Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Bug bait

I'm looking to make a bunch of mackeral for bug bait. Does anyone know if Crystal pier, Shelter Island pier, or any other location, accessed by foot, is scoring well on mackeral in the day-time hours? Only in the San Diego county locations.
Also, has anyone had any success catching bugs on raw chicken, turkey or other than normal type of bait?
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
jorluivil

I've tried the whole rancid chicken thing, the cat food, fish guts(super messy) & old bait (anchovies/dines)....none of these worked as good as Salmon heads. Salmon heads can be hard to find for some yakkers but if you can get them they are the ticket, bugs love them.

I get them anywhere from $.79/lb up to $.99/lb, this isn't bad when you consider that each head weighs about a pound or so. I usually have them split straight up the middle, both halves fit perfectly in the cages...not to much and not to little bait for the roaches. I've never been one to sit around and try to make bait, not when I can get it what I need to $5 but to each his/her own....just not worth it for me.

Back to your question.....don't waste your time with the poultry.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
BT

Bring a sabiki down to OB pier and tip it with squid and you should do ok.

Two things to consider is you need to get the bug to your nets, and then keep them there. So first you need scent and then the hardier the bait you have the better. Bugs will tear apart mackeral before a salmon head because the salmon heads are more work. I prefer fresh bait, and wont go more than two trips with the same bait, and I always top off with fresh bait. If you do get macks, remember that the smaller ones can get pulled out of the bait cages by the bugs and the bug may leave the net with the food.

I like to get the big macks at squidco, cut them up in large disc sized and fill up the cages with that and some salmon head pieces. I also will bring a sabiki and a couple pieces of squid out with me to try and make bait if it shows up. Free bait is good bait.

As far as chicken goes, I have used old spoiled wild duck that a friend gave me. I filled gaps in the cages with it. Duck is oily, and the bugs were eating that alot, more than the macks. I have also tried pork and that seemed a little to hard for them to eat. I know people who have used chicken as a filler in their cages, but I dont think if you used just chicken you would have better success than fish.

I experimented with alot of different baits and techniques this year, and hands down (besides the duck), macks and slamon heads get eaten. One thing to look for when you drop your nets is if there is an oilly slick coming off the bait. If it still slicks, it is still good.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Amish Ed

For the slick... coke bottle (with holes punched in it), tampons and fish oil.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
Bring a sabiki down to OB pier and tip it with squid and you should do ok.

, I have used old spoiled wild duck that a friend gave me. I filled gaps in the cages with it. Duck is oily, and the bugs were eating that alot, more than the macks. .

I experimented with alot of different baits and techniques this year, and hands down (besides the duck), macks and slamon heads get eaten. One thing to look for when you drop your nets is if there is an oilly slick coming off the bait. If it still slicks, it is still good.
So Buffleheads have a use?? how about spoonies and coots??

Spoonies are not so bad though.....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
So Buffleheads have a use?? how about spoonies and coots??

Spoonies are not so bad though.....
Yeah surprised the heck out of me. Every time I pulled a net with the duck in it a bug had duck in its jaws.

If coots work I am going to head to Santee lakes with a bag of croutons and a throw net!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
For the slick... coke bottle (with holes punched in it), tampons and fish oil.
I think that only catches eggers.