Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
FleshandBlood

Any intel on Dana Point or La Jolla Calico Action?

What's going on guys I'm thinking of heading down to Dana Point maybe LJ this weekend to check on the Calico action in the kelp. Just wondering if anyone has been out there lately and how the calicos are biting? I was thinking of bringing the standard 5" swim bait set up, and throw a few jerk shads as well.

Any Intel is appreciated, tired of fishing the oil islands in Long Beach for no fish, NEED to get my first calico in the kayak this weekend!
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Vikingj

Calico a bit scarce but may be better now w the full moon/tide swing. Picked up 1 small calico, 2 sandies, 5 short hali at Doho & pipe last week. Good luck.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Same experience as Viking, Calicos seem to be a bit scarce. In the surf zone last weekend - raked baits (probably short halibut), big Smelt on the Luckycraft. Some Calicos are mixed in around the Doheney reefs and extending out along the pipe. I haven't hit the north kelp lately, but may check it out this weekend along with halibut drifting on the way back. Bait schools were findable in deeper water last week. I'll be out again Sat or Sun in the late morning through the afternoon.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Zed
BANNED

As of Thursday off DP I ran across some good mixed bass up suspended in 60-80ft. lots of bait of all types including lots o crab. I went through a handful of plastics in a short time when I zeroed in. When I found puddling small bait I would get bit on the sink and only on the sink.

1 15in hali on a 10in mack no trap. Pretty slow but the hour or so of suspended bass was fun.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
djddub
Junior

I caught 5 calicos at the MDR breakwall this past weekend. All caught on a luckycraft. I'm planning on going back this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

You would be better off near la jolla. Got a couple good ones off the kelp while yoyo-ing for yellowtail. One close to 5 pounds. I'm sure if was targeting bass yesterday I could have put the hurtin on em.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
surfisher

I fished the reefs in North County on Monday and landed about 15 calico ranging 2-4lbs. Was great action and went through quite a few baits as well.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Dannowar

Stalked this beast in lj last week. 8.2

Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
FleshandBlood

Thanks for the Intel guys. It definitely sounds like I need to toss some plastics in the kelp a little further south. I've got the LB breakwall near me but I think La Jolla sounds like the place to be. I'm going to try to shoot down there Monday morning.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
dmrides

I have always done better off point loma (maybe that's because I never fish for them in la Jolla ). Go the the lab, green tanks, etc. Tie off to a stringer, or just tuck under your leg, and drop a 5" in the thick bushes all the way to the bottom. No bites, move 10' and repeat until you find 'em. Be sure to pay attention to what depth they are at. Fun way to fish the kelp in a kayak.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote