Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
sammysamsam

saltist help

I looking to get a saltist 35h/40h for throwing irons and live bait but cant decide whether i should go with the black gold star drag or 1 speed lever drag.

Do they cast the same? does the narrow spool help with casting often and keep the line playing nice? most likely be using 30-50lb braid for yt/thresher.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

They both cast about the same. I would not want to go with a lever drag on a jig stick personally because I don't want to fig-git around with setting the drag on each cast. Star drag all the way with jigs both yo-yo and surface. However, for live bait you can't beat a lever drag.

As far a narrow versus wide that is definitely personal preference. A narrow spool is not comfortable in my hands because I have to reach across the rod blank in order to thumb the spool. A wider spool is easier with the spool much closer to your thumb. However, to wide of a spool can also impair the line going on flat and will give you many backlashes. Find one that suits you best, but a Saltist BG40H really can't be beat for an all around choice.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
tagyak

hi i have also been looking around for a diawa and was considering a black gold. i love the looks of them. but now i am leaning towards the new reel that is coming out called SEAGATE. i believe this is replacing the SEALINE, i am not too sure though.
the seagate is lighter due to the composite material that is used instead of the aluminum body but very durable similar as the sealines. i also like that the cost are reasonably low. i am waiting till they come out sometime this month to get them. i believe they have the 35 model as well.
good luck on your search.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
hi i have also been looking around for a diawa and was considering a black gold. i love the looks of them. but now i am leaning towards the new reel that is coming out called SEAGATE. i believe this is replacing the SEALINE, i am not too sure though.
the seagate is lighter due to the composite material that is used instead of the aluminum body but very durable similar as the sealines. i also like that the cost are reasonably low. i am waiting till they come out sometime this month to get them. i believe they have the 35 model as well.
I've been watching for the seagate also, but for 30 more you can get a saltist. I'm waiting for a review to come out on em.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I've been watching for the seagate also, but for 30 more you can get a saltist. I'm waiting for a review to come out on em.
i hear ya about the added $30 for a saltist, but after speaking with some others who have the black gold, i came to the conclusion that i would like something lighter. especially if you are jigging a lot the weight of the saltist can get to you.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
They both cast about the same. I would not want to go with a lever drag on a jig stick personally because I don't want to fig-git around with setting the drag on each cast. Star drag all the way with jigs both yo-yo and surface. However, for live bait you can't beat a lever drag.

As far a narrow versus wide that is definitely personal preference. A narrow spool is not comfortable in my hands because I have to reach across the rod blank in order to thumb the spool. A wider spool is easier with the spool much closer to your thumb. However, to wide of a spool can also impair the line going on flat and will give you many backlashes. Find one that suits you best, but a Saltist BG40H really can't be beat for an all around choice.
great input Kid. You make good pts with thumbing the spool. This is why i love low pro baitcasters. Ill have to go test them out at the tackle place before i buy one. Ill prob end up buying both lever drag for trolling and star drag for jigging.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

gear junkies!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
sammysamsam

Quote:
i hear ya about the added $30 for a saltist, but after speaking with some others who have the black gold, i came to the conclusion that i would like something lighter. especially if you are jigging a lot the weight of the saltist can get to you.

saltist seem to be as heavy as any other aluminum reel in its class. am i wrong?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post
saltist seem to be as heavy as any other aluminum reel in its class. am i wrong?
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
gear junkies!
Matt's kind of gear includes:

an assortment of whips, bull rings, handcuffs, plugs (and not for your ears), and other things xxx.

Just was reminded by this old post

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=nose+hooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Try this.............
hahaha gotcha
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Damn Kids these days! They remember everything!

Ooops.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Matt, you're such a freak. We still going fishing this weekend?
coming from Tunataxi that's a complement.
tunataxi1.JPG

go with the old saltist 30, on sale at big 5 for $120

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
jorluivil

HAHAHAHAHA.....I still get PM's on Bloodydecks regarding my girlfriend

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
coming from Tunataxi that's a complement.
Attachment 4938

go with the old saltist 30, on sale at big 5 for $120
Thanks for the info. Picked up a new 35h saltist after playing with it at tackle store. Newer ones look cooler and already have the carbontex drag on them tho. Looking for a lever drag 40 size now.

Last edited by sammysamsam; 09-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
sammysamsam

Quote:
Quote:

any new info on that seagate? i cant really find anything. my curiousity is tingling on how heavy they will be compared to the saltist.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post
any new info on that seagate? i cant really find anything. my curiousity is tingling on how heavy they will be compared to the saltist.
from what i have been told it is very similar to the sealine, both are composite bodies not a aluminum body like the saltist.