Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
5-20

Jackson and Malibu Kayaks - Advice Needed About a Couple of Thoughts

I need to get myself into a kayak soon!!! I thought I had it narrowed down to the Stealth 14 or the X-Factor. However, I'm also somewhat intrigued by the Jackson Cuda 14. I like the idea of having a little extra speed and possibly not beating up my bad shoulder as bad as I would with one of those wider Malibu models which might require a little extra paddling effort. Yeah, I still want to paddle, despite my bad shoulder. We'll see if this proves to be a foolhardy decision. Ha-ha. Aaanyway, moving on.

Admittedly, one design feature of the Jackson makes me somewhat nervous. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this, but I really don't feel comfortable with the wide open center storage area. I'm thinking it might be a recipe for disaster. I can see myself using that storage area frequently and perhaps becoming lazy or complacent about securing the straps that hold the lid in place and then one day, possibly take a surprise wave over the sides and have the yak fill up with a ton of water. I'm just not sold on the rather flimsy lid and the pair of straps that hold the lid in place at all.

Am I over thinking this? There's a good chance that as I become more comfortable with BTB fishing, I'll want to venture out to the kelp by myself on more than one occasion, and obviously, the most important thing, above anything else would probably having a rig that has the best chance of getting me back to the launch every time.

Also, I'm starting to like the X-Factor a little more than the Stealth 14 and I've read tons of information about both models, but I'm also wondering if there's anything else I might've missed that pushed you guys towards one model over the other?

Thanks for any/all advice related to the things I'm thinking about as I decide which yak would be the best for me.

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote