Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
pbb

advice for Stealth 12 PVC cart?

Hi all,

I took the plunge and bought a (used blem) Stealth 12. I had been thinking of getting last years Stealth 9 that OEX lists on clearance, but did a little research and decided it might be worth trading off something harder to handle out of the water for something easier to handle in the water.

Anyway, that said, I'm working on how I'm going to handle it out of the water.

I'm working on a PVC cart, of the general type that the hull rests between two parallel arms.

I started off just eyeballing the width, since the hull is a V, thinking it would rest fine. But then before I started gluing anything, I lowered the kayak from the garage rafters so I could get at the bottom, and realized that with the channels in the bottom of the hull, it is likely that one arm will shift into a channel and the whole thing will be off center on the cart.

But I'm worried that making it as narrow as the two larger channels might be too narrow for the cart.

The channels (and scupper holes) are about 10.25" apart on center. With my current design the wheels on my cart will be about 19.5" inches apart on the outside edges if I reduce the width so that the arms fit into the channels. Is that too narrow?

Or should I keep it wider and then plan on cinching it down and hope that that will keep it from shifting to the side? As I've cut everything now, the arms are about 14" apart.

Any advice?
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
Hi all,

I took the plunge and bought a (used blem) Stealth 12. I had been thinking of getting last years Stealth 9 that OEX lists on clearance, but did a little research and decided it might be worth trading off something harder to handle out of the water for something easier to handle in the water.

Anyway, that said, I'm working on how I'm going to handle it out of the water.

I'm working on a PVC cart, of the general type that the hull rests between two parallel arms.

I started off just eyeballing the width, since the hull is a V, thinking it would rest fine. But then before I started gluing anything, I lowered the kayak from the garage rafters so I could get at the bottom, and realized that with the channels in the bottom of the hull, it is likely that one arm will shift into a channel and the whole thing will be off center on the cart.

But I'm worried that making it as narrow as the two larger channels might be too narrow for the cart.

The channels (and scupper holes) are about 10.25" apart on center. With my current design the wheels on my cart will be about 19.5" inches apart on the outside edges if I reduce the width so that the arms fit into the channels. Is that too narrow?

Or should I keep it wider and then plan on cinching it down and hope that that will keep it from shifting to the side? As I've cut everything now, the arms are about 14" apart.

Any advice?
This one has a good DIY reputation, maybe you can incorporate some ideas from it or it will answer some of your questions.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...art-build.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I custom welded my own wheel cart for my S12 with the supports fitting perfectly in those channels and I'd recommend your cart fit them as well to keep the yak from shifting one way or the other. If you can design your cart to fit the channels up top but then be wider at the bottom for stability you'd be good to go.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
45user

I have stealth 12 and made the exact cart Sdspeed posted. It is very easy to make and pretty sturdy. Only thing I didn't do was to glue the PVC as it was told
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Dirty Curti

I also made the same one sdspeed posted. The only difference was I added posts to fit into the scupper holes so it won't shift or spread. I made sure everything fit and worked prior to gluing.

The posts have to be small as the scupper holes are in a slight angle. So I made them just long enough to go into the hole and the hull just lays on the pads.

I posted both carts made by Palmetto in the innovations section. This is the other one.http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...ayak-cart.html

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
pbb

Thanks for all the feedback. It is loosely based on the Palmetto PVC cart, but again I was eyeballing the width in my original cuts.

I might take the yak down and give a trial run in the yard at the current width before gluing everything together or deciding to cut it narrower to fit into the channels.

I didn't want to put posts for the scupper holes, b/c I saw (on youtube) that some folks turn their carts upside down on their cars and use them to load onto the racks. But I suppose I could consider putting posts that wouldn't be glued in and thus could be removed for car loading.

I'm using Lowe's 7 inch plastic wheels, which are fairly narrow (1.5"). It just occurred to me that I could buy a second pair of wheels to increase the width of both the wheel surface and the overall cart: A dually kayak cart. An extra set of wheels would be $10, and 3 additional inches of wheel width and overall cart width.

Anybody have good suggestions about where to buy pool noodles this time of year in SD? Suggestions other than Walmart are greatly appreciated...
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The standard hobie cart is around 12" wide where the supports are, so making yours 10 1/2" wide like I did to fit the stealth isn't anything to worry about. It works great
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It is loosely based on the Palmetto PVC cart, but again I was eyeballing the width in my original cuts.

I might take the yak down and give a trial run in the yard at the current width before gluing everything together or deciding to cut it narrower to fit into the channels.

I didn't want to put posts for the scupper holes, b/c I saw (on youtube) that some folks turn their carts upside down on their cars and use them to load onto the racks. But I suppose I could consider putting posts that wouldn't be glued in and thus could be removed for car loading.

I'm using Lowe's 7 inch plastic wheels, which are fairly narrow (1.5"). It just occurred to me that I could buy a second pair of wheels to increase the width of both the wheel surface and the overall cart: A dually kayak cart. An extra set of wheels would be $10, and 3 additional inches of wheel width and overall cart width.

Anybody have good suggestions about where to buy pool noodles this time of year in SD? Suggestions other than Walmart are greatly appreciated...
I bought my cart wheels at Harbor freight for $5.99 each. The pool noodle I got from Walgreens. They were displayed outside the front of the door. $2.99

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
JarrodMc

I've got an extra dolly from the X-13 I had. It's powder coated steel. PM me if interested.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
maui jim

Here's my beast cart... does low 10's in the quarter mile
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

beast cart..