for leopard shark and threshers. gotthen all of them in the mouth.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

correction

I ment to say 3/0 owner mutu circle hook not #3. I'm thinking either its slipping out of their mouths even with the "hangnail" and a bigger hook will have more chance to catch the jaw. Honestly I'm not the expert on this I only use that small because I'm imitateing johnny ceviche after watching him on youtube haha.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
lowprofile

well for sardines then a 4/0 would be fine but i wouldnt go less. for mackerel in the 14-16" range use an 8/0 gamakatsu circle through the nose. they dont have huge mouths but the meat around it is pretty thick and the 8/0 grab really well and the skin wont ubstruct the opening of the hook.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Do you like the gama's better then owner? I use their octopus and misquito hooks but I've always liked owners circle hooks they tend to stay sharper with less upkeep in my opinion. To each there own, but ill give the 8/0s a go next time I pick up tackle. Thanks for the info

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
lowprofile

i dont really have a preference they were on sale once and i got like 8 packs of 10/0 and 8/0 and they work.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Croaker Dave

Question

William,
How deep is the water that you are fishing for them in?
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
William,
How deep is the water that you are fishing for them in?
It always changes man. i just get out there and keep movin. I don't have a finder on my yak so I wouldn't really know.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
coxtanker421

here it is

nobody else said it , so here it is. no pics = Bee ess. jk. good report. next time.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

2 shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxtanker421 View Post
nobody else said it , so here it is. no pics = Bee ess. jk. good report. next time.
I could give you one really great shot in 1080p of a very bent rod but that doesn't exactly prove anything huh? I'm gonna try again Monday and I'm doing gopro drills at home right now so hopefully I can put your bull shiat meter to rest. Here is a quick vid of the last one I got to the yak till next time.http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0021.mp4

Last edited by William Novotny; 10-29-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: fix vid
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
BChichi
Junior

Nice Mako on the line

I just wanted to say that I am looking forward to your next video of a thrasher jumping. Thanks for the short mako video! Keep up the good work. I know how hard it is to do anything once you've hook a nice fish on a Kayak so adding Video to the mix is just a bit much. Good luck on your video quest! Stay thirsty my friend.
BChichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChichi View Post
I just wanted to say that I am looking forward to your next video of a thrasher jumping. Thanks for the short mako video! Keep up the good work. I know how hard it is to do anything once you've hook a nice fish on a Kayak so adding Video to the mix is just a bit much. Good luck on your video quest! Stay thirsty my friend.
I wish that was a shortfin mako in the vid. No that was a thresher, landed and kept for meat. Hopefully I can keep my wits about me long enough to make sure the caera is filming next time.