Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
yaky yak

Napping on kayak.

I often leave Riverside around 3:00 am to fish La Jolla. Its not rare for me to spend 12 hours out on the water getting the most out of my trip.
There has been a few times I have gotten so sleeping out on the water I thought about tieing off to some kelp and taking a short nap. It normally goes away after a while, but fear of waking up on the rocks or out of sight of land (or flipping)has kept me from taking a cat nap. Anyone ever paddle out in the middle of the kelp and catch some zzzzz's.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

My old Scupper Pro won't let me do it, but I'll bet it would be easy in the new PA! Just use one of those plastic extension cord keepers and clip off on a nice kelp stalk and snooze away...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

I haven't slept at the kelp beds, but I've once or twice tied to one of those sailboat parking things in the harbor and caught some shut eye. It would be kind of scary to have a rude awakening to roll and dip into the water. Or what you have pictured floating away from where you "tried" to tie down at....
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I nap on the yak on rare occasion, but when I do, I carry a 65 lb drift-watch-kid up front....IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 025.jpg
All kidding aside, the safest way is to raft-up with fellow nappers!IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 026.jpg

Kinda like the seals do!!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Ask Jorge, I saw a pic of him cuddling with wiredanz on a yak.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

This is one activity on a Kayak I will not do for the pure safety of it. If I'm that tired I'll work my way back in and call it a day. If you're tied up to kelp or anything you put yourself at risk of wakes, waves, or whatever it may be coming up to flip ya, or cast you adrift. Safety first people.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Thanks for the PM.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11543
PA010009.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Anyone ever paddle out in the middle of the kelp and catch some zzzzz's.
I do it all the time. I once slept for maybe half the day at BKR, to get a shot at a evening bite.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Safety first people.
LOL..... It always amazes me what people think is safe, or not safe.

It's only unsafe if your dumb enough to fall off your yak or don't properly secure your yak to the kelp. Often fishing La Jolla when it gets rough in the afternoon I'll just paddle into the kelp a few hundred yards and tie up and sleep. Beats the hell out of fighting whitecaps all afternoon and is probably a lot safer then trying to paddle in tired through rough conditions. Later when I wake up I'm rested and the conditions have usually flattened down.

You also get the shot at the evening bite.

I remember one day when it got whitecapped out and I went in the kelp to sleep. I woke up maybe around 5:00 pm and saw Josh potholing maybe a hundred yards away in flat calm conditions. Let's just say fish were caught and I had a hell of a good time that evening.

I know guys who are afraid to sleep on their boats as well. Hell if I'm tired I'll anchor up and take a nap inshore, or if offshore I'll set out a dine on a clicker and lay down on the deck. You usually get a good hour before a blue comes by and picks up the dine, and I have had days where I woke up to a screaming reel and a tuna bite. Getting a little rest even if it's only twenty minutes or so can sometimes make a hell of a difference as to how your day goes, and honestly getting a little sleep is often a lot safer then whiping yourself out to the point you can hardly make it back to shore, and then fighting traffic back home.

I mean if your not comfortable doing something by all means don't do it, but don't bag on those of us who can.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
mtnbykr2

I don't and I do have to agree with Jimmy on this one...to many things can happen plus you can sleep when you get off the water it's safer,
but to each his own...
Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

X2.....sounds like Jim has it wired.

slow mornings on the squid beds, or blown out afternoons r always a good time to catch some ZZZ's. I fish from a revo and have no prob takin siestas otw.

Also for days when the fish r closer to the launch u can fish early, eat/nap on the beach in the afternoon and then do the pm sesh.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
INGRIDSDAD

After 100 mile drive from Riverside to La Jolla and fishing for a few hours there is nothing better than a nap on the water. I slept alot better on my x factor, but I manage a few hours on the revo. I caught my pb yellow that way.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I have napped on the yak before. Passed out in long beach harbor and woke up to the tooting of a big ship. Far away from me though
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Yakin

I have a question on all this what if let's say a long drive to LJ i get down there in the harbor and tie up on the dock and pass out for hours or the night would i get into trouble?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
I have a question on all this what if let's say a long drive to LJ i get down there in the harbor and tie up on the dock and pass out for hours or the night would i get into trouble?

only if HTBO is around..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Which harbor is that?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
No docks at LJ so no trouble there, but the middle of that kelp does look pretty inviteing around noonish when the wind kicks up. I have a prowler 14ft now. She's stable, so long as I didn't dream I was catching a fish and roll over to much. Its calm in that kelp except for the worse conditions. You couldn't drift far if you came unanchored.
It's a different ballgame for some of us who drive hours to the launch and to make it worth it fish can't see to can't see and beyond.
I envy you guys who can fish a few hours then be home for dinner. It's a 24 hour trip for me and I do it sometimes twice a week for months at a time. I give my boss fish to let me off. during the week.
I'll be there in the morning to see if I can hook up another angel shark on my gulp squid.
thanks for the feed back. See you all on the water, if I am a wake.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
No docks at LJ so no trouble there, but the middle of that kelp does look pretty inviteing around noonish when the wind kicks up. I have a prowler 14ft now. She's stable, so long as I didn't dream I was catching a fish and roll over to much. Its calm in that kelp except for the worse conditions. You couldn't drift far if you came unanchored.
It's a different ballgame for some of us who drive hours to the launch and to make it worth it fish can't see to can't see and beyond.
I envy you guys who can fish a few hours then be home for dinner. It's a 24 hour trip for me and I do it sometimes twice a week for months at a time. I give my boss fish to let me off. during the week.
I'll be there in the morning to see if I can hook up another angel shark on my gulp squid.
thanks for the feed back. See you all on the water, if I am a wake.
I agree with you here coming from running springs thats why I'm asking about the harbors i know LJ has no docks but meaning like in dp or nph but just said LJ because its the 1st place that came to mine because I love being on a charter and sleeping to the sway of the boat so me taking a drive at 3 in the morning and getting to a harbor lauching and just tying to the docks and passing out? Just didn't want to waken up to a sheriff in my face or an angry boater
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
J3FFro

If its an absolute must I need a nap, I would tie up to a buddy's kayak. He could fish while I nap.

I would hate to have my wake up call to be a big a$$ wave, sea lion jumping on my kayak lol, etcc..
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
yaky yak

Never thought about a sealion join me for a nap. That would be a wake up call!